CAT = good and ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, CAT = good and ? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So I went to the muffler shop today. Removed the resonator, and threw in a magnaflow cat. The car is ...
    WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Unhappy CAT = good and ?

So I went to the muffler shop today. Removed the resonator, and threw in a magnaflow cat. The car is at least twice as loud now at WOT, and has a lot more rumble at idle. During highway speeds and just cruising at low throttle there is no droan, its just slightly louder than it was. Now here is where it gets interesting....it shifts a lot harder into second and it squacks almost every time during WOT from a stop light. (cant wait 2 c the numbers at the track) but here is the problem..sometimes, when it shifts hard, and I dont get the wheels to let go, the drive belt gives of a quick squeel like its slipping...any ideas? (brand new belt)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: CAT = good and ?

I think Bbob once said that is normal slippage as the RPM suddenly changes and the belts are trying to keep up.

dhs
    dhs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow sounds like a big performance increase with the high flow cat. I have to get mine replced on my 00, and I was wondering if you can tell me what model the magnaflow is and where did you get it? Where does the o2 sensor connect, on the cat itself or before after the cat? How much did you pay to get this done?

Im not really sure the model number...just a universal one im assuming. I got it done at midas. I had them remove the whole mid section cat 2 a few inches past the resonator. If u look under, the last O2 sensor is past the cat on the stock setup, so they rigged up a piece of pipe using the flange from the old cat. Mounted the new cat in the middle, and also threw in an 02 adaptor just after the cat so its set up the exact same way as it was before. (exctept no resonator) The whole deal ended up costing my gf 460$CDN..isn't she a doll. I believe the cat was around 280$CDN...ill try to find the bill, if im way off base here ill edit this post...FYI. It became a lot louder...hope this helps...track next week maybe if i get back for the weekend....

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Here is the magnaflow converter page. Maybe it will help. I really liked the Magnaflow mufflers I put on my Ford TurboCoupe.

dhs
    dhs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Why did you remove the resonator? I always heard removing it made the car sound bad. Did they not want to cut the pipe or something?

Im my opinion there was no reason to have a resonator if I was putting all this money on high flow cats and mufflers. Might as well remove it and gain that extra .4 HP. Seeing as extra hp is hard 2 get out of these things. I think removing it on a v6 or a 4banger might make it sound droany. But on this car it just made it a lot louder, and it has a nice backfire burp on deceleration. Especially if u manually downshift.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.