1993 Eldo...ALL THE OIL CAME OUT
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1993 Eldo...ALL THE OIL CAME OUT in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello all. I'm posting for my brother...any help would be great. He has a 1993 Eldo 100k plus miles. While ...
    yngceo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1993 Eldo...ALL THE OIL CAME OUT

Hello all. I'm posting for my brother...any help would be great. He has a 1993 Eldo 100k plus miles. While driving on I-70 around Fredrick, MD, he experienced SMOKE EVERYWHERE and had to pull over. Luckily he was by a rest area and was able to pull over.

He has a large, unstoppable oil leak. Most if not all of the engine oil has poured out of the engine . Put the car on jackstands and the leak SEEMS to be leaking right between the engine and the transmission, but I can't really see. Any suggestions? He has had this engine for less than two months (used). Anyhelp would be great. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lry99eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 1993 Eldo...ALL THE OIL CAME OUT

No other way to say it, your brother is SOL, will have to pull it again, remove and replace all gaskets and seals. There will be, and I say this with all truth, no "easy" fix. Do not attempt any oil seal or stop leak additive, do not use sandpaper or scotchbrite to clean seal surfaces, and don't do it half assed in any way, shape, or form. Get a manual on what ever engine he has and read it FIRST to completely understand what it is you are about to do or have done. Once the engine is pulled be sure to clean it as good as new and look for cracks, broken or worn spots, pulled or broken threaded bosses and so on. Also look at the aeal areas for gasket material protruding or completely missing, it may help shorten the investigation.
    Please don't think I'm assuming you and your brother are dimwits, just some stern words of caution. These leak things are always a pain and no way around doing it other than 100% correctly. Wish I had a number for you to call Madam La Rue for a love potion to fix all your woes but that number just doesn't exist.
    lry99eldo

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Well....first thing.....is this a Northstar engine or a 4.9...??? Could be either in a 93 Eldo I think.

If it is a Northstar then it sounds more like an oil cooler hose ruptured.

Realistically, there is no seal or plug that could suddenly "blow out" in the area between the engine and the transmission. A Northstar could leak or seep oil in that area but it wouldn't have a catostrophic leak in that area. Just no passage or place to leak like that.

There are oil cooler lines on the engine from the oil filter adapter that could have ruptured.

If the engine is a 4.9 then there is the possibility of a severe pressurized oil leak in the area of the engine behind the flex plate....between the engine and transmission. If that is the case and it is a 4.9 then it is likely an easy fix. Remove the oil filter adapter on the top of the engine and pull the oil delivery tube out of the block with a pair of pliers. Simply pull the tube you will see when the oil filter adapter is off and it will come out. It may have rusted thru or something...??? Replace it with a new one from Cadillac. Simple.

One thing to do is to refill the engine with oil and start it up momentarily to see where the leak is.....

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by lry99eldo
    No other way to say it, your brother is SOL, will have to pull it again, remove and replace all gaskets and seals. There will be, and I say this with all truth, no "easy" fix. Do not attempt any oil seal or stop leak additive, do not use sandpaper or scotchbrite to clean seal surfaces, and don't do it half assed in any way, shape, or form. Get a manual on what ever engine he has and read it FIRST to completely understand what it is you are about to do or have done. Once the engine is pulled be sure to clean it as good as new and look for cracks, broken or worn spots, pulled or broken threaded bosses and so on. Also look at the aeal areas for gasket material protruding or completely missing, it may help shorten the investigation.
    Please don't think I'm assuming you and your brother are dimwits, just some stern words of caution. These leak things are always a pain and no way around doing it other than 100% correctly. Wish I had a number for you to call Madam La Rue for a love potion to fix all your woes but that number just doesn't exist.
    lry99eldo

uh...what exactly could leak this severely and this suddenly in that area...???

This type of incident is more indicative of an oil cooler line bursting or something like that...not a leak or seepage from the oil pan or oil distribution plate as is typically reported.

budkidd@fuse.net is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

i would like to know what your problem is becausei have a leak there to

budkidd@fuse.net is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

i have a leak there,let me know,the fix

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.