Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Update... Removed the Dryer from the compressor and found it was completely clogged. I even tried blasting compressed air through ...
    KarlInOhio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

Re: Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley

Update...

Removed the Dryer from the compressor and found it was completely clogged. I even tried blasting compressed air through it to no avail...

After I removed it I noticed that the passageway to the dryer on the compressor was completely blocked with white, chalky substance... I cleaned out the purge solenoid and then I checked the pump directly on the car without the dryer... Air was blowing out the purge nipple... So it means the purge valve is bad... When I took that solenoid assembly apart I quickly discovered was it a mess... Fully of white chalky substance and plenty of flaky rust... Tried cleaning out the purge valve and all other areas... Unfortunately the solenoid was all rusty so I am sure it is shot (I re-tried it on the car again after the cleaning) and it still kept blowing out the purge nipple, so I will have to return to the Pick n Pull and try again... (I have to get a cornering light anyway)... I will try one or two more, and if the ones from the pick n pull are also shot I may be forced to buy a new (or re-manufactured) pump...
    .. .. .. ....

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It's not in the manuals and few know it, but the ELC system filter/dryer is a normal maintenance item. Once the system fills with dried snot (from heat of compression and venting) it fails rapidly. You could eliminate the automatic function and compressor by running the shock lines to a T-ed Schrader valve in the trunk, but that's a real pain to keep adjusted.

The next part(s) to go bad will be the solenoid control head and the compressor itself.

Either check out the Suncore site or talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>
    KarlInOhio likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Arnott has new, OEM pumps for just over $200.

UPDATE...

Had to work most of the day but managed to get to the Pick and Pull late in the afternoon...

While there, I pulled another Compressor.... This one was promising since the car I removed this from had the shocks removed... I removed the Compressor and the lines and bracket... A plus side of this exercise in futility is that I can take the compressor out in about 10 minutes now... LOL

While I was there I also found a passenger side cornering light that was in decent condition... There were better ones, but previous people had broken the mounts... Oh well, at least I got one...

While I was there and the weather was pretty sunny, I pulled a dash in better condition than the one I had... It is still showing signs of peeling, but I think it might be more easily fixable than mine... I will post pics of it here... Any suggestions to hold it down would be appreciated... JB Weld with clamps on the dash till it dries comes to mind, but someone else may have some good idea.

Also while there, I pulled an Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)... I figured I will send this one out for a re-flash, I will use a used one so my car can still run until it gets back.... All of this stuff you see (less the compressor, which was an exchange) for $62.00.... Not bad... Still well within my set budget...

So I got home and hooked up the new compressor with dryer attached, it was pushing out air on the dryer side nipples.... Then I installed it with the 'new' air lines (which I did not check)... Well... Probably should have checked the new air lines... The car is not raising still and the compressor is still running... Back to diagnostics tomorrow or the next day.... Now I know why people dislike this system so much.... Oh well.. Labor cost is cheap at least...

The pics..

All the stuff I got today...

The only peeling section... very small...

The only tools necessary to install the compressor... The 8mm ratcheting flex head wrench is a MUST! And an 8mm socket on extension...
    ...... To remove the compressor it helps to have pliers and a flat tip screwdriver as well...

Re-installing the compressor for the 4th time... Getting real easy to do this...

Not quite level yet, but still pretty...

.. ... .

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I use this:
    http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...=50&SubcatID=9

But it's about $30 a gallon, and that's the smallest amount you can buy.

Some good epoxy should do ok though.
    KarlInOhio likes this.

OK went out and worked on the Air shocks again tonight... Still the compressor keeps pushing air and barely lifting the car... The funny thing is that when I disconnect the air lines from the shocks, The air escapes quickly (they are under pressure)... So I believe that the compressor is tired and cannot push the proper PSI at a certain point... Enough of this, I am going to install air lines to be filled from the trunk off a T... I can get this for less than $15 and not spend $220 for a new compressor... Enough is enough...

