2003 Head Gasket Repair - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2003 Head Gasket Repair in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The main thing I need to get straight before I start is the wiring harness.does the wiring harness with pcm ...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    The main thing I need to get straight before I start is the wiring harness.does the wiring harness with pcm come out?I see where some of the cables with big connectors are on the drivers side just below the strut mount (I assume that gets disconnected) there are Also two wiring harnesses going to the bottom off the fuse box , does the fuse box come out or can those be disconnected) if someone can give me a quick run Down with the wire harness for engine removal that would be great.

Is it better to bring the whole main wiring harness/pcm out with car or leave it in?

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Re: 2003 Head Gasket Repair

The majority of the electrical should come out with the cradle. The fuse box separates. Gently pry the tabs around the sides and the top will separate from the bottom. Flip it over and you will see three large square connections with a bolt through each one. Undo the bolt, and pull the connections out. Two will go with the cradle out of the car, one will remain.

The big connector on the driver strut tower needs unconnected as it will come out as well. Pull the pcm out of the airbox and flop it on top of the engine when removing/installing the cradle.

Ok thanks,I wasn't trying to separate the engine tranny if I don't have to, is there any other way to hold the crankshaft from turning when trying to get the damper nut off besides the fly wheel?

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Feed a piece of soft cotton clothes line into one of the cylinders then rotate the engine around by hand until the rope compresses up against the head. the engine is essentially locked up at that point and you can unbolt the harmonic dampener. Make sure you rotate the engine counter clockwise when locking it up, and leave enough rope sticking out to pull it out later. Of course since your removing the heads the second part doesn't really matter.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

You can put a tool on the flexplate teeth, they sell one that bolts to starter mount hole. Most have rigged something up though.

I also heard you can use a strap wrench or chain wrench with a leather belt around the damper? Yea that's the tool they use in the fsm on the fly wheel , so any part store should sell that tool?

Doubt parts store has flywheel holder in stock, they run about $100 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    I also heard you can use a strap wrench or chain wrench with a leather belt around the damper? Yea that's the tool they use in the fsm on the fly wheel , so any part store should sell that tool?
    Careful, the damper bolt takes A LOT of force to break loose. Check eBay for the flywheel holder j tool, you may find someone parting with one for cheap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I think I'm going to try to take the engine out the top.I've been talking to Tim Carroll from ccc and he was saying if I was able to change the crossover gaskets then out the top should be do able since removing the crossover to get at at the engine /Trans bolts.does alldata have the alternative (out the top) instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    I think I'm going to try to take the engine out the top.I've been talking to Tim Carroll from ccc and he was saying if I was able to change the crossover gaskets then out the top should be do able since removing the crossover to get at at the engine /Trans bolts.does alldata have the alternative (out the top) instructions?
    I don't think all data has out the top instructions. Basically, you would remove the exhaust y pipe, ALL the trans to engine braces and unhook all the engine electrical since it will be staying with the body. I think you need to remove the balancer before pulling the engine, otherwise there isn't enough room to get the engine off of the trans alignment pins when separating.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by ternstes View Post

I don't think all data has out the top instructions. Basically, you would remove the exhaust y pipe, ALL the trans to engine braces and unhook all the engine electrical since it will be staying with the body. I think you need to remove the balancer before pulling the engine, otherwise there isn't enough room to get the engine off of the trans alignment pins when separating.

Out the top, taken from Alldata

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ck-wanted.html

I notice some remove the radiator /condenser and water crossover?

I think the crossover has to come out to separate from the trans.
    I would take rad/condenser out to keep them from getting damaged even if you didn't have to. Too easy to dork em up.

Thanks and I can access the fly wheel and torque convertor bolts where the starter goes or do I take the cover off at the bottom to get to those bolts?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.