2003 Head Gasket Repair - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2003 Head Gasket Repair in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Not positive, but I believe that's the old style cover....
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Not positive, but I believe that's the old style cover.

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts

Re: 2003 STS coolant leak (possible crossover leak)?

gasket.jpgalso on the ac delco gasket there is a tab at the bottom right of the gasket and the felpro doesn't have it ,does this matter?felpro.jpg

I'm confused and can someone help if they can I got everything apart.my water pump cover looks like the updated one except for the square/tab part in the grove where the gasket goes , my cover has the three square tabs around the edges like the updated Cover but the inside grove has that tab where the gasket goes.should I get the cover without the groove tab or get a gasket that has the tab on it?

20140225_212806.jpg

20140225_212855.jpg

If that's the old style cover, you really shouldn't use the new style gasket. So yeah, either get the old style seal, or (the better option) get the new style cover. Looking at how the seal fits, it actually may be the correct cover. Does it move side to side or is it snug in there? Does ~ half of the seal stick out past the mating surface?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Anyone know when the switch over was?

Also there is a slight difference between the felpro gasket and the the AC Delco.the Delco had rubber around the holes where the bolts go and it has a tab that comes off the outer edge .should I get the AC Delco gasket?

20140226_075347.jpg

The water pump cover gasket fits tight in the groove, it just has that tab in the groove.

20140226_075620.jpg

The gaskets have to be in place on the crossover hanging from the bolts while you install the crossover. The little bit of rubber goes a long way towards keeping the gaskets on the bolts. I'd hate to even try the ones you have pictured.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Stick the FelPro gasket and bolts to the crossover with a tad of gasket maker RTV. Same effect as the rubber bolt retainers on OEM.

Ok, what about the water pump cover gasket , it fits in there there tight but it has that notch along the groove like in the pic I posted ? It's strange my pump cover has the three square tabs on the outer edge like the updated version but has that notch along the groove where the gasket goes like the old cover but the gasket does fit in tight except that notch in the groove is open?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Use it as-is. I did some snooping and couldn't find another example of that particular pump cover. The locating tab was used on the first design - your 2003 may be some sort of running design change.

My replacement (2002) cover (tabs) uses the same black gasket that you now have. Should be good to go.

Thanks.

----------

I know about disconnecting the engine grounds, what about if I disconnect the transmission connector would that make the harness move more and also is there a way to remove the oil dipstick tube?

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

You are miles ahead of the game if you can disconnect the connectors and pull that harness out of the valley between the engine and transmission, makes the job of getting the crossover manifold out and back in almost tolerable and will probably cut the job time by at least 1/3. There two types of dipsticks used on 00+ Sevilles, if the handle comes out in front of the cylinder head it has a bolt that holds the oil tube to the front of the block right under the front edge of the cam cover, If its off to the side near the water pump it is held on by a stud with a nut on the drivers side end of the block right under the water pump. Either way take the bolt or the nut off and the tube should pull right out of the hole in the block. Make sure the little o ring on the tube sealing area comes out with the tube, or fish it out before trying to put the tube back in..

Ok,I got the rear ground off now I need to jack the car up take the air deflector off so I can get the other ground and tranny cable undone.yeah that harness us the main problem.

Wow wow wow is all I can say , this is a real pita.I got the hard stuff done just got to hook the hoses back up and throttle cable up.I hope I didn't damage anything like broken wires .fingerscrossed.the plastic parts on the old crossover gaskets weren't although the one I saw that was weeping starting to deform and all the rubber parts lost there shape.for sure busted knuckles, scratched arms, lot of curse words and most of all beer .

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03
    Wow wow wow is all I can say
    I had more to say when I got through with the job. From my thread on the subject:
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!........... Ok I feel better now.

As you may have guessed I started work on my coolant crossover today....
    Took me about 6 hours over 2 days. Wouldn't want to do it again for less than $100 an hour.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.