Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Use the waste spark plug/wire/coil diagram in my albums to connect the proper coil tower to the proper plug....
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Melted camshaft water pump drive pulley

Use the waste spark plug/wire/coil diagram in my albums to connect the proper coil tower to the proper plug.

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

everybody is entitled to there own opinion but Jake can back up on this, PS isnt there a big Hype on how dex cool is biodegradable and environmentally friendly... go water your lawn with dex and take a look at it after 2 days, Just because big manufacturers say something doesnt make it right, gm said the northstar was a revolution in quality and power, most people dont have nothing but troubles with them and half the people in the world are convinced its the worst engine ever made (thats including worse the Dodges slant six, at least those has durability.)

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Evrett, Sales Executive of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Evrett, How old (siphoned from the surge tank of my STS) would you say this 2 quarts of 60/40 DEX-COOL is ?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by 04GrandAmGT View Post
    everybody is entitled to there own opinion but Jake can back up on this, PS isnt there a big Hype on how dex cool is biodegradable and environmentally friendly... go water your lawn with dex and take a look at it after 2 days, Just because big manufacturers say something doesnt make it right, gm said the northstar was a revolution in quality and power, most people dont have nothing but troubles with them and half the people in the world are convinced its the worst engine ever made (thats including worse the Dodges slant six, at least those has durability.)
    Grass is biological, an engine isnt.

KarlInOhio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

13 February 2014 Update

Switched the coils and took the car for a drive... Still the P0301 popped up...

Then went and switched Fuel injector from #1 to #2 and vice versa.... Took for a drive.... P0302!!!! YES!!!!! Bad fuel injector!!

Neighbor came over and asked me about the car and we talked for an hour til it got dark and nothing else got done, but I now know what I am dealing with... Hopefully tomorrow, a new fuel injector!

Cheers!

Update...

Went to the Pick and pull and pulled 3 fuel injectors... Cost $38.00... Went home, replaced the bad one and and wow!!! The engine was smooth and powerful (never drove one of these cars before!)... Drove over 45 minutes and no codes... Exhaust looks clear and no smoke... Coolant temperature never went above 205 degrees.

The bad... Well I added a little coolant (about 5 ounces) and noticed little flecks of metal in the coolant... STOP LEAK... ARGGHHH!!! Guess I got lied to again about the car... He said no stop leak was added. Oh well, I plan on flushing the old dexcool out anyway.

The guy who sold this to me purported to have worked as a technician for a dealership for about a year before he quit because he did not like it... I am wondering if this guy ever made it off the lube rack...

Also, I tried to get the garage door opener programmed. Spent about 10 minutes on it when I pulled it out and read the code on the garage door opener cartridge - G3480.. Which was made for Cadillacs back in the 80s to early 90's and had manually programmable DIP switches... Well, both my garage doors are newer and use digital codes, so that was not going to work... As near as I can figure, the owner before me had an old type garage door opener and had this old cartridge style ordered... I checked around and I can get the new 3 button cartridge on EBAY for around $35 ... I am kicking myself now because I could have grabbed one while I was at the pick and pull for probably $10...(which is around a 50 mile round trip drive...)... OH well, back to the pick and pull for that one....

Looking over the engine I heard a slight squeal... Looked down and saw the tensioner bouncing pretty well at idle. I don't believe there is a decoupler on the alternator... Oh well, that is not that hard to fix... Can get a new AC Delco one on Ebay for around $35 so that is on the way...

The power antenna is still working but not well. I am going to have to order a new antenna and install it... I hate those automatic styles.. They all seem to fail so easily...

I keep getting a 'Theft System Problem car may not restart'... However the car starts with no problems.. I will check for body computer codes... The only thing that I can think is that the battery is showing 12.5 at rest and a battery should never really be less than 12.6.... Really more of an annoyance than an issue.

Anyway... Still have to change the oil, 3 rear plugs, air filter and new wires.... I am sure it will purr even better with new wires...

Overall everything is coming together nicely... will try to post some pics... Starting to trust this car to go longer distances away from home...

Edit: Have B2711 PASSKey Open/Shorted Pellet After Good Key... Also, When I went out to check my codes battery was at 12.1.... So much for that battery...

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

There are a couple excellent threads on rebuilding power antennas on the forums, you can get mast and cable for around 20-25 online.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-antenna.html

The power antenna is still working but not well.
    Pack the gear, worm gear and cable slot with white lithium grease. That may be all it needs if it still works.

Went to the Pick and pull and pulled 3 fuel injectors... Cost $38.00..
    Holy shit Batman!
    KarlInOhio likes this.

Yes, I thought it was a bit pricey for the injectors as well, but new they were $85-$120 each.... And it was cold out and I didn't want to go to another scrapyard...

