1996 Deville...... 4.6 Northstar trouble......lotsa trouble.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1996 Deville...... 4.6 Northstar trouble......lotsa trouble. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, it's me again! I have a 96 Deville 4.6 that I just can't seem to get it to pass ...
    ralphieboy57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 DeVille

1996 Deville...... 4.6 Northstar trouble......lotsa trouble.

Hello, it's me again!I have a 96 Deville 4.6 that I just can't seem to get it to pass smog here in California. I have replaced THE PLUGS, PLUG WIRES, FPR regulator, Intake manifold gaskets, anti backfire valve, air filter, oil change. After I did the intake manifold anti backfire valve, it started right up and ran good for a few days and now it runs real bad and eats gas like crazy, and it hesitates on acceleration. Hard to start hot or cold. Here are the codes it now throws.

P1406- is an EGR pintle position problem.

P0108- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit High Voltage.

P0151- HO2S Circuit Low Voltage

P0300- Engine Misfire Detected.

What would cause all this to happen? Did I do something wrong? Im about ready to give this car away or junk it but I got too much $$$ into it and I am just too suborn to not finish the job I set out to do. I consider myself a expert Auto mechanic and have never had a car stump me like this one. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Judging by the codes...

A sticking EGR valve, a faulty MAP sensor (or problem in the circuit), and a faulty O2 sensor (or problem in the circuit).

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: 1996 Deville 4.6 Northstar trouble......lotsa trouble.

Did you use AC 41950 plugs? Clean the TB?
    I'd be poking around looking for another vacuum leak also if codes don't lead to a fix.

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

Quote Originally Posted by ralphieboy57 View Post
    Hello, it's me again!I have a 96 Deville 4.6 that I just can't seem to get it to pass smog here in California. I have replaced THE PLUGS, PLUG WIRES, FPR regulator, Intake manifold gaskets, anti backfire valve, air filter, oil change. After I did the intake manifold anti backfire valve, it started right up and ran good for a few days and now it runs real bad and eats gas like crazy, and it hesitates on acceleration. Hard to start hot or cold. Here are the codes it now throws.

P1406- is an EGR pintle position problem.
    Ive got a 98 Deville, put thousands into it and it keeps popping codes I'll drive it till it quits then I'll junk it. No more old high mileage cars of anykind for me. I wouldnt buy a Cadillac unless it was at least a 2010.

P0108- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit High Voltage.

P0151- HO2S Circuit Low Voltage

P0300- Engine Misfire Detected.

What would cause all this to happen? Did I do something wrong? Im about ready to give this car away or junk it but I got too much $$$ into it and I am just too suborn to not finish the job I set out to do. I consider myself a expert Auto mechanic and have never had a car stump me like this one. Any help would be appreciated.
    You bought an old Cadillac.. I wouldnt touch one of these unless it was at least a 2006 or better yet 2010 (ask me how I know) my 98 Deville has me broke and it's still popping codes I'll drive it till it wont go anymore and then I'll junk it but I'm not putting any more money in this disaster.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Let's move this down to Engines, Northstar. Down there, you might get more engine diagnosis than here in Deville.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1996 Deville...... 4.6 Northstar trouble......lotsa trouble.

Seems pretty obvious to me. Clean the EGR valve, replace the MAP & O2 sensor and clean the TB if you didn't do it when you had the manifold off. After that you should pass with flying colors.

ralphieboy57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Seems pretty obvious to me. Clean the EGR valve, replace the MAP & O2 sensor and clean the TB if you didn't do it when you had the manifold off. After that you should pass with flying colors.
    I did clean the throttle body. But EGR, no it wasn't cleaned. That will be my Monday afternoon project.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Donald View Post
    You bought an old Cadillac.. I wouldnt touch one of these unless it was at least a 2006 or better yet 2010 (ask me how I know) my 98 Deville has me broke and it's still popping codes I'll drive it till it wont go anymore and then I'll junk it but I'm not putting any more money in this disaster.
    Bottom line your right. But if that was the norm there wouldn't be any of those beautiful classic cars you see from time to time on the road. The old Devilles are a testament to what America is all about.

----------

Again, thank you all who take there time to answer questions from people like me. Your wisdom and knowledge about these cars is priceless.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

I agree with Ranger...those first 3 codes...the EGR valve, the O2 sensor...there are probably 2, or maybe even 3 on a California car..., and the MAP sensor...are all things that would directly affect emissions. I'd just replace them all. All that other stuff you replaced would have much less affect on emissions than what the codes are telling you.... Are you saying those codes were all not there before you did work?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's a '96 so it has 4 O2 sensors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.