Remove N* eng from top or Pwrtrn out Btm?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Remove N* eng from top or Pwrtrn out Btm? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am preparing to replace the headgaskets on my 97 STS. Can you eperienced guys tell me if it is ...
    air1ren is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Remove N* eng from top or Pwrtrn out Btm?

I am preparing to replace the headgaskets on my 97 STS. Can you eperienced guys tell me if it is better to pull just the engine out the top or remove the whole powertrain out the bottom? The Caddy manual shows out the top as the "alternate" method.

Reading thru all the info in these forum's I have not heard anyone say which way seemed the easiest. Has anyone tried both methods?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Re: Remove N* eng from top or Pwrtrn out Btm?

If you are able to drop it through the bottom, ie, if you have the space and something that can lift the body that high in the air, then I'd recommend going that route...I did mine out the top because of space limitations, and it wasn't really all THAT bad...just don't drink too awful much Old Granddad while you're doing it...We learned that the hard way

cart69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96STS engine only!! only thing left from my 96 after divorce

i just put mine back in and did it out the bottom, i thought it was pretty easy. just used my engine hoist and a strap to pick the car up from the radiator support. not hard at all just make sure you disconnect everything and take your time pulling it and reinstalling it. the only hard part to me was the darn connectors in the front of the motor behind the exhaust manifold on the front of the car those were super tight to get back on, but do able!!

where are you located??

I am down in Florida... It sounds like out the bottom is the way to go. I plan on taking some pix as I go and post them after. Thanks to both of you for the advice...

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

No prob...good luck on the project!

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I definitely think out the bottom is the quickest way to go. Make sure you have an extra pair of eyes when lifting and dropping the body on the powertrain.

Will do... Thanks!

greggbruce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 sts 90 deville

bottom is WAY easier than top. whole powertrain out, seperate engine from trans, put on engine stand, get busy!!
    do them pan seals and crankcase seals while you got it out if there's any signs of leakage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.