1998 Deville has leak at water crossover (150,000 miles)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1998 Deville has leak at water crossover (150,000 miles) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The water crossover has a leak that drips on the driveway. I need to replace the 4 gaskets on the ...
    rockhoundrob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

1998 Deville has leak at water crossover (150,000 miles)

The water crossover has a leak that drips on the driveway. I need to replace the 4 gaskets on the water crossover. I know this is a fairly big job, but my main concern is... how likely is it that one or more of the 8 crossover bolts are rusty and will break when I try to remove them from the water crossover?

Or any other advice? what about putting those "stop-leak" tablets in the coolant? this is not a typical minor leak, but maybe about 1/2 pint leaks out per day. I heard most mechanics say they dont like doing this because it can plug up the radiator and make the engine run hotter.

Note: I only plan to keep this car until this summer (which is why i cont want to pay the dealer $1000 to fix this)

Many thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1998 Cadillac Deville has leak at water crossover (150,000 miles)

We agree with "most mechanics", however your car came with those sealant tabs from the factory and may have had them replaced several times with coolant changes as GM did not quit using or recommending them as regular maintenance until about '02. Judging from the size of the leak as you describe it, it may be too big for sealant tabs to work.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Id replace the gaskets, as much of a pain in the ass this job this is(i removed mine before), it's not impossible, with the right documentation at hand.

Re: 1998 Cadillac Deville has leak at water crossover (150,000 miles)

Yea, I was looking at the manual. I can understand most of the instructions... but do I REALLY need to remove the throttle body? I can understand why I need to remove the other things, but maybe when I get there, I will see why. But from what I see, I may not have to remove the throttle body. The air intake, EGR valve (EGR hoses) and the MAF sensor, yes... but throttle body?

What about removing the bolts from the throttle body (to separate it from the intake manifold), but not removing all the cables? and lift it up (about 4 inches) and hold it out of the way with twine.

Again... what about the 8 bolts holding the crossover? How likely are they to be rusty and might break when I try to remove them? Has this happened to anyone or any other things I need to watch out for?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The TB will be in the way when you go to lift the crossover out. You could leave it connected, but it'd be easier if it were out of the way. When I did mine, I removed EVERYTHING from the area, and took everything off of the crossover to make it as small and easy to maneuver as possible, and it was still tight.

I wouldn't worry about rusted crossover bolts. There's sealant on them, they should be fine.

Re: 1998 Deville has leak at water crossover (150,000 miles)

Well, I got everything out of the way (throttle body, etc...)... but the wires that go to the PCM and the fans, etc... were in the way of the bolts to take out the crossover. So I gave up and put everything back together. BUT, I was able to tighten 4 of the top bolts of the crossover and the leak has been reduced by about 90%. I will add "stopleak" to the coolant and see if that helps with the other10%.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.