Starting Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Starting Issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi all! I own a '98 Concours and love it. It has approx. 55K on it and was a one-owner ...
    LakeDweller is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Starting Issue

Hi all!

I own a '98 Concours and love it. It has approx. 55K on it and was a one-owner vehicle and regularly serviced. For my own piece of mind (and your recommendations), I took it to our wonderful caddy dealer recently and had the tranny serviced, radiator serviced, Mobil 1 change, new fuel filter and an injection cleansing.

It runs beautiful, but has been experiencing trouble starting once in a while. It happened before and after service and only happens when I shut it off and try to restart a minute to 30 minutes later. It turns fine, but just doesn't seem to be getting the gas. It revs up a bit like it's going to go, but then it just about, or does, peter out. I am concerned I am going to be left stranded somewhere one of these days!

Any thoughts?

Pat,
    Madison, Wisconsin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aurora By Olds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

Re: Starting Issue

Have the fuel pressure tested.
    If the pump is going bad, it will not be getting enough pressure to start the engine up, but will run and drive fine. Also, there may be a leak in the line causing the fuel to drain out while its sitting.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS
    My S10 Blazer had a similar problem, gradually got worse and yes, it was the fuel pump.
    In the Blazer the in tank filter (kind of like a nylon sock) had split and pieces of nylon were getting sucked into the pump and wearing it quickly. The pressure dropped noticeably over a couple of weeks while I was diagnosing it.
    First thing to check, verify the fuel filter was replaced!!

LakeDweller is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Starting Issue

Cool...I don't see or smell gas anywhere, so I am guessing there is not leak anywhere. Regarding the pressure, I never thought of that...maybe I'll have that checked out next. Thanks!

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS
    When the S10 wouldn't start I'd give a shot of starting spray into the air inlet and it would start right up. If it gets worse try that. If it starts everytime with starter spray you know it's not getting enough gas to start.
    The interesting thing is it'll run good, even have good power, just not want to start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.