Engine miss - 1998 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Engine miss - 1998 Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Have a 1998 Deville with 82K miles. Been a good car, but now have a miss at idle and upon ...
    grumpy56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville D'Elegance

Engine miss - 1998 Deville

Have a 1998 Deville with 82K miles. Been a good car, but now have a miss at idle and upon acceleration. Checked for codes, but none found. Put new plugs in it about a year ago, but did not replace any wires. Need to figure out what my first step should be. I'm going to start the motor when it is dark and see if I can detect any arcing. Also, I have never replaced any gas filters (bought the car new). Anyway, any "where to begin" advice appreciated. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Engine Miss

Did you use AC Delco plugs? I changed my wires at 90k and they really needed it, resistance was high in two wires. Think Amazon had the best prices. A good scanner can tell you what cylinder is misfiring as it keeps track of them by cylinder. Fuel filter should have been changed by now also. It is drivers side almost to back tire. Getting the plastic clip off and back on will make you want to beat someone. there are pics in my thread I put below. If you haven't cleaned the TB is will be way overdue also, should be done every year or two.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3473657

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Engine miss - 1998 Deville

My money is on the wires. Here is my similar tale of whoa. Long thread. Cliff's notes version is it was the wires.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ine-trans.html

MachoDemon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Allante 1993

Expensive but really good wires - Magnecor

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

We usually recommend the original AC Delco/Packard wiresets because all the plug and coil boots fit correctly.

They're made with a stainless steel helix over a carbon/fiberglass EMI suppression core in a 7mm cable diameter, double silicone insulation. Damn good wire, and not cheap.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Wires like suggested above. Especially if you have no idea when it was changed last time.

grumpy56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville D'Elegance

Appreciate all the information. They are the original plug wires so I am going to get a new set.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.