97 Concours....SOLD!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 Concours....SOLD! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, I just sold my 97 Concours and I am glad to be rid of it . Nothing but ...
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member

97 Concours....SOLD!

Hey guys,

I just sold my 97 Concours and I am glad to be rid of it . Nothing but a headache. I invested days and days worth of the combined labor and over $1200 street price in parts for her. I think I want to go with a simpler, and more reliable caddy. After everything I learned about caddies from this car and from you guys, I don't want all that knowledge to go to waste on a Lincoln (I do also have a '95 Mark VIII -I got it pretty cheap from the original owner.....who could resist?). What do you guys recommend in the $4k-$8k price range. I want something from 1994 and onwards. Any opinions on the 4.9? I drove a deville with one last week and they are pretty powerful. The northstar seems easier to work with though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I am actually checking out a couple of devilles and wanted some opinions. A 1996 with 120k with a clean title or a 1994 Concours with 100k also with a clean title. What problems can I expect? Is the transmission still strong? The engine? How far up in mileage do these go before they need new transmissions/enginges or anything else that comes to mind? That's all I know about these cars as I found them on the net.
    p.s. I sold my concours mentioned above because it was salvaged titled and gave me a bunch of problems.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 97 Concours....SOLD!

ONLY, and I emphasize ONLY get one with a maintenance history..... IMO anyway...... Carfax also......

Id personally look into something with the 4.9..... Very dependable, and almost as fast as the northstar...... 93 was the last year for the Seville/eldo, and 94 was the last year for the deville...... Also, the 4.9 is probably gonna be somewhat easier to work on, since its a little more simple.......

The fleetwood (with LT1) is also a good choice, and more dependable than the 4.9..... I dont know if you want a big boat like that, though......

The tranny should still be fine...... GM makes wonderful trannies, and seem to hold up decent even under bad maintenance..... Make sure the fluid is good condition, and there's no slipping (cold or warm) and it'll be fine......

Again, all these things depend on maintenance....... Engines should last the life of the car..... However, under equal maintenance, on average, you will go through 2 or 3 trannies per engine......

cadillac6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I jusr recently purchased a 1997 cadillac deville concours. It is a beautiful car and i love it. Only problem is my service engine light just came on. What problems did you have with yours? my car has 79,000 miles on it and i got it for $7,350 off of ebay. Please respond I would like to talk to you about this

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac6
    I jusr recently purchased a 1997 cadillac deville concours. It is a beautiful car and i love it. Only problem is my service engine light just came on. What problems did you have with yours? my car has 79,000 miles on it and i got it for $7,350 off of ebay. Please respond I would like to talk to you about this
    You got an amazing price. Is the title clean or has the car been in an accident?

Now:
    First, disconnect the negative terminal to the battery, and then the positive. Come back a half hour later and reconnect. Start the car and take it for a spin. If the light turns off then it was just a fluke. If it is on put the car in park with the ignition running. Press the "off" button and the "warmer" button. For you, it is the button all the way on the right with the arrow pointing upwards. Hold them down until the dash lights all come on. Let go and quickly jot down all the codes it will spit at you until it stops, and report them back here where I will give you further instruction.

The engine doesnt have to be on....... In fact, there is no benefit of code reading to have the engine on.....

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    The engine doesnt have to be on....... In fact, there is no benefit of code reading to have the engine on.....
    Thank you. I know that. But what difference does it make?......none. I am just trying to make it simpler for that guy

Yeah i did get an excellent price on it! I went to my local caddy dealership and looked at the same car and they wanted $13,000 for it and it had 11000 more miles than mine has! crazy i know. Anyway the code thing has me a lil confused I dont want to mess anything up with my car. Should I just take it to my local auto zone and have them check out the codes? please help guys

Oh and the title is clean and it has never been wrecked

Do it yourself, its really simple.
    Just have the car on in park, press the "OFF" button next to the a/c button. While holding that down, press the temp UP button and hold both until the lights on your guage cluster all light up. THen let go and right down all of the codes it reads to you. Then, simply turn off the car. Those codes will tell exactly why the "check engine" light is on. You can't mess anything up following this basic precedure and we can't help you if you don't.

