Performace Module???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Performace Module??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Has anyone used this performace module I found on ebay? I dont know what to think when I see these ...
    Northstar_V8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Performace Module???

Has anyone used this performace module I found on ebay? I dont know what to think when I see these things but I was hoping someone could give me some information to what it actually does and if it increases horsepower/tourque? Do you think it is actually worth it?

I know there are not to many performance upgrades for the northstar but I was wondering if anyone can share there experiances with low cost performance upgrades. I am looking for peak performace in my northstar. Alot say that stock still produces the best numbers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33598

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lry99eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Performace Module???

Well N*, here's my opinion. And it's worth just about what you paid for it. I've been modifying Detroit Iron for nearly 40 yrs. I discovered very early on that in order to get performance out of, let's say a chevy smallblock , you had to undo what it took a whole team of engineers to do. Wasn't too bad to do with after market parts, and as aftermarket performance equipment "engineers" got better, so did the actual performance. But that's with a center cam pushrod engine. We're talking a small displacement V8 with 32 valves and double overhead cams here. The difference in engineering is quantum.
    Now add in the fuel injection, all electronicly controled, as well as the ignition modules and crank triggered timing all tuned to be all things possible and still be drivable and reliable and what do you have? A hottrodders dream come true, or nightmare! No longer can a guy pull the emulsefier tubes from a zinc bodied carbuerator, drill a few somewhat closely positioned .022" diameter thruholes in these tubes and then get better off idle throttle response. In other words, with todays incredably well engineered sytems, in order to get any more than what is already there is that if you change one thing you have to change all that is in line with it. Not any easy thing to accomplish and for what? A gain in performance that the seat of your pants may never really feel other than your wallet being less noticeable.
    Save your money. Just keep it within the factory specs for those consumable parts like spark plugs and the like, and don't mess with it. Keep it well maintained with oil and coolant as engineered and drive happy. The module you bought will only slightly alter the parameters of general operating systems as designed, if your lucky it doesn't fail altogether.

95Concours is offline Expired eMail Address

Maybe im nuts, but this G-Box is for 1990-2005, meaning in can go into OBD1 & OBD2 cars.. Arent the OBD2 cars supposed to be unhackable? Sounds like a scam to me.......

duecentoi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Being that the "magic box" is a 2 wire in/2 wire out arangement I strongly suspect that it is just a series resister that attempts to trick the ECU by altering the value that it sees from one of the sensors. Most likely the ECT. Most likely making the ECU "see" a colder engine and richening up the mixture a bit and maybe altering timing. The problem with that strategy is that the ECU really only pays attention to TPS, MAF, RPM and EGO readings during closed loop, so it quickly figures out that the ECT is out of calibration and compensates for it. Save your money.

I never actaully bought this module i just came across it on ebay and it made me wonder what it could actually do. (obviously not much)! What do you think about opening up the exaust and getting an air intake kit? I heard that is about the only cheap way to get any more power out of the N*?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

There's a thread about cold air intakes and how they don't really do much you should search for. Exhaust and nitrous are the only cheap/easy things to do. And with nitrous you better do it right or you can be out a couple grand for a new engine.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Bbob once commented on this. He basicaly said what Deucentoi said. It just tricks the PCM on intake temps or something similar and doesn't do much else. He also said that all the "low hanging fruit" was picked at the factory and that there "wasn't much left on the table" as far as getting any more out of the engine. Keep in mind that the Northstar already produces 1HP per cubic inch, something most hotrodders strive for.