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Boy you are having bad luck with used compressor. Many GM use th e exact same just have to swap brackets. Park Avenue etc.

Update...

Spent around $13 for new air lines for the rear shocks... Installed the rear shock lines through the knock out plug in the trunk under the spare tire... Sealed it up with foam and then filled the lines with air... All good now.... Suspension is at the proper level... No leakage yet... Will check tomorrow morning but all looks good for the last 3 hours.. I think this proves my theory that the compressor was weak... Since I will use this for a daily driver and will not be loading the trunk or rear passenger seats with people, I think I will be fine...

New Level...

Then I did the front headlights... Totally simple job.. Simply remove the ETorx fastener (a 6mm socket can work as well) and then removed the cornering light. 2 X 10mm nuts holding one side of the headlight assembly and 2 X 10mm bolts holding the other side... Then removed all the bulb plugs and the wire hold down clips.... To be frank, the hardest part was removing the wire harness hold down clips I ended up using a sawzall to cut the plastic on the old housing to ensure that the clip remained intact... You could not remove the hold down clip from the assembly with pliers or anything so I just cut it out...

Anyway it is all level now and has new headlights... Will have to check the aim, but I think it looks better.... More to follow.

Pics of the replacement....

The ETorx screw that must be removed to take off cornering lights

OLD and damaged cornering light

Removing two nuts

Bottom bolt

Top bolt

Removal

Removing plugs

The wire harness plug... The hardest part...

New Headlight assembly

OTHER SIDE

Cutting out the plug...

Old

New

All done

.. .... . ........
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

UPDATE.

The cold snap hit for the last two days, so I couldn't get out and do much on the car, so tonight I set out to repair the dashboard. Using JB weld to try to re-join the parts... We'll see how it lasts tomorrow morning... Only had clamps to do one side of the vent, tomorrow morning I will do the other side... Hopefully will hold..

Also, hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will remove the dash and check the IPC for a resistor... If none, I am going to remove the current IPC and put in the junkyard IPC... If it doesn't start (which it shouldn't) since the ignition wire is cut, then I will know there is something wrong with the original IPC.

I called SPECMO today and talked with them about the issue, so I may end up shipping the IPC off on Saturday... Unfortunately it will probably be a week before it gets back, so I will be unable to drive the car during that time...

More to follow...

The pics...

.. ..... ... ..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

How did you get into my shop to steal those orange furniture clamps ?? (They're identical to a set that Dad gave me years ago) The black plastic ones - STRONG - come in assorted sizes, 10 or 12 to the box - Lowe's Home Depot. Cheap. Handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    How did you get into my shop to steal those orange furniture clamps ?? (They're identical to a set that Dad gave me years ago) The black plastic ones - STRONG - come in assorted sizes, 10 or 12 to the box - Lowe's Home Depot. Cheap. Handy.
    LOL. ... The funny thing is that even I can't remember where I got them... probably a flea market...

The great thing was that they fit perfect... figure the odds...

Also, did the other side with JB weld this morning, took the clamps off and that right side vent area was held down solid as a rock... Still plan on installing this afternoon.. The real test is the test of time/how long they hold when installed...

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

The "new level" seems a little bit high for a Deville to me- the "old level" was where my Deville sat when I replaced the compressor and the shocks with new ones. Never measured but the rear wheel house of these cars look a little shorter than the front - maybe the reason for the "not leveled" look. Again, I never measured the actual ground clearance.

Good point... I have thought that the springs may be weak and hence why the air shocks/compressor has to work too hard..... I will look at the manual about the height, but when I look at pics of a new 1999 Deville, the height seems about right to me...but then again they may be just a tad high...

I will say this though... after getting air in the air shocks and those Michelin tires on, the car feels so smooth, like I am skating on ice... Every bit as good as my 2013 Lexus...

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Rear tire should be tucked under just a smidge, I keep both of mine more or less even with fender lip. The FSM setting is a little low to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.