2003 Head Gasket Repair - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2003 Head Gasket Repair in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Sub or ranger can you change the title if this thread to 2003 head gasket repair .thanks...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Sub or ranger can you change the title if this thread to 2003 head gasket repair .thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2003 Head Gasket Repair

Done

thanks ranger,still debating if i want to go with time serts or suregrips .the thing is you read on each of the sites for inserts or studs and they claim there product is superior to the other etc... so the big serts are for if you had time serts that failed?does the crankshaft and water pump pulleys have to be removed to to do the hg job,ive been reading old threads on pre 2000 n* and they were saying those pulleys need to be removed?

Either one or even Norm's NS300L inserts will work just fine.

Crankshaft stays in place. WP drive pulley stays in place as well. It comes off with the head.

so the big serts are for if you had time serts that failed?
    Correct. Otherwise you use the regular Timeserts with the coarser thread pitch.

Yea I was wondering why on some old head gasket repair threads they were saying you need a puller for the crankshaft and water pump pulleys.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

You need the puller for the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft so you can put the three timing chains back on in the correct alignment with each other, after you put the heads back on. the only way to see the alignment marks on the intermediate pulley (crank drives it, and it drives the valve chains) is to pull the timing cover, and the only way to get the cover off it to pull the harmonic dampener.

You have to remove the water pump pulley to get the cam cover off the front head, to get at the head bolts. Plus it you want to replace the seal on the end of the cam cover where the drive shaft passes thru the cam cover, it has to come off as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    You have to remove the water pump pulley to get the cam cover off the front head, to get at the head bolts.
    Oops! Forgot about that. There goes another punch in my dumbshit card.

Is it the same puller for both? as for the timing chains I was reading a thread where he was talking about nail polish to mark the position if the chains and using zip ties to hold the chains but it didn't say if this was with removing the timing cover or not?

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

You might mark the chains or zip tie them to the gears if you were swapping a cam or something relatively minor, but you going to have to drop the chains down thru the openings in the heads to get the head off. GM sells tools for maintaining the tension of the cam chains for a cam swap, or cam removal. The chains won't fit thru the holes at the end of the head with the gears attached, and ultimately when the tension is removed from the chains they are going to fall off the intermediate chain drive gears when you do loosen them up. the tensioners have to be removed because they will extend when the tension is taken off of them, and the chain followers will need to be removed to get the heads off. When it comes time to reinstall the cam chains, you will want to be able to see the timing marks on all the gears.

2010-04-19_145138_2010-04-19_084950.png

You will have to remove the oil pump, and the cam chain tensioners and followers shown in the picture below, the oil pump to get at the timing marks on the chain gears, and the tensioners and followers to allow the heads to come off, and to reset the tensioners when you reinstall the chains.

100_1932-1.JPG
    sts 03 likes this.

Thanks for the pics, I just watched a video of a guy putting the timing chains etc. on a 99 Seville.I got a fsm I'll be studying all that before I do this job.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Timing correctly isn't that difficult with everything basically visible. I just used a big 3-jaw puller for the crankshaft pulley and a power steering pump pulley puller for the water pump pulley.

i actually have a 3 jaw puller for the crankshaft pulley,do part stores loan out power steering pump pullers?what would be the main pain pulling the engine from the top,ive read some threads that some prefer pulling from the stop but still say its easier to drop the cradle?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Main pain is removing engine/trans brackets. It is very hard to reach bolts with subframe in way. Seems counterintuitive but lowering rear of subframe 4-5" makes Unbolting exhaust flanges much easier. Than lift subframe back up. Don't forget steering knuckle bolt if u do this.

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    i actually have a 3 jaw puller for the crankshaft pulley,do part stores loan out power steering pump pullers?
    Yes.

Ok I'm just trying to get a list together of what I need.what about those pin things to lock the steering wheel before disconnecting the steering rack, do they loans those out or is there something else that can be used?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.