Oil change at 3K or when oil life=10%?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil change at 3K or when oil life=10%? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey everyone. My '96 SLS has 60,000 miles on it. Ive had one oil change on it in the past ...
    highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '06 CTS

Question Oil change at 3K or when oil life=10%?

Hey everyone. My '96 SLS has 60,000 miles on it. Ive had one oil change on it in the past 3 or 4 months ive owned it. I had that oil change done when the oil live indicator got down to 5% or so (whenever it flashed at me to get the oil changed) So now ive driven it almost 3,000 miles since then, but the oil life indicator is at 62%! So my question is: Should i be changing my oil every 3K miles or wait until the oil life is low? I know this will just add to "The Great Cadillac Forums Oil Debate," but is it worth it to change it now, or just let the indicator tell me when its ready? The oil doesnt look very cruddy and ive only had to add half a quart in 3000 miles, so i figure im doing pretty well. Any opinions? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Oil change at 3K or when oil life=10%?

Quote Originally Posted by highonchai
    wait until the oil life is low

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

You can trust the oil life monitor (OLM) down to 0% and even several hundred miles beyond if you can tolerate the message.

Three thousand mile oil changes are a waste of money and oil for your engine given today's oil chemistry.

My '98 averages 6,800 miles between oil changes based on the OLM. Current mileage = 14X,000.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

I would trust the OLM.

Funny, the way I drive, my 93 Eldo almost never gives me more than 4000-5000 miles between oil changes.

And also follow your own advice from another thread - use 10W40 oil instead the recommended one!

Sorry, couldn't help myself on the last one...

Peteski

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '06 CTS

Thanks for the advice guys! I figure ill get a bit over 6K mi between changes. thanks again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.