"Normal" Northstar Coolant Operating Temp?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, "Normal" Northstar Coolant Operating Temp? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; On my 96 Deville I changed the radiator two weeks ago after detecting a leak (yes...on the right side just ...
    psychosis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Two 1996 Cadillac Devilles -1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Exclamation "Normal" Northstar Coolant Operating Temp?

On my 96 Deville I changed the radiator two weeks ago after detecting a leak (yes...on the right side just as was mentioned).

The "low coolant level" message came on which is why I looked to find the leak. Now two weeks later with the new radiator, hoses, sealant, and some "Kool It" conditioner it started running hot today. The little red thermometer idiot light came on so when I checked the information center for the coolant temp and it was running about 250 degrees! All the way way home if fluctuated between 225 and 250 degrees. When moving it cools back down to 230 or so. But sitting in traffic climbs right back to 250 quickly.

Seems too hot to me buts it also seems to be running OK. I was thinking maybe a water pump? Fan not coming on? It just turned 50 thousand miles.

Does anyone know what is the "normal" coolant operating temp for a Northstar on a warm (90) florida rainey day with the AC on?

Thanks in advance.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: "Normal" Northstar Coolant Operating Temp?

Normal seems to vary a bit from 198-220 or there abouts. Mine runs 206 in the summer and 213 in the winter. Do a search. there is a lot of info. Check the water pump belt tenioner, purge line, pressure cap, coolant mix, thermostat.

dstarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black '99 Deville

Check the electric fans. If they ain't running, you will overheat when stopped in traffic. When you are moving, enough air pushes in the grille to keep the temp down, but you need the fans when stopped. Fans are mounted on/near the radiator and maybe they got unplugged when the radiator was changed..

David Starr

madusk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Your fans should come on around 225-230. They should also come on rifht away if you turn the A/C on.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

240 at times can be tolerated, however beyond that I would be REAL careful.

I know, not real helpful.

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

When I'm driving it goes to 191 ~ 199, stopped in traffic sometime goes over 220, but never over 230 I believe. If your car starts to overheat, can't you turn the temp to 90 then set the fan speend to high to help it cool down?

outlaw1369 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado 1996 Sedan Deville

"Kool It" conditioner? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in the service manual??? Only GM Pellets should have been added to the lower radiator hose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.