N* V8, read between the lines here...........................just save your money.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by lry99eldo
    Well N*, here's my opinion. And it's worth just about what you paid for it. I've been modifying Detroit Iron for nearly 40 yrs. I discovered very early on that in order to get performance out of, let's say a chevy smallblock , you had to undo what it took a whole team of engineers to do. Wasn't too bad to do with after market parts, and as aftermarket performance equipment "engineers" got better, so did the actual performance. But that's with a center cam pushrod engine. We're talking a small displacement V8 with 32 valves and double overhead cams here. The difference in engineering is quantum.
    Now add in the fuel injection, all electronicly controled, as well as the ignition modules and crank triggered timing all tuned to be all things possible and still be drivable and reliable and what do you have? A hottrodders dream come true, or nightmare! No longer can a guy pull the emulsefier tubes from a zinc bodied carbuerator, drill a few somewhat closely positioned .022" diameter thruholes in these tubes and then get better off idle throttle response. In other words, with todays incredably well engineered sytems, in order to get any more than what is already there is that if you change one thing you have to change all that is in line with it. Not any easy thing to accomplish and for what? A gain in performance that the seat of your pants may never really feel other than your wallet being less noticeable.
    Save your money. Just keep it within the factory specs for those consumable parts like spark plugs and the like, and don't mess with it. Keep it well maintained with oil and coolant as engineered and drive happy. The module you bought will only slightly alter the parameters of general operating systems as designed, if your lucky it doesn't fail altogether.
    An extremely well put precis' on the follies of "gimmick" aftermarket performance enhancers, at least for the N*; and probably for nearly all modern computer-controlled engines. Stickier tires, a free-er flowing exhaust, and a performance driving lesson or two (or three..) are probably the best, if not ONLY, things that can be done easily, cheaply, and reliably to a N* equipped Caddy. I understand that the stock air box flows PLENTY of air into the engine, so a mod there is pretty much useless in real terms.

I have a question! Where does the post 95 Model N*'s get the extra 5 Horses from? I wont mess with the ECU or the Intake system and I will free up my exaust and get some good tires!

What about a fastchip! I hear thay actually have some effect in performance!

So what you guys are saying is that my stock N* is currenty at peak performance!

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar_V8
    I have a question! Where does the post 95 Model N*'s get the extra 5 Horses from?
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe Bbob (*aka* The Man ) said that the extra 5hp was gained by redesigning the intake manifol a little bit.

Hi N*V8, yes, we are saying ecactly that your engine is at peak performance. Putting on exhaust mods will in all likelyhood increase the efficency which in turn will result in freeing up what is already there. Exhaust won't "produce" HP in the same way as cam duration, cam ramps for longer opening duration and quicker closing timings, etc, etc.
    Cadillac is an American icon for luxury and in some cases, performance. Just take what you have there and keep it at peak performance. There's not alot of cars out there that perform as well as these Caddys in stock trim.

CadCrazy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hey Northstar V8. these people here are very intelligent but have no concept of makeing horsepower and torque on an aftermarket level. Don't let them blind you. If you want your North Star to make power you have to spend money!!! and You can get 7 to 800 horsepower and it's been done!!! Check these people out and what they have done. http://www.chrfab.com/ They are makeing tons of power with a stock bottom end and useing it.......the car can handle a light pressure turbo or supercharger but the problem lies in the ECU. the parameters can be changed and remapped but these knuckle heads wont let anybody do it....So your stuck with haveing to buy a seperate engine management system which is very costly. I personally had a down payment on a supercharger kit that went sour due to the ECU and my money was refunded after 2 years of waiting. http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstarsupercharger.htm
    http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstarperf.htm
    the exhaust mods work to for a little bit of power. My 98 STS was running stock 15.8 in the quarter and with the corsa exhaust and opened airbox(cut the bottom out) I was running in the mid 14s. Knocking over a second off is a big deal. and I have the time slips to prove it. I recently sold the car but kept the exhaust. the coolest thing I done was to put the blinker mirrors on from a 04 deville. the just pop right in and you run two wires for the blinker. Very easy to do. Just take the door panels off and the dash board out and wire it into the flasher unit ....
    In conclusion here the exhaust and open air box "WILL" make a noticable difference. these jokers here saying other wise are plain out #$%!@^##....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Anything is possible for the right price but if you take the time to read Northstar V8's original post he is asking for "low cost performance upgrades". I don't think chrfab fits that catagory but that's just one "jokers" opinion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.