N* performance help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, N* performance help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hello im jonathan im 21 yrs old and currently a diesel tech at a company shop, im an owner of ...
    jon_finkel2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

N* performance help

hello im jonathan im 21 yrs old and currently a diesel tech at a company shop, im an owner of a '98 s-10 with a 2.2L motor and i have always wanted to do something alil different motor package then the averge 350 and i think the N* is the perfect one, i have a limited bugget, and will have to do this a step project, but one of things i mainly looking for first is, to get a northstar motor that i can put in my truck and and onboard diagnotic system so if i through engine codes i could get them checked out and fix it as need and i when to this site and found a N* motor http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/46-Northstar-Crate-Engine-V-VT-12499468-P827C2.aspx and from what i have read from some caddy forum site is it would be easier to get an older style N* motor and kinda build my own from the ground up, so basically my question is what do ull offer as for what im looking for, and all im trying to do is put together a motor that has 400+ hp bolted up to a 6 speed series manual transmission like a T-56 out of a camaro or something along those lines, and hopefully get about 300ish to the rear wheels, but keep the engine N/A, changing pistons rods, and cams springs, doing some head work, porting and polishing, and maybe a aftermarket manifold with some type of fuel injection, weither it be sfi, mpi, tpi, i dont really know what ull offer the in the way of injection systems, or if the stock injection system would more then adquite, for what i am looking for, i have posted a forum looking for ideas on this matter http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-45842.htmland this are the replies i got, but mainly im just trying to see what ull have as idea to help me get started, mainly is it better to just but a bare block with some some head and buy a crank, rod, piston, and then start on my head disign, and after deciding on cams, valves, and springs, work on a intake package, and then finally an ignition system, and the computer componets to fit everything together and go with stock accessaries, one question i have been looking for is valve springs, ull seems to have a great deal of spring combo's to go with the cam package, but i have heard of beehive valve springs which are a variable rate valve spring reducing valve train wear, weight, and helps improve preformance, by basically replacing double, or triple stack valve springs, is this not nessacary for a DOHC motor? 2) i looked at a couple of pics on the site and it seems like the power steering pump is for a rack and pinion, when my truck and a resipucating ball style of steering is there a way around this? ummm that about does it for me, i looking for any information that ull can offer to clear this subject up for me please contact me at jon_finkel2002@yahoo.com , i would like to know if ull have a catalog, if so can i please have one mailed to me at
    jonathan royder
    3603 kingsway dr
    baytown, tx 77521
    or please feel free to contact me at my cell 713-302-6537

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hungryhippo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: N* performance help

i would not use a northstar for your project if you're set on 400hp. there is no kind of tuning for the stock computer so you'd have to use an aftermarket ecu which is around $1500 and start from scratch programming it. they made 350 swap kits which are way easier and cheaper. from there you can do a carbed 350 or if you want high tech, use a complete swap from a 6 speed LS1

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.