I also am going to just buy the mast (Mine is bent and sticky... I tried to lube it, to no avail).... Thanks for the link... I have re-done these on Imports before, so there should not be that much of an issue unless the motor is just plain tired...

I have been reading up on the VATS issues and the 'Theft System Problem car may not restart' and I will probably just install the resistor... I ohm tested my key, so I know what the resistance should be.... I am really not worried that much about someone stealing a 15 year old car I only have liability insurance on... If they want it that bad, they can have it....

The VATS resistor pre-made to spec for 1-15 coded B62 keys for less than $20... and I don't have to mess with solder or cut anything... Plug and play... worth it to me anyway...

Before I install the resistor on the VATS I am going to replace the battery, see if that has any effect.... While I have the battery out, I will put in the new belt pulley tensioner and new belt....

Also I have the code B2477 (current – reverse lamp relay shorted to ground) problem, so I will have to check into that... Other than those two issues, nothing else... Fairly happy now...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlInOhio View Post
    I also am going to just buy the mast (Mine is bent and sticky... I tried to lube it, to no avail)....
    www.antennamastsrus.com

Update...

Nice sticker, eh?

Well it did not scare me off... I continued to work on the car and found this and some interesting clues left behind....

Here is my report:

Changed the last 3 spark plugs on 3,5 and 7. Ran the car for 45 minutes... Temp never went above 203 degrees. Ran pretty much the same... Nice and smooth...with the exception of a slight sqweak...

Got out the mechanic stethoscope and found the idler pulley on the serpentine belt is noisy... Will have to replace that when I replace the belt tensioner...

Checked the fuse for the backup lights and found it blown... Replaced it and then they worked fine...

Checked all lights and the only light not working was the light above the license plate... Easy replacement.

Checked PCV valve and found it in good condition.

Air conditioning is working fine and cycling....

Air Filter was in serviceable condition.

Wipers and wiper fluid pump work fine.

Turned on the driver side seat heater and burned my @$$ on one particular spot on my right derriere cheek...... (Anyone know why there is a HOT SPOT??) I figure I will have to look into this...

Battery is 12.1 volts at rest, I will get a new battery on Friday.

The two rear tires do not match the two front tires.... I plan on getting new tires anyway so no issue.

Headlights have vapor and are cloudy... I will have to replace these... $132 on Ebay for a new set....

Will need to clean out the leaves and flora and fauna trapped on the cowl and all around the car...

************************************************** ********************************
    I am starting to put together my theory of the backstory behind this car... While looking though it I found several stickers from what I believe to be an auto auction... I think this car was listed/sold on or around November 27th, 2013 (I bought the car in January 2014) and the last owners of the car (the dealership) was on the car sticker.... It seems that I bought the car from a car flipper (which I have no real objection to) but he was not entirely honest in his description of the cars condition (but he may not have known)...

Here is my CSI analysis about this car.

Car had issues with a seizing up water pump pulley tensioner...

The water pump belt melted the water pump pulley and the belt came off (somehow the belt survived)... and the car started overheating..

Car started overheating and losing coolant (from pushing out the overflow).... Owner added STOP LEAK to try to stop the overheating...

The vehicle was taken to the dealership for an overheating issue.

Dealership looked over the car and told the owner about the costs that would be involved to repair the car (very expensive)

Car traded in and dealership knows it is overheating, has a Northstar engine and wants nothing to do with it.

Car was sent to auto auction... a nice looking car at a cheap price.... the guy I bought it from was trying to get a good deal and maybe fix it up...

The guy who purports to be a mechanic discovers it is a Northstar and it is overheating and reads about it and learns how much work it will take to fix the car....

Time to sell...

I come in and trade two toolboxes for this Caddy...

I received the car with only 7 miles added to the sticker mileage...

Just my theory...

CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Update...

I pulled a CARFAX report and pretty much confirmed what I thought... The car was babied by its first owner with all scheduled services and so forth...(oil was changed around every 3k miles).... Then the original owner sold the car to a dealership in June 2011 (with 110,770 miles). Found out the car got new front and rear brakes and rotors at 103,000 miles... (yeah!).... and the last oil change on record was done by the first owner was at 110,811 miles on the 15th of June 2011, which matches the oil change sticker still on the window!!!

A dealership sold the car to second owner and they owned it until 15 October 2013 (with 115,374 miles)... Second owner only put around 4500 miles on it..... Then it was sold through an auto auction where the guy I bought it from got it....

It had an interstate battery in it and I took it to the Interstate store to have it tested... Two bad cells... They couldn't warranty it, but sold me another one at dealer price ($110.00) with tax... The car started much easier, however the 'Theft System Problem - May Not Start' still was appearing, so I will do the resistor modification....

