Intake air sensor / resistor mod
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Intake air sensor / resistor mod in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am seeing a lot of these intake air resistor mods out there for just about every car you can ...
    foo
    foo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Intake air sensor / resistor mod

I am seeing a lot of these intake air resistor mods out there for just about every car you can think of.. And of course, i'm wondering if they will do any good on the cadillac (STS to be exact) .. I've heard people use them on mustangs and such and basically it fools the computer into thinking the incoming air temp is really low like 10 or 20 degrees and it dumps more fuel and advances the timing for you.. sounds like a good mod to me if you always run high octane gas and it should give a little more power however i don't know if the system on the cadillac works the same as other cars (we all know how cadillac and their computers are..))

Has anyone tried one of these or this type of modification in general (since no computer mods exist yet:/)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Intake air sensor / resistor mod

Quote Originally Posted by foo
    I am seeing a lot of these intake air resistor mods out there for just about every car you can think of.. And of course, i'm wondering if they will do any good on the cadillac (STS to be exact) .. I've heard people use them on mustangs and such and basically it fools the computer into thinking the incoming air temp is really low like 10 or 20 degrees and it dumps more fuel and advances the timing for you.. sounds like a good mod to me if you always run high octane gas and it should give a little more power however i don't know if the system on the cadillac works the same as other cars (we all know how cadillac and their computers are..))

Has anyone tried one of these or this type of modification in general (since no computer mods exist yet:/)
    I bought one on ebay for $15 and it sucked. Finished my gas faster and did not help performance. It may have been a crappy mod but stay away from those. The way I see it is, if something so small and cheap could add so much power, the cars would come that way from the factory. Plus, computerized cars are really sensitive and the risk of long term effects are pretty high. If you ask me, I say no. I am sure some of the other members will be adding to this thread........Katshot?

Aurora By Olds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

They are good for maybe 0.5 - 1 hp. If you think you really want it, go to radioshack and buy a $0.30 resistor and splice it in the wire. Does the same thing, for $20 less. Next time you see one of those on ebay, or anywhere for sale, ask to see the dyno results. Guarantee you won't get any, and if you do, I would love to see them.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Worthless.......!!!!

You could get definitely more than 1hp for $20....... Hell, I hear the new Type R stickers are up to 35hp.......

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Those sensors change the timing in your engine to make it more power. But since its a caddy the computers relize whats going on and just put it back to where it was don't do it

The only thing it may help is midrange power, since at WOT the engine is at full timing advance and full rich......

foo

Wink

HEhe.. thanks guys.. that's what i thought but i just wanted to see if anyone else shared that idea. So what else caN i do besides nitrous? I want to do everything i can before i go that route
    There must be something.. maybe ill try porting the TB and adapter .. should go well with my intake i made :>

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

HEhe.. thanks guys.. that's what i thought but i just wanted to see if anyone else shared that idea. So what else caN i do besides nitrous? I want to do everything i can before i go that route
    There must be something.. maybe ill try porting the TB and adapter .. should go well with my intake i made :>
    Well stickers give at least 15HP and the type R stickers are 35HP.

go with exhaust, chip, intake, that should be good enough to get you where you want to be

I agree....... And that is about all your low budget stuff also.......

foo
    no chips or computer mods available for 1999 :/
    wish there was hehe
    im doing exhaust, intake (including porting the TB), plugs, wires
    and scrounging for computer mods
    Next will do the transmission and get a new converter.. reducing the amount of loss the transmission takes from the engine will make a decent difference too.. next will be ported heads and stuff but that's kinda way later

miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The last car I fixed up was a honda civic............I'll never do that again. But are there "headers" for caddies? Intake, exhaust, and chip are not really that big of a deal when your enging already pushes out 275 horses, no? And isn't the exhaust only effective if you get new wider piping? So all that money for parts and the labor for the exhaust and you get like 10-15 horses right? Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to make my concours even more powerfull -but NOTICEABLY powerfull, not just "bragging rights" powerfull.

97blkeldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i dont know how the resistor didnt work for u guys. i dont no how much more hp it gave but, in my 97 eldo etc (300hp) i used to have to manually shift it to chirp 2nd but now i can leave it in drive and it chirps 2nd it puls a lot harder and shifts harder. it does kill gas though about 6 mpg maybe haha. thats y i took it out. so they have their up and downs.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

My 94 STS'll spin quite nicely in a WOT second gear shift any time i want it to without any type of resistor...you're eldo should do it just as easily

stngh8r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 1991 Chevy RC w/500 CAD

Smile Re: Intake air sensor / resistor mod

Quote Originally Posted by foo View Post
    Yes, I realize this thread is old.

It seems that there is alot of negative surrounding this mod. So for those considering being scammed by ebay or would just like to learn more about this mod, I would like to reopen the can of worms and/or shed some light on the subject.

I used the resistor mod on a my Z28 several years ago when it was still a 'free mod' and before the pirates on Ebay got ahold of it and started marketing it as a "chip".

My Opinion/Experience (based on use with '94 Z28):
    - MPG was slightly decreased.
    + Performance/accleration was improved. Noticed a tenth or two at the track and the car was raced often and very consistent. It seems to depend on the weather and how much difference there is between the actual temperature and the 'fooled' temperature with the resistor.
    + Little too risk, you can pickup a 5 pack for a little over a $1 at radio shack.
    + Plausible free mod for a vehicle that is stuck with factory tuning. With my camaro, I stopped using it after I had the tuning maximized with edit software by a pro.
    ~ In my experience, I would only put it in if I was going to be out looking for a race or at the track, due to the decrease MPG. It is however quite easy to take in or out.
    ~ As previously mentioned, fresh high octane gas is best.
    + Added bonus, any IAT tricker or resistor of 4000 ohms or more (less than 64* farenheit) will keep pcm from testing DTC PO420 or PO430 for catalyst efficiency.
    + Consistent timing

Theory
    1. Timing - If your car can tolerate more timing, it can help. If your car cannot tolerate more timing, it will not help and could decrease performance if your knock sensor begins picking up knock (which will decrease your timing considerably). Obviously the best timing control would be via edit software or stand alone engine management, but that is not possible for most of use with N* engines.
    2. Fuel - If your car needs more fuel and is running lean due to a few mods, this mod should help.

The chart below will give you an idea of what resistance you are looking for if you buy a resistor. I ran a 8000 and I believe it data logged 36*. Of course if you wanted to reduce timing for Nitrous or something, you could always make the computer think its really hot outside.

IATs vs. ohms resistance
    32* 9420
    41* 7280
    68* 3520
    95* 1802
    140* 667

Hope this helps

Eric <><

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Snake Oil, junk, garbage, scam, get the idea?
    Ownership:
    89 STS (1 of 1893) - FOR SALE
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.