Flush/Drain Coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Flush/Drain Coolant in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Sorry for a repeat thread. But i searched and resaerched for hours. And I just need a couple questions answered. ...
    georgekelp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Flush/Drain Coolant

Sorry for a repeat thread. But i searched and resaerched for hours. And I just need a couple questions answered. This is what I got so far.
    In multiple threads people keep referring to surge tanks. is that the same as a resivroir tank?

Take Radiator Cap off? Take resivroir lid off?
    Dissconnect bottom radiator hose.
    Drain. Put in 2 Bars Gold Leak stuff.
    Connect hose back up.

Than where do I fill up the 50/50 in? Do I pour it into the radiator? Or does it go into the resivroir? I am confused at this part.

Any thing else I should know? Does the car have to running when i fill it up?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Flush/Drain Coolant

Opps sorry this is in northstar forum. I have the 4.1 engine. I dont know how to move a thread.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Northstar has a "surge tank" which is under pressure. The 4.1 has an overflow or resevouir tank which is not pressurized. 4.1 has a radiator cap. You can put the Barsleaks right in the radiator. Refill through the radiator.

Could i put the barsleak in the hose?

If so I take the hose off, drain, put barsleak, put hose back on, fill up through radiator with 50/50, and then fill up resivroir tank as well?

Yes, you can put it in the hose and you have the proceedure correct, but on your car it is an unnecessary step. The only reason we have to do it that way on the Northstar is because there is no "radiator" cap. The cap is on the surge tank and there is not enough flow in there to carry it through the system.

So in reality do i even need to take the hose off? I would rather not to save expense of new clamp and pain in the ass. Could I just drain it from the draincock?

No, you don't have to pull the hose. The 4.1 as I recall has a radiator cap and you can put the tabs or powder in there.

Thanks alot man, you have been alot of help. I;m gonna be doin this tomorrow. Should I expect Better gas milage if i suspect this radiator drain has rarely if ever been done?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.