95 Northstart Leaking Coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 95 Northstart Leaking Coolant in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 95 SLS and when I started it on Monday, I got the check coolant level warning on ...
    Gatman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

95 Northstart Leaking Coolant

I have a 95 SLS and when I started it on Monday, I got the check coolant level warning on my display. I added coolant and it went another 4 days prior to having the coolant level warning come on again.

I looked under the car and noticed I have a small drip (about 1 every 3 or 4 second) from the driver's side approximately the area under the water pump. I just changed the water pump approximately 1.5 years ago (and I changed the O ring too) I didnt' see any leakage from the top hoses. I just wondering how many areas underneath the engine in this area could possibly be leaking. Where should I look first?

As I look down into the engine compartment, I can see that the crossmember is wet but this was after driving it for approximately 30 minutes. I have monitored my engine temps while driving never getting above 210.

I would just like to know a good starting point and what type of pain I'm looking forward to in diagnosing/fixing this problem.

Thanks,
    Matt Gatten

P.S. I am mechanical and I have done work on this car before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: 95 Northstart Leaking Coolant

You have to find the leak by inspection. Do you have an inspection mirror (on an extension wand)?

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

After I replaced my water pump, I had another leak at the water pump cover. Stuff seems to crud up in the gasket groove pretty easily, so I scraped off the whole cover and sealing surface very well (and carefully), cleaned it up with clean rags, and replaced the gasket with a new one. No more leaks. Make sure you tighten the cover bolts to the recommended torque and in the recommended sequence. Other than that suggestion, I'm with zonie. A mirror and close physical inspection will probably show you exactly where it's leaking. You have to get under the car to look up at the bottom of the water pump housing.
    Mike

raymondk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 88 CPE DV, 93 ELDO TOURING

There is a core plug at the end of the head beside the exhaust port on the driver end which is covered by the cross-over pipe. Mine has leaked for 2 years. The hole is in the core plug and it takes a mirror and a lot of looking to see. The cross-over pipe passes it with about 1/4 " clearance. To fix it the cross-over pipe must be removed. To remove the pipe, the engine, or transmission must be removed. I just added 2 bottles of Bars Leak. Hope yours is something else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.