2003 Head Gasket Repair - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2003 Head Gasket Repair in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; so the main thing with the timing is to make sure the timing marks are vertical and make sure the ...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    so the main thing with the timing is to make sure the timing marks are vertical and make sure the cam shafts dont move when taking apart.the fsm calls for the special tools like this thing that goes across the cam shafts to keep them from turning,crankshaft socket and something to keep the crankshaft from turning while loosen the crankshaft pully nut.does anyone rent these type of tools out for northstars or are there other tricks to the trade.I forgot who it was who did this repair said that a lot of the tools special that the fsm calls for doesn't have to necessarily be used.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Re: 2003 Head Gasket Repair

If you know what you are doing you will have the engine on a stand and locking the crank from turning can be done with the flywheel. The timing marks don't mean anything. Just have #1 on top dead center and all four cam gear marks at 90 ° from the surface of the heads ( not verticle). You don't need any holding device , you can turn the cam shafts a little to line up with a crescent wrench. Don't even waste your time trying this with the engine in the car. Even if you succeed you will take a good deal longer than droping it out the bottom as it is meant to be done. You can't take it out from the top because you can't access the bolts to do so.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    so the main thing with the timing is to make sure the timing marks are vertical and make sure the cam shafts dont move when taking apart.the fsm calls for the special tools like this thing that goes across the cam shafts to keep them from turning,crankshaft socket and something to keep the crankshaft from turning while loosen the crankshaft pully nut.does anyone rent these type of tools out for northstars or are there other tricks to the trade.I forgot who it was who did this repair said that a lot of the tools special that the fsm calls for doesn't have to necessarily be used.

----------

You don't have to worry about locking the steering wheel, the U joint has a thru bolt holding it on and will only go on in one position,
    Dave

Ok I'm just trying to get a list together of what I need.what about those pin things to lock the steering wheel before disconnecting the steering rack, do they loans those out or is there something else that can be used?

oh ok, the fsm says to lock the steering wheel by sticking that pin thing to keep the steering wheel from moving (thats not necessary?) the timimg marks i was referring to are on the secondary cam sprockets, the fsm they need to be vertical with the head(if i remember correctly) .I ordered the ccc studs by the way, the price was good .I just have to buy two bits and a tap.I know there has been things said about not using the jig plate to drill and tap but from his videos it looks pretty straight forward since you use a smaller drill bit first.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Disconnect the steering intermediate shaft from the rack and don't spin the steering wheel. I have not heard of a pin to lock any steering components.

Yea in the fsm it says to stick this tool(looks kinda like a pin of some sort) in hole in the steering column to keep the steering wheel from moving when the rack is disconnected.I wasn't sure if this was necessary.the misfire symptoms associated with a head gasket leak is it only When the car has been sitting for a while? cause the misfire is actually worse after the car is warmed up like if I go in the store for 30 minutes or so and come out the car will want to cut off and as I start to drive it will studder bad then start to go then studder bad then go while the ses light flashes with lots of smoke from exhaust with a burning smell (probably cat cooking) sometimes it will smooth out and drive fine home or I will cut the car off then back on and it will be better.but yea it studdering like its going to cut off wasn't sure if head gaskets will cause a misfire that bad after the car is warmed up +

No need to lock the steering wheel. Just have the steering rack more or less centered and the wheel more or less centered and the shaft will slip right back on. It can only go on one way for the through bolt to go back in.

It's hard to get the heads back on over the bolts if they aren't perfectly straight up. There isn't much wiggle room. Just a small bit out of verticle means a lot of diference at the length of a stud. Thats the reason for the plates.
    Dave

oh ok, the fsm says to lock the steering wheel by sticking that pin thing to keep the steering wheel from moving (thats not necessary?) the timimg marks i was referring to are on the secondary cam sprockets, the fsm they need to be vertical with the head(if i remember correctly) .I ordered the ccc studs by the way, the price was good .I just have to buy two bits and a tap.I know there has been things said about not using the jig plate to drill and tap but from his videos it looks pretty straight forward since you use a smaller drill bit first.

----------

That sounds like raw fuel going through it into the CAT. Possibly from spark plugs cutting in and out with mixture changes as the engine warms up.
    Dave

Yea in the fsm it says to stick this tool(looks kinda like a pin of some sort) in hole in the steering column to keep the steering wheel from moving when the rack is disconnected.I wasn't sure if this was necessary.the misfire symptoms associated with a head gasket leak is it only When the car has been sitting for a while? cause the misfire is actually worse after the car is warmed up like if I go in the store for 30 minutes or so and come out the car will want to cut off and as I start to drive it will studder bad then start to go then studder bad then go while the ses light flashes with lots of smoke from exhaust with a burning smell (probably cat cooking) sometimes it will smooth out and drive fine home or I will cut the car off then back on and it will be better.but yea it studdering like its going to cut off wasn't sure if head gaskets will cause a misfire that bad after the car is warmed up +

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldstuff
    No need to lock the steering wheel. Just have the steering rack more or less centered and the wheel more or less centered and the shaft will slip right back on. It can only go on one way for the through bolt to go back in.
    I can promise you the ISS will not simply slide right back onto the input shaft of the rack. Lots of fiddling and trying to keep the rubber bellow out if the way.

That's probably why without using the jig plate you have to use the two different size bits and taps to get it started, from his videos it doesn't look all that bad without the plate.

You can do it but you might have to have a big sledge hammer to get the head down over the studs. No big deal the junk yards have a lot of engines.
    Dave

That's probably why without using the jig plate you have to use the two different size bits and taps to get it started, from his videos it doesn't look all that bad without the plate.

So you are saying everyone who installed his studs without a plate are going to need a new block? Even with the sure grip stud instructions says if you need to use a rubber mallet to align in studs if need be to.

Not really. You can always bend the bolts to an alignment. Just a few thousandts of an inch off of straight can put the end of the bolt 1/8 th of an inch out. then figure you have two such bolts in exact opposite direction and you have a 1/4 inch spread to contend with. Not fun--Better to use the guide plates.
    Dave

So you are saying everyone who installed his studs without a plate are going to need a new block? Even with the sure grip stud instructions says if you need to use a rubber mallet to align in studs if need be to.

what all gasket do i need ,i know some are reusable ?im getting felpro head gaskets ,i was going to get felpro valve cover gaskets but i heard on 2000+northstars there gasket set has some issues with the grommets(my valve cover gaskets have a oil weep). any others that should be changed and what about the felpro valve cover gaskets?

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I used the Felpro top-engine gasket set which included all gaskets needed for a typical head gasket repair. Everything fit fine.

Where did you get that felpro set from, rock auto? Does the timing cover gasket need to be changed?

arctic_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Concours, 1995 SLS

Where did you get that felpro set from, rock auto? Does the timing cover gasket need to be changed?
    I got mine from RockAuto. For the timing gasket, since you are there, you mine as well replace it. Better to do it now than later. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't too expensive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.