Today, I took her for a nice wash and then used my air compressor and blew out all the leaves and twigs from the cowl and the inner fender by the front doors... It really needed it.

Checked the serpentine belt and it looked almost new...

Added a gallon of windshield wiper fluid... was almost empty I believe....

Bought an AC Delco oil filter and 8 quarts of oil (will do oil change this weekend).

Checked the tire pressure and it was 8 pounds over on 3 tires, one tire was 5 pounds low.... Rode a little smoother after I ensured the tire pressure was correct.

Checked on the hot spot on the seat and ordered a new seat heating element today from Chris (RippyPartsDept).... Hopefully should have that next week... My plan is to post the pics of the repair job here... Should be fun... Also plan on doing the leather cleaning and re-dye the seat...

Plan is to hit the Pick n Pull on Friday and get The Garage door opener and other miscellaneous little parts... Also Friday my tensioner pulley will be in and I will pick up an Idler pulley (making a lot of sqeaking)...

Saturday I will change the oil and filter... Then replace the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley... That should quiet her down a bit..(although you can't really hear it with the hood down...

Next week the plug wires should be in and I will install them and do the coolant flush...

Here are some pics of the ride (unfortunately the car didn't stay clean long...) These pics really don't do it justice on how clean and nice the paint job still is... Will get some better pics after I detail this thing...

Another thing I really noticed today was how the rear wheel well was below the top of the tires around an inch or two... I checked the ELC fuse in the trunk and it was fine... Don't have any DTC Codes for Suspension related issue.... I wonder if the compressor is toast.... I turned the key and got in the trunk... Heard nothing from the pump and definitely nothing turned on and there was no adjustment.... Got to take a closer look at what is going on... I could see the shocks still do have air lines hooked up to them.... Maybe another part I will have to get at the pick n pull....

Update. No time to get to the pick and pull today... Hopefully tomorrow!

Today I got home with enough light left to install the idler pulley ($37) and tensioner ($35)...the belt was in great shape and did not need replacing.... A simple job...

- Remove the battery
    - Use 13mm socket to remove tensioner pulley
    - Use 15mm wrench to unbolt the idler pulley
    - Unbolt the idler pulley screw and install onto new idler pulley

Reverse the procedure (torque both tensioner pulley and idler pulley to 37 Ft-lbs)... and line up the belt... Took around 20 minutes... Started her up and she purred... No more squeal...

Then changed the oil and put on a fresh AC Delco oil filter... (boy did I feel better after doing that).... Still smelling burning oil from the rear bank... I will order the gasket and do that next week (maybe, it is due to get cold again).... Saw how I have to drop the front.. 2.7 hours labor, I am going to try to combine that job with installing the new spark plug wires...

Anyway... Here are today's pics... (sorry they aren't better or more, but I was in a hurry to get this done before dark)

New Tensioner pulley (AC Delco)

Removed both tensioner pulley and idler pulley

New Idler pulley

Installing the new Tensioner pulley... Both Idler pulley and tensioner pulley get torqued to 37 Ft-Lbs....

All installed and belt back on...

Update

Got up and went to the Pick n Pull today... Was an anomaly in Ohio's recent weather pattern here and we got a 56 degree day with sunshine... The only nice day we will have in the next 10 days..... Tomorrow is calling for snow and by Friday the high is expected to be 18 degrees!!!!

The pick and pull was packed... Found some good donor cars and pulled off this pile of stuff:

An Owners manual and case, the seat control cover for the drivers side (mine is broken in half)... The one I got was cracked a bit, but it is still better than being broken in half, I can fix with JB weld and clean it up.. It was the best condition one I found (seems to be an issue with this car). Also got the stock front bumper license plate holder.. The one on my car was an aftermarket version and looked like crap. Also got the cargo netting for the trunk (mine did not come with it)...

Also pulled a compressor pump for my Automatic Leveling system.... Boy was this a pain to pull... In a terrible spot with little access... I tested it and it pumps, so I am happy... As soon as we get some decent weather I will install and take pics and post.... should be fun!

Also got a bunch of fuses and relays from a 1999 in the yard (you can never have too many of these).... Expensive to buy new ones...

All Total spend $57 for these parts.

Note I could not find a garage door opener cartridge... It appears that these are the first things removed from the car.... So I ordered one on Ebay for $35.....

Unfortunately, I did not have time to do much today due to a previously scheduled engagement, so the only thing I could do is replace the front license plate holder...

Pics of the day:

The Load

Fuses and such (light bulb also to fix rear license plate light)

Old Front license plate holder

The new one installed... Looks much better than the old!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.