01 Deville Cylinder #1 misfire - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 01 Deville Cylinder #1 misfire in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ........ and have you continued your resistance checks to the entire fuel injector wiring harness/connectors ?...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 01 Deville Cylinder #1 misfire

........ and have you continued your resistance checks to the entire fuel injector wiring harness/connectors ?

StephanBlake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS Black

P0300 -engine misfire.

no spark / incorrect firing time Cylinder 1 constant misfire

New crankshaft position sensors. Both were re-learned yesterday and camshaft aswell.

And injectors are fine and working.

So now im wondering if this SOB jumped time? I highly doubt it but it could be possible.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

You replaced the PCM, does the 01 have one ICM or 1 for each bank?? If one I'd say it was bad.
    The only thing even remotely close was this post(diff year) that mentions the problem was a poor connection at ICM.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-pack-s-2.html

See post 17. apparently the pins were collapsed a little and not making contact. might be worth a look.
    Good luck.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Are the injector codes gone?
    If the misfire is steady on cylinder 1 swap the coil packs from bank to bank and see if you get a different cylinder misfire.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

2000 - late 2003 Northstar has two (identical) ICMs - one in each coil cassette L-leg.

Each is removable with 2 screws and 2 plastic snap tangs. Careful - and each ICM has a seal ring and connector at the cassette itself.
    StephanBlake likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by StephanBlake View Post

So now im wondering if this SOB jumped time? I highly doubt it but it could be possible.
    Highly unlikely.

Well basic run down is i swapped packs misfire stayed in cylinder 1. even got a coil pack from the junk yard and still no difference. it is only a single misfire and not a whole bank. injector codes gone, just very stumped. i used a meter to measure voltage coming from pcm to coils and all checked out fine. ohmed out the coil packs aswell and all checks out fine.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Swap/ Replace injector number one..........

If you have the skills, try swapping more components, swap 2 of the injectors, swap some spark plugs....swap one thing at a time and recheck. When the miss moves, you have found your problem. If you can't find the issue this way you may have a mechanical issue.

Well as I said before I pulled out injector #1 and tested it myself. Fully functional and not plugged up....

@ ewill3rd in the beginning of my post i have already done that.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

It may not be spraying enough fuel.

Yes, it's functioning but if the spray pattern isn't correct or enough isn't being injected, it could lead to a problem.

The only way to KNOW for sure is to have it flow tested.

To have an isolated problem in one cylinder like that is ironic. You have compression, the plugs should be gapped correctly. You have swapped coils, yes, the injector is firing, but is it enough? Possibly questionable. The only thing that is going to be left is a burnt exhaust valve, but that will affect compression to some degree.

Swap another injector......

Sorry I missed that earlier. If you have swapped the injector, the spark plug and the coils and you have a misfire on number 1 that won't move then you most likely have one of two issues. I would have to look at the schematics but depending on how the coils are triggered there could be a wiring issue for the #1 coil control circuit or you have a mechanical problem. Pardon my ADD but I think you said you ran a compression check? Another question is, you know that cylinder 1 is on the rear bank right?

yes cylinder 1 is rear left if you're in front of the car, near the coolant fill tank. Considering I had the PCM reprogrammed, wouldnt the dealer have noticed that during the reprogramming? Also on my first post i did and ohms test on the coils and a voltage test to pcm from coil connector harness, and all seemed fine and i compared to the front. Does anyone know if you can pull the coil out still plugged in ground the spring in the middle of coil to car and turn over key to see if any plugs are sparking???? or do i need to have plugs near metal to get it to spark? Id really would like to try it to see if the #1 is sparking...... im guessing its going to be near impossible because the boots have springs in them and it may be hard to keep plugs in boots and on coil properly so no spark can escape where its not supposed to. I also have the old coil i can temporarily hook up so i do not have to tear off rear coil.

If you swapped the coil cassettes from front to rear that eliminates the coils. Ohm testing is entirely worthless on a coil. Oh it can identify a truly bad one but I won't identify a marginal one that fails under load. If you really want to do some testing for spark you can get some lengths of 7/32" vacuum hose and use them as "plug wires" They will fit on the tips of the coils and the carbon content is high enough but you have to be careful because if you touch them and you touch the car you will be carrying the spark energy through your body. You would need to have a ground for the coil housing to the engine, a wire with some clips on it should work fine. If all your tests were done properly you could have a mechanical condition like a valve guide, spring, lifter, or seat issue. I would try doing a leak down test if you can get your hands on the proper equipment. If you have your compression tester you could try a running compression test but it will be very hard with that ignition system.

UPDATE what are the odds that the new coil pack i got was bad??????? I returned it and got another one and problem solved!!!! Im so relieved. I feel like a new cadillac owner!! Thanks for everyone that looked into this for me as i greatly appreciated the info and help.

P.S. while I was installing the new coil cassette, my key fob was in my pocket and i hit the panic button and about had a freaking heat attack!! i had to sit down for a sec to bring my pulse down lol.

car.jpg
    98eldo32v and CadillacLuke24 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.