valve job? something burning......
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, valve job? something burning...... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, Some simple questions..... How much should a valve job cost? How long should it take? My engine drives just ...
    miishmiish is offline Cadillac Owners Member

valve job? something burning......

Hello,
    Some simple questions.....
    How much should a valve job cost?
    How long should it take?
    My engine drives just fine, but when I floor it a couple of times or drive it hard, it makes this really bad burning smell, and the engine does not seem to be overheating. Does anyone know what that burning fart-like odor is and how to stop it? Is it a serious problem or can I ignore it?

Thanks to all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: valve job? something burning......

Does it come from the engine compartment or the exhaust....... If so, its probably the valve cover gaskets..... Common, as they eventually fail on ANY car with a V engine.......

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Does it come from the engine compartment or the exhaust....... If so, its probably the valve cover gaskets..... Common, as they eventually fail on ANY car with a V engine.......
    I am not completely sure but i believe it is from the engine. There is NOT any black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. Am I burning oil or something else? What is the solution and how much should I spend on it? Does it need to be fixed if I don't drive it hard that often?

Any help or related info would be appreciated guys. Thanks.

foo
    foo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    A fart like odor, LOL!! I can't imagine what that would be.. nothing should smell like farts ..cept maybe gas i dunno.. the odors you might get are burning oil, or excess fuel or possibly something plastic burning or rubber.. you should know what each one of these smells is but if not try and describe it some more.. is it REALLYBAD can't stand it type of smell or is it like cooking a burger on a grill type of smell ..

Quote Originally Posted by foo
    A fart like odor, LOL!! I can't imagine what that would be.. nothing should smell like farts ..cept maybe gas i dunno.. the odors you might get are burning oil, or excess fuel or possibly something plastic burning or rubber.. you should know what each one of these smells is but if not try and describe it some more.. is it REALLYBAD can't stand it type of smell or is it like cooking a burger on a grill type of smell ..
    smells like tar, but it's not my tires peeling out. A smokey smell. There is no visible smoke, and my temperature guage does not go up when this happens. The smell goes away after a couple blocks of tame driving. ANY ideas or opinions would be helpful.

foo
    put it in park, rev the engine to around 2500 rpm and let it sit there for a long time until you smell it and see where it's coming from.. or have someone else do it while you look under the hood..... don't rev up much more than 2500 as it's not good to go much higher when there's no load on gasonline engines (just about any engine)

Quote Originally Posted by foo
    put it in park, rev the engine to around 2500 rpm and let it sit there for a long time until you smell it and see where it's coming from.. or have someone else do it while you look under the hood..... don't rev up much more than 2500 as it's not good to go much higher when there's no load on gasonline engines (just about any engine)
    I had to take her around the block a few times to heat up, then I had my girlfriend run the rpm to 2500. The engine was hot but not up to where it normally is. Anyways, no odor from the hood and that smell was coming from the exhaust. I put my face near the exhaust and could smell hints of the burning odor. The odd thing is the car just passed the smog check. So what does it mean?

foo
    OOOo fart odor coming from the exhaust....... if you hold a piece of paper in front of the exhaust and have someone rev it does it turn black? Also go do some WOT runs for 10-15 minutes to clean it out.. it could just be wad of something stuck in your CAT.. or you could put some intake cleaner (it has to be done with a little IV type thing that plugs into the vacuum and it cleans out your intake.. now that REALLY stinks )

Ok..... This sounds normal.....

Here's what Id do.....

Go to your closest GM dealer, and pick up can of TOP ENGINE CLEANER, get the liquid, not the aerosol..... Anyway, get a little funnel, and use it through the brake booster hose.... USE THE WHOLE CAN.... Its gonna smoke like a mother for a while.... Its best to have someone in the car keeping the RPMS up while you do it...... After you follow the instructions on the can, run the car HARD, at least 3-5 redline shifts...... That should really clean things out for you.....

Id also consider using a fuel injector cleaner, Techron being the best OTC stuff, and BG44k being the best stuff you can buy.....

Aurora By Olds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

Could be a plugged cat causing the fart smell. Also, a simple compression test will tell you if the motor is bad.

I wouldnt think that this new of a car would have a plugged cat already.....

Do you have any DTCs???

So in other words, no one thinks this could be a sign of a serious problem? Burning oil has a more ashy smokey smell, right? So could I leave it as is and be fine (it's only when I drive REALLY hard)? I am getting no codes and I just passed the smog check last month as stated above.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Unless you have specific knowledge of specific smells, its very hard to diagnose over the internet..... It could be a problem, it may not...... I cant say for sure.....

foo

ever figure out what this was? I did the intake cleaner on mine weeks ago and it made a HORRIBLE smell and it STILL smells even after a few weeks of driving after doing that........ nasty

Did you redline it a few times after the intake cleaning???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.