Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ummmm, NO ! There's good and valid reason why the (4) wheel caster, camber, and toe should be set to ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley

Ummmm, NO ! There's good and valid reason why the (4) wheel caster, camber, and toe should be set to factory specs.

The GM service manual shows ride height and how/where to measure it.

If all's well those rear tires/wheels should appear to be exactly perpendicular to the road. Top tucked in = too low a height setting.

KarlInOhio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

OK,

Got home and removed the dash... Very simple... Pop out the four vents on the front of the dash... Used a thin feeler gauge to release the clips and pulled out the vents.... Then removed the dash defrost vent. There will be 4 X 7mm screws behind the front vents and 3 X 7mm screws holding the top of the dash under the defrost cover.

I then removed the IPC, 3 electrical plugs and 4 X 7mm screws holding it in and replaced it with the junkyard IPC... Guess what... No start, just as it should have not..... Looked all over for any signs of a resistor, but there was none...

So, I will have to send my IPC to SPECMO to stop that annoying 'Theft System Problem - Car May not restart'

In other news, my JB Welded dash is now all solid and has no curling... Unfortunately, the material has shrunk with age, so the defrost vent does not "lock in"... Thinking about how I will fix that now... Something will come to me...

Here are the pics:

Screw access holes for Dash

Top screws on dash

Removing screws

Pulling on dash

The IPC

The three plugs

.. ...... ..... ........

Junkyard IPC... Note the mileage... The car that I got the IPC from only made it to 138,679 miles... Very sad...

Also the IPC won't let me start the car....

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

N*Caddy had a fix I used for the defroster vent rattle and loose problem. Staples heated up and inserted into the sides, do a search I'm sure it will come up. Also I used some mastic tape in a few spots to keep the bastard from rattling.
    KarlInOhio likes this.

You need to have a GM dealer send the replacement DIC out to be reset with your car's real mileage and VIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You need to have a GM dealer send the replacement DIC out to be reset with your car's real mileage and VIN.
    I have already contacted SPECMO about this and told them my situation, they told me to send them the VIN# and mileage along with the IPC (or DIC) ... I asked if this would be an issue and they said it would not... If they won't do it I will post here...
    97EldoCoupe and Speedygman like this.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

VERY nice pictures here - showing the locations of those darn little plastic vent clips. Thanks.
    97EldoCoupe likes this.

OK...

Latest... Sorry no car related pics... As soon as I was going to snap some pics literally, at that exact second I got called by my buddy and we talked as I was getting things ready... It was probably for the best anyway.. It would have been boring pics of my floormats...

As I may have stated before, when I bought this car, I received one floor mat with it... A rear floor mat that was on the front drivers side floor.... So when I went to the pick and pull, I grabbed the best ones I could find... (which were fairly nasty...) The rear floor mats as you can imagine are in much better shape. So today I took them to the coin-operated car wash and lined them up against the wall (had nice clips for them) and blasted them with HOT soapy water and rinsed them for about 10 minutes.... Mixed results... Rears look great, one front looks pretty good, the other.... not so great..... They are drying now and will get to them again soon...

After that, I went and scrubbed a few portions of the car's carpet with some canned carpet cleaner (the type you buy with the scrubbing bristles at the end)... to my surprise, the carpet really came nice and clean... I really think the carpet will clean up beautifully..

Noticed a small pock mark on the windshield that I want to take car of... must have been hit by a small rock... Will fix that with a windshield repair kit... Will post results here... Those kits work pretty well, but you have to follow the instructions to a "T" and fix it ASAP before the vehicle hits a bump and starts cracking the windshield....

Lastly, I packaged up the the IPC or DIC or whatever you want to call it to send it to SPECMO tomorrow....

Then I set out for some spring cleaning of my DISORGANIZED garage.... I know, I know, it is a mess, but it is a work in progress... So here is a pic for today...

.. ........ ........

I like the tennis sock on the vise. (My 2.5 car garage is not that bad, but close.)

The car and #1 truck are NOT that close together - weird lens distortion.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Talking about disorganized garages, I can't even show you my garage because it's so embarrassing. But hey, that's where I repaired my two Northstars.

Nothing new done to car, OLD man winter decided to return to Ohio again... Was 15 degrees this morning and calling for 1 inch of snow tomorrow... Yeah Spring!!!

Anyway, one update... Just got off the phone with SPECMO about my IPC. They are programming in the VIN, removing the theftlock and putting in the actual miles on my IPC... Total cost.... $60..... $50 for the service, $10 for shipping. Will be receiving it back this Wednesday

Cheers

Update for today...

Got back in town... Was out on business... Also, picked up a RAV4 with a cracked head to fix for my Niece.... so I have not been working that hard on the Deville.

I did get the IPC back from SPECMO.... Unfortunate thing was that somehow in shipping, the side piece that holds it on broke... Shouldn't be an issue... has other bolts to hold it down...

I wired in the resistor and installed the IPC... Did the re-learn and that was that... NO MORE "Theft System Problem - Car may not restart"....

Was packaged well from SPECMO and they sent me a label to send anything else I need fixed in the future for free... That is nice... Although I don't work on many GM products..

Really going to try to get the valve cover gasket done this weekend.... OLD man winter is just not giving up around here... even had some freezing rain here today...

Here are today's pics...

... .. ... ...

Message gone... I like it better without my IPC nagging me about things..

Came home tonight and did the rear valve cover gasket... Not a real hard project. Didn't take long at all... Had to get it done tonight because we are expecting an inch of snow tomorrow.... Ahhhh... Springtime in Ohio...

Anyway, it was a fairly straightforward job.

Remove beauty cover, remove stiffener bar, remove plastic cover over radiator, remove coil pack and rear plug wires, disconnect EVAP connector, disconnect PCV valve, disconnect front engine dogbones, remove both cooling fans, Jack up car and support, unbolt exhaust and push away, remove small plastic splash cover under engine, then put jack under front engine cradle, remove two front engine cradle bolts, lower front section slowly, remove valve cover attachments, disconnect rear O2 sensor plug, pry the coolant pipes for room to remove two rear bolts then remove the valve cover...

It took me about 50 minutes to have everything off... All totaled about 2 hours for the job...

After that I put on the dash and replaced the knee bolster and put everything back in place on the dash (sorry, no pics of that tonight)..

Here are the pics..

Here is the engine all torn down...

Fans removed

(TIP!) Drivers side fan could not be removed unless this cooler line is removed..

View from under...

Close up... Note the coolant pipes, those are in the way of two of the bolts... Gently pry it back for room to remove them, then remove the valve cover....

Prep for install

Torquing the bolts to 89 in-lbs

Sewing up the patient..

All back together...

... ... .. .........

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.