low (or no) oil pressure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, low (or no) oil pressure in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just replaced the head gasket in the left head of my 98 Deville, 4.6L NS. Did the timeserts and ...
    Claude is offline Cadillac Owners Member

low (or no) oil pressure

I just replaced the head gasket in the left head of my 98 Deville, 4.6L NS. Did the timeserts and all. Took the car from Utah to Phoenix without any problems. Engine temperature got no higher than 224 (it was 112 in Phoenix).
    Never had to add coolant. That was exciting.

About 100 miles from home I stopped the car. On restart the low oil light came on. Reving the engine seemed to keep the light under control and got us home.

Next day the problem seemed worse. There was a small oil slick under the front center of the engine. The leak does not appear to have come from the pressure switch. That leak has also not happened again.

I replaced the pressure switch. Low pressure warning is now constant and there is some noise in the engine.

What would cause the pressure to fail? The pump looks like there is nothing to break or wear out. There is plenty of oil in the system.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Claude

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Re: low (or no) oil pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Claude
    Low pressure warning is now constant and there is some noise in the engine.
    I would definetly not drive the car until you figure out what's going on, the noise is most likely the result of a lack of oil to the engine. If its of any help, a dealership once told me if your oil filter adapter were to begin to fail it would lead to low oil pressure... check it out, although I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

If you had the balancer off to time the cams it may not be tight enough. The oil pump is behind it on the crank. I didn't have this problem but I remember an old post about it.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    If you had the balancer off to time the cams it may not be tight enough. The oil pump is behind it on the crank. I didn't have this problem but I remember an old post about it.
    Yeah, what zonie77 said. The oil pump is driven by the press fit between the pump and the balancer. If the balancer isn't good and tight, you won't get good pressure. That's one thing to check. A restriction at the filter or filter adapter could also do it. The pump is probably fine.
    Mike

We originally put the balancer on with an impact wrench. Then my brother was worried that it was too tight so we backed it off and then torqued it with the torque wrench. I will definitely keep this in mind as a possible problem.

I have been reading on this site about a mis-aligned screen and a stuck check valve. Does anyone have ideas pertaining to these? I have another post on the site asking about this.

Thanks for your help.
    Claude

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

I bet that's your problem...if i remember right, its got to be at some ungodly high lb ft...300 stands out in my mind for some reason...

After more thorough reading of the information on this and the Caddy Info site, I boiled it down to 3 possibilities:
    1. Stuck check valve
    2. Problem with the intake screen
    3. Harmonic balancer bolt too loose.

#3 Seemed like it might be more consistent with the fact that the car ran 1500 miles before the problem surfaced. Then it surfaced gradually -- the indicator light would go off if I revved the engine. By the third day there didn't seem to be any pressure at all.

I put the wrench on the balancer bolt and it came loose almost immediately with very little effort. (So what I said about torquing it to the right specs was apparently not correct. We didn't have a number. See below.)

Now my humble, eat-crow question is: What is the torque and angle to properly install this bolt?

Thanks
    Claude

try searching through the archives..I know its been talked about in the past...I can't say for sure what it is though...I do think its somewhere near 300, but am not sure... good luck!

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

My '98 Service Manual says the crankshaft balancer bolt torque is 37 lb ft plus 120 degrees.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

'97 & '99 manuals say the same, 37 + 120

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

As JIMD and Ranger both noted, 37 ft lbs + 120 degrees.

Loosen the crankshaft bolt, jamb the flywheel, and tighten as noted above.

If you just try and tighten the bolt by torque, it will not be tightened correctly to lock down the oil pump rotor.

Note: Earlier Northstars had a much higher torque, due to the larger bolt in use. If you tighten to the older spec you will damage parts.

If you no longer get the low oil pressure message all is well.

If the message stays you may have put the oil pump in backwards, and will need to remove it and reinstall as noted above.

-George

huh...good thing the others chimed in here...I'd have broken your N*!

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by growe3

If the message stays you may have put the oil pump in backwards, and will need to remove it and reinstall as noted above.

-George
    I don't think you can put the oil pump in backwards...it only has 3 screws holding it and won't physically fit in backwards. Not to mention that it would never build any oil pressure because the inlets would be facing away from the block

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Pjs
    I don't think you can put the oil pump in backwards...it only has 3 screws holding it and won't physically fit in backwards. Not to mention that it would never build any oil pressure because the inlets would be facing away from the block
    Actually it can, (the impeller) and the reason that I mention as a possibility was that I was in communication with the person that did it, about a year ago.

-George

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.