99SLS Ruff idle when started
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99SLS Ruff idle when started in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 99 SLS 50,000K It idles ruff when started. It is getting worse in the past few months. ...
    richc111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

99SLS Ruff idle when started

I have a 99 SLS 50,000K It idles ruff when started. It is getting worse in the past few months. When I took it in they couldn't find anything wrong with it. After driving for a few minutes seems to go away. Gas milage does not seem to be effected. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

air1ren is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 99SLS Ruff idle when started

That is the first symptom I noticed on my 97 STS, which turned out to be a leaking head gasket. Keep an eye on coolant consumption. If you are not using any coolant, there may be a fuel injector that is not seating completely after the engine is turned off. (There is still some fuel pressure and it leaks past the injector seat, and floods the cylinder so it runs rough for a short time on the next start.) I have seen this happen on other cars, but I do not know the fuel system on the N*, so I could be wrong about this.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

It is possible it's a head gasket, though doubtful with those miles on it. You can have a leakdown test done, cylinder pressure test, or hydrocarbon test done to help see if it's a HG.

Could also be an injector like air1ren said, but I'm guessing that once the engine gets to temp it goes away?

I had the same problem, but I had the hydrocarbon test done, it detected some but not enough for a HG, I then had they cylinders tested, again all good (150+ psi in all cylinders) and then finally a leakdown, all negative. The source of my problem was finally diagnosed by chance when I replaced a radiator as a leaking intake manifold gasket. I checked it out using a bottle sprayer with water in it, i just let the engine sit for a day, then started it, she was bucking and skipping a little, and then i sprayed water around the edges of the intake manifold and sure enough, it started missing when i got to the back bank, rpms dropped, it sounded like crap. This had to be done when the block was cold cause once it heats up everything expands and seals the leak. It's definatley not good for your engine but won't kill it. I'm actually going to be doing this repair this weekend and documenting it in my other post in this section: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=44587

richc111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks for the help. I actually own a 95 and a 99 SLS and I like the cars but to be honest I am finding some of the same things going wrong with both of them. I just posted one about my 95, As stanger as it sounds both cars had to liquid leak out of the drivers side mirror.

abreeze is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my 93 sts was doing that, check the plug gaps. they should be .5... but check the book.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The correct spark plug gap is 0.050".
    Mike

gman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Change your wires. You may want to change your plugs while you're at it. I had the same prob with my 98 eldorado(60,000 miles) and I wasted money buying a fpr.I changed the plugs & wires and it starts/idles fine ever since.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'd be inclined to think plugs and wires as well though it does seem premature at that milage.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Too many assumptions here. Who is "they" that didn't find anything wrong? Did "they" pull codes?
    "not finding anything wrong" has always been a pet peeve. It implies the driver is imagining things. Obviously something is wrong.

I think it's a sensor somewhere. Lot's of things change as the car warms up. Fuel enrichment for one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.