Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Won't shift out of 1st gear in Cadillac Engine Discussion; I just bought a 1994 Cadillac Devill Concours about 2 months ago. SInce then I have had an issue with ...
- 10-30-03 02:12 PM #1Cadillac Owners Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2003
Won't shift out of 1st gear
I just bought a 1994 Cadillac Devill Concours about 2 months ago. SInce then I have had an issue with the EGR valve, which I have replaced, and now it seems the car will not shift out of 1st gear. It will not go over 17 MPH.. It was riding perfectly and all of a sudden this happened. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? If so, any suggestions for a solution?? Thanks!!
- 10-30-03 02:27 PM #2
Hmm, tranny problems suck. Could be a bad solenoid, could be some internal parts have worn/broken. First things to do would be to check for codes and check the trans fluid for level, smell, and color. To check for codes (from Caddyinfo.com):
- Turn the ignition switch ON.
- On the Climate Control panel, press the OFF and WARM buttons simultaneously.
- Hold the buttons depressed until all display segments on the CC/DIC and instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminate.
- After the segment check, the diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed. Each trouble code consists of the system identifier, a three-digit code identifier and the current or history identifier. If no codes are present for a system, a NO X CODE or NO X DATA message will be displayed.
- E -- ECM trouble code
- P -- PCM trouble code
- C -- Current trouble code
- H -- History trouble code
- NO X CODE -- No code present (X represents the system)
- NO X DATA -- Communication lines are not operating (X represents the system)
And BTW - Welcome to the CadillacForums! If you get a chance say hello in the New Member Introduction Forum.
- 10-30-03 08:40 PM #3
Re: Won't shift out of 1st gear
I say its a solenoid, without knowing codes.......
Do you have any idea how well the tranny has been maintained????? Fluid changes???
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- Reese Towpower - Towing Starter Kit
Towing Starter Kit - Elite, Black Nickel InterLock 2 Inch Hitch Ball, and Ball Mount Combination, 2 Inch Drop, 3/4 Inch Rise
- Hopkins Manufacturing SubZero - Auto Emergency Shovel
Auto Emergency Shovel -
- Mr. Gasket - Fuel Pressure Gauge
Fuel Pressure Gauge - 1/8" male NPT fittingMore on Mr. Gasket - Fuel Pressure Gauge