Pressure in expansion tank
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Pressure in expansion tank in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Regardless of possible N* issues, I'm seriously considering buying a lowish-mile (under 100K) 98-00 DeVille. I've read quite a lot ...
    TexFinn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Question Pressure in expansion tank

Regardless of possible N* issues, I'm seriously considering buying a lowish-mile (under 100K) 98-00 DeVille. I've read quite a lot about the HG issues over the years as I also owned a 97 Eldorado a few years ago. That had had the HGs and other related things fixed, so I could breathe a little easier...

I drove a 78K mile 98 DeVille today and it prompted some concerns in my mind. No milky residue on the oil cap and no visible oil in coolant. Coolant temp went to about 255F while driving, but I guess that's still okay, right? Coolant was orange in color, so I'm assuming DexCool is being used.

The main thing that concerned me a lot was that there was huge amount of pressure in the expansion tank and there was a lot of coolant draining from the overflow tube. When I loosened the cap slightly, the coolant started pouring through the overflow tube almost like if you'd open a faucet fully at your house. I mean, of course there is pressure in the system, but so much that it pushes the coolant through the overflow tube? And I don't think it was really overfilled, either...

Is this kind of pressure something to be concerned about? Heater worked fine (couldn't get airflow through the center or floor vents, though), AC worked, most of the electronics also worked properly, no SES/ABS/airbag etc. lights on and it only has a few cosmetic issues to tackle.

Thank you in advance for any and all info and advice you guys could provide! Any hints/tips as to what to check/do are also appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Northstars don't typically mix coolant with oil, smoke, or develop milky residue I'm the oil cap as a result of HG issues.

DEX-COOLis irrelevant.

255 is definitely not normal. 195-210 is closer to normal while driving.

A clogged purge line could cause elevated temps, but I would do a block test before considering buying the car.

Re: Pressure in expansion tank

Thanks for the comments! Guess I need to refresh myself a little bit on the symptoms of a failed HG in the N*...

195-210, huh...? Guess it was running a bit hot, then. Would a clogged purge line also cause the seemingly excessive pressure in the expansion tank? I mean, that coolant really shot out of that overflow tube like it came from a house faucet...

Doing a block test is a bit challenging since the seller lives pretty much in the middle of nowhere and there really are no shops around... With the car being otherwise in pretty good shape and having low miles, I wonder if it would be worth 1400-1500 gamble to buy it....?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Even an otherwise immaculate '98 with HG issues isn't worth more than $1K. You can get a block test kit from most parts stores through their loan a tool program. All you have to actually purchase is the test fluid, ~$10.

There's really no way to tell if the pressure in the tank was excessive, or if the cap is just bad, without a pressure test kit. That said, coolant being purged AND overheating aren't a good sign.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

RUN, don't walk away from that car.

Regardless of possible N* issues, I'm seriously considering buying a lowish-mile (under 100K) 98-00 DeVille.
    Go for a 2000+. Stay away from the '98 & '99's.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You can perform a cylinder block exhaust gas test at the top of Mt. Everest. Simple apparatus, rented from any large parts store. The test set measures exhaust gas components in the airspace over the coolant in the surge tank. Any coolant enters the test fluid and you wash everything and start over.

Heed the advice on a '98/'99 Northstar that you cannot absolutely document recent, proper head gasket repair on. If the deal is too good to be true, it is for a reason ............

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    RUN, don't walk away from that car.

Go for a 2000+. Stay away from the '98 & '99's.
    Yeah, decided to forget about that one. Too many unsure things with it.

The problem with 2000+ is that I don't like the way they look. I like the updated oldschool-ish look of the 97-99 models.

Search continues...

You're foregoing a LOT of engine and suspension improvements by sticking with a pre-2000 model. The 98-99 were very close (almost identical) to the 2000 and later look, but had the worst problems with cylinder blocks and head bolts.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

The OP is looking at Devilles. There are large, fundamental changes between the pre and post 2000. Two styles with completely different personalities.

To a gearhead or anyone that opens the hood, the nitty gritty 2000+ updates might be worth something - maybe even enough to make sacrifices in other areas as suggested. But to most, said updates are probably irrelevant. The changes aren't anything Joe Shmoe will notice or care about from behind the wheel. As far as the engine - New heads, rollers, COP ignition, this moved over here, that moved over there... who cares? Both versions deliver a near identical driving experience (same power , same mileage). Silly to consider a different vehicle based on such (relatively) petty changes.

Yeah, Deville is what I'm looking at. Among some other vehicles, that is... Not really a big fan of Sevilles.

Cost, features and looks being qualifying factors, I would buy a 98 or 99 model at the best possible price based on drewsdeville's advice.

I said nothing about Sevilles...... strictly mechanical/electronic developments in the pre/post-2000 model year Cadillac FWD changeovers.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The BIG difference between the pre 2000's and the 2000+'s is the HG reliability factor.

That's apparently not a factor in this thread's buying decision process - appearance is.

If I don't like the styling of the 2000+ models, then I will not consider them. Even if they have better HG reliability.

I could buy also a -insert here a name of a brand with good reliability-, too, but if I don't like the way they look, then it's a mo go. Like it would be for most other people, too.

Thank you for all the comments, though.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by TexFinn View Post
    If I don't like the styling of the 2000+ models, then I will not consider them. Even if they have better HG reliability.

I could buy also a -insert here a name of a brand with good reliability-, too, but if I don't like the way they look, then it's a mo go. Like it would be for most other people, too.

Thank you for all the comments, though.
    The only thing i dont like about the 00-02 models is the lack of chrome trim on the sides and bumpers

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.