Agreed.... and thats probably the easiest way......

Ok i did what you guys said to do. I checked the codes for my car this morning. I dont know how to read these things but some said current, and some said history. I just wrote down the ones that said current. I dont know how to read these codes so im hoping you guys can help me out.

P0135
    P0141
    P0147
    P0155
    P1139
    B1312
    C1783
    C1785
    B2719

These are all the ones it read out to me that were under "current" I hope this is not bad I pray it is not. Please help me out guys! :disappoin

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac6
    Ok i did what you guys said to do. I checked the codes for my car this morning. I dont know how to read these things but some said current, and some said history. I just wrote down the ones that said current. I dont know how to read these codes so im hoping you guys can help me out.

P0135
    P0141
    P0147
    P0155
    P1139
    B1312
    C1783
    C1785
    B2719

These are all the ones it read out to me that were under "current" I hope this is not bad I pray it is not. Please help me out guys! :disappoin
    It's pretty bad because you have nine current codes and the history codes (that means that those errors occured but did not occur at the time of the diagnosis; those may still be problems). But for now let's just worry about these current ones.

P0135 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
    P0141 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
    P0147 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3
    P0155 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1
    P1139 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insuff. Switching Bank 1 Sensor 2
    B1312 - High Side Temp Sensor Open Circuit
    C1783 - ICCS2 DL Left Output Short Circuit to GND
    C1785 - ICCS2 DL Right Output Short Circuit to GND
    B2719 - CTD-Trunk Tamper Switch Fault

Damn this car has a lot of stupid little problems. None of those are major problems. Basically all of your oxygen sensors are messed up which I have never seen. Usually it's one or two sensors which leads me to believe that it might be something else, but I am doubtfull. First thing to do is buy all four sensors for those specific locations and label them (bank 1 sensor 2, etc..). You can buy them from the owner of www.usedbritishparts.com I bought some bosch universal sensors for my audi last year and he charged me $30 per sensor, as opposed to $170 for the same brand at a mechanic. Then, take it to a mechanic to change all of the sensors which is less than an hour of work so it should cost around $60 labor. That should solve your "check engine" problem and give you a smoother ride. Right now, you are probably running rich which is REALLY bad for your cat. The c1783/1785 is a short in your RSS (road sensing suspension) so I assume your "service ride control" indicator is on too. Also, the B1312 is most likely a fuse which would make you very lucky. Just check the fuses in the trunk and under the hood and replace as necessary. Anyways, one thing at a time. Do what I told you above and report back the results. Also, look up the members link in the forum and check all the posts by me. I had the almost identicle problems with the identicle car and managed to fix them myself. Good Luck.
    GENERAL QUESTION TO ALL:
    IS IT JUST ME, BUT EVERY 97 DEVILLE CONCOURS HAS A LOT OF PROBLEMS? EVERYBODY I MEET WITH A 97 CONCOURS HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS I DID WITH MINE. ANY OPINIONS WOULD BE NICE.

Hmmmm.... 97 started the new design for the deville, right..... 93-96 had the same design......

It does seem as if your hypothosis is correct......

For your codes, Id clear em, and then check them again in a day or so...... Obviously, your o2 sensors are gone, so you'll wanna get those fixed....... Not so sure on the rest......

Ok I checked that site and he doesnt have any o2 sensors for my caddy but i will find somewhere where i can buy them for cheap any help would be much appreciated. My service ride control isnt on. As for the other codes what do they really mean? could it just be a fuse? and what is it with these newer cadillacs and the "ride control"? i mean mine does handle different when i am traveling at high speeds. And I have noticed that since the "service engine light" has been on I havnt been getting good gas mileage. Please help guys!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.