2003 Head Gasket Repair - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2003 Head Gasket Repair in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Maybe this morning it could of been a combination of condensation and smoke cause it got cold last night but ...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Maybe this morning it could of been a combination of condensation and smoke cause it got cold last night but it was a lot.I'm really starting to think it could be the head gaskets.I guess I'm going to have to test for exhaust gases.it's never ran Hot not even close ,it never goes one 1-2 needle width past the middle and I drove up in the smoky mountains ,N.C in January .I was having to add coolant before then , but never ran hot driving all through the mountains.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2003 STS coolant leak (possible crossover leak)?

We're not going to be able to further diagnose this online - you need some expert hands-on advice. Too many what-ifs and maybes floating around. All the usual DIY tests and fixits have been offered............ 136 posts have apparently gotten us nowhere.

Rent a block test kit from one of the big parts store chains or get one of these - http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If it is a HG is is steam, not smoke, but you can solve the question rather quickly by simply going back there and smelling it. The fact that it "smokes" like a locomotive and you are having to add coolant does not bode well .

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

If you're going thru that much water and it doesn't overheat, you have to have an external leak somewhere. The engines don't burn the water usually, the head gaskets over pressurize the cooling system and lift the cap which then blows the water out of the overflow, the pump cavitates and the engine overheats due to a loos of coolant mass, and the inability to circulate it.

I don't think there is anywhere on an 03 Cadillac where a leak could occur on the low pressure side of the engine (intake manifold, throttle body, etc) where water could be drawn into the intake and then sent thru the cylinders, like there is on the earlier cars that had a coolant heated throttle body.

I'm pretty sure it's smoke and it doesn't have a sweet smell.I got a block test ,I tried to do it but I think the coolant level was to high (hopefully ) the instructions says it needs to be at least 3 inches from the opening and I took some out but as soon as I turned the car on it started to rise cause I didn't let it cool Down enough.I'm still worried it could be the Hg but it's never ran close to being hot and today I put it in second gear and did 6-7 wot to redline and the needle didn't move.I just don't know where the coolant is going .if the heater core was to leak wouldn't the passenger floor mat be wet? The only part of the carpet that gets wet is under the passenger seat and I assumed that's leaking through the door seal.I'll have to try three block test again after it cools Down .

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's smoke and it doesn't have a sweet smell.
    That's a good sign. And smoke will linger longer than steam.

I put it in second gear and did 6-7 wot to redline and the needle didn't move.
    Another good sign.

If the heater core was to leak wouldn't the passenger floor mat be wet?
    Yes

I did the block test today , the test fluid bottle from AutoZone says it has to turn yellow to have exhaust gases if it stays blue or blue/green to check for external leaks.it did turn a slight blue /green .the car didn't some at all today so far.I'm going to get the block test fluid from napa it's much darker blue and try again to be sure.if it's not the head gaskets(hopefully)I don't know where the hell the coolant could be going.

Any change in color is not good. See what the second test shows.

Yea idk the AutoZone test fluid says on the bottle that it has to turn YELLOW to fail that if it stays blue or turns blue/green to look for external leaks.I bought a different brand test fluid from napa but it doesn't have any instructions about the color change, but yea the AutoZone one says if it's blue or changes blue/green to look for external leaks.I'll try again.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

If you are to full when you test, some coolant will get into your fluid and give the blue/green appearance. Make sure it isn't to full or boiling/gurgeling when testing.
    Dave

Yea idk the AutoZone test fluid says on the bottle that it has to turn YELLOW to fail that if it stays blue or turns blue/green to look for external leaks.I bought a different brand test fluid from napa but it doesn't have any instructions about the color change, but yea the AutoZone one says if it's blue or changes blue/green to look for external leaks.I'll try again.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    ANY color change is a POSITIVE result. The more hydrocarbons present, the faster/more obvious the color change.

I'm just saying the bottle from AutoZone says it has to turn YELLOW if it's blue or blue/Green look for the leaks elsewhere napa test fluid doesn't say anything so I'm assuming that if the napa test fluid changes any color it fails.the AutoZone fluid is a light sky blue and the napa is a very dark blue maybe that's why the AutoZone bottles says it has to turn YELLOW.I need to drive around some more before I test again cause I've been adding coolant .I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket without the test cause I'm loosing coolant pretty fast and I can't find any visible leak and I have the smoke and misfire.still don't know why the needle doesn't move when I light it up in 2nd gear.idk maybe only one side pulled the head bolts.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    My car had leak for several yrs. never once overheated. I never let coolant get too low.

Yea I'm thinking maybe only one side head bolts pulled cause I can light it up in 2nd gear to redline 5-6 times within 20 minute period and the needle won't budge.unless my block is cracked or does it usually have to run hot for the block to crack? Is there any way to find out which head pulled a since the 03 aren't that common for head gasket leaks (supposedly) on the block test kit it says you can disconnect the plug wires to one bank (our cars would be coil pack ) then run the car for 1-2 minutes and then test again to see what bank is leaking , that's if it's only one bank to begin with.would this process mess something up?it would be better for me now if it was the left bank only cause the engine doesn't have to be pulled to do that side right?

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Dont kid yourself. It has to come out. Can you imagine handling those timing chains with the little room to take the timing cover off then actually work in there?
    Dave

Yea I'm thinking maybe only one side head bolts pulled cause I can light it up in 2nd gear to redline 5-6 times within 20 minute period and the needle won't budge.unless my block is cracked or does it usually have to run hot for the block to crack? Is there any way to find out which head pulled a since the 03 aren't that common for head gasket leaks (supposedly) on the block test kit it says you can disconnect the plug wires to one bank (our cars would be coil pack ) then run the car for 1-2 minutes and then test again to see what bank is leaking , that's if it's only one bank to begin with.would this process mess something up?it would be better for me now if it was the left bank only cause the engine doesn't have to be pulled to do that side right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.