Radiator leak...how much $$$?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Radiator leak...how much $$$? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a known leak in my cooling system, started first as a small leak in the transmission cooling line ...
    weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Radiator leak...how much $$$?

I have a known leak in my cooling system, started first as a small leak in the transmission cooling line but I think it's getting worse(I can see drip marks on the ground where I parked), the leak is somewhere here(see above) and drips through the bottom of my car along the frame. The tech told me they might have to pull out the radiator and that's going to cost quite a bit. Anyone have suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Radiator leak...how much $$$?

Have you already ruled out the water pump or cover leaking? Thermostat cover gasket? Hoses?

You may have already been down these roads, but be sure before you go spending $$$ on the radiator because the water pump can be leaking and dripping down on top of things, and you won't be able to see it unless it's pressurized and actively dripping. Crawl under there and look up at the water pump housing. Is it dry?
    Mike

JEMLRDB17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wink Re: Radiator leak...how much $$$?

I have the same issue with my 94 Deville Concours. Not sure what is causing it yet, but I just dropped it off at the auto shop today. I will let you know what he tells me.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Welcome to the club!

I had a waterpump go, and my radiator go, check the plastic side tanks on the radiator for leaks after the system is hot/pressurized, if it's not coming from there, check the waterpump. The waterpump is cheaper and easy to do yourself provided you have the waterpump tool (can usually rent it from autozone type place for cheap, otherwise buy it for 10-20 bucks). The radiator is a bit more time consuming but easier IMO as all you have to do is drain, disconnect hoses, remove fans, disconnect airbag sensor (just in case), and unbolt it, the cost on the radiator is 300ish, waterpump 120ish, least that's what mine cost but you can always check www.gmpartsdirect.com to get a better idea in case you think a mechanic would rip you off (dealers will so be wary, their parts markups can be 50-100%!)

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have purchased 2 radiators from arrowhead radiator for about $140 shipped. The brand they sell is Silla (they are chinese I believe). I do not have a lot of run time with them but are working ok right now.

Oaky just got back from the mechanic and he says the radiator needs to be replaced due to a leak on a welded parts Oh and it's leaking transmission oil not coolant, so technicially I can just forget it and just add trans oil every now and then. I believe what he says but replacing a radiator is expensive no? Labor I'm worried about. Should I replace anything else if I get a new radiator? Just got my fuel filter changed and cost me 70 bucks, $46 was for labor.

Turns out the worst case is mixing coolant and transmission oil...the mechanic called me and said he might be able to match the price for whatever I can find, I serched some stores and they have a choice of heater core and condenser, which is which?

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by weister42
    Oaky just got back from the mechanic and he says the radiator needs to be replaced due to a leak on a welded parts Oh and it's leaking transmission oil not coolant, so technicially I can just forget it and just add trans oil every now and then.
    So what made you think it was coolant to begin with? Was it a red oily spot or wet green or yellow one?

Turns out the worst case is mixing coolant and transmission oil...the mechanic called me and said he might be able to match the price for whatever I can find, I serched some stores and they have a choice of heater core and condenser, which is which?
    Niether. These are part of your A/C system. You want a radiator.

Another option might be to install an aftermarket transmission cooler. This would allow you to bypass the internal transmission cooler. Much cheaper fix and better on the tranny.

starfox86 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 cts-v

Oaky just got back from the mechanic and he says the radiator needs to be replaced due to a leak on a welded parts Oh and it's leaking transmission oil not coolant, so technicially I can just forget it and just add trans oil every now and then. I believe what he says but replacing a radiator is expensive no? Labor I'm worried about. Should I replace anything else if I get a new radiator? Just got my fuel filter changed and cost me 70 bucks, $46 was for labor.
    wow,sorry to say,but u got ripped...a fuel filter i believe is like under ten bucks!....and there are just two clips under the car that jus pop off with enough force, and then the new one jus pops right back in. but, i guess you saved ur hands from getting fuel on them...I just bought a new radiator from performance radiator on ebay actually for 122 bucks plus 15 for s/h!!!....what a deal~!...and it is Just like the OEM and i am also having a problem with the loss of trans. fluid in my 94 seville, i see it leaking on the bottom. for now, i just fill it up every other day. which does indeed suck. hopefully urs isnt too bad of a leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.