Spark Plugs on 94 STS.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Spark Plugs on 94 STS. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've read the thread on changing out the spark plugs, and it looks pretty straight forward. However, my mechanic refused ...
    ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Spark Plugs on 94 STS.

I've read the thread on changing out the spark plugs, and it looks pretty straight forward. However, my mechanic refused the job because he says it's too hard to get the back bank of plugs out.

What's the real deal on these things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Spark Plugs on 94 STS.

sounds like a lame mechanic.

Just remove the ignition coil packs (also the cross brace if you want to) its a breeze.

I did it curbside in the middle of winter (it was a 98 deville but may be similar to yours)

DIY costs about 130 bucks

Mechanic/dealer will charge about 400 bucks or more

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I did mine without removing anything (except the plugs). Just needed a 6" extension. It's a straight shot at the plugs. Much easier than it looks.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ktills45
    However, my mechanic refused the job because he says it's too hard to get the back bank of plugs out.
    hahahahahaha! What a tard! I can list 10 cars by memory that have such bad and misplaced plugs that it would make a kitten swear.

Read: get a new mechanic, and never look back.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

A cow magnet works wonders too...stick it to the end of your extension, then drop both down the hole, pulls the old plug out like nothing...just don't forget to take it out from under your hood, so when you close the hood at a gas station in the middle of Death Valley on a roadtrip to Vegas you don't bend the hinge, causing it to stick up a quarter of an inch on the drivers side. Don't ask how I know that's possible.

is this a dumb question: whats a cow magnet?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

please tell me those things don't get rammed up the cows @ss!?!
    Holy smokes!

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

That would be the wrong end of the digestive system.

Thanks for the replies.

I had the engine cover off last nite, looks pretty easy once the strut and coil pack are out.

BTW, any reason for gas/liquid to be on the outside of those plenum runners under the cover? I kind of figured that area should basically be dry...

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    hahahahahaha! What a tard! I can list 10 cars by memory that have such bad and misplaced plugs that it would make a kitten swear.

Read: get a new mechanic, and never look back.
    I've perhaps given you the wrong impression of this mechanic.

He's actually a great mechanic, for two very important reasons.

1) He knows what he can do, and when he performs those repairs they stay repaired. In 10 years, I've never had to have any additional work done which he had fixed. He also knows what he's not comfortable working on, and tells me flat out that he isn't.

2) I can trust him completely.

I realize it might seem odd that he wouldn't take this job, but he's older, old school and doesn't like the N* at all. I think the complexity gets to him, and he's not willing to work on something which might end up getting him in trouble and costing me more money then it should.

That said, I will have to start hunting for a dealer to start doing service work on this car, as well as the CTS.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

You might give it a try yourself?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I would say, without bias, that the spark plugs on the Northstar are about the easiest plugs in the world to change....especially for a V8. Other things are harder to do maybe but the plugs are a breeze to change.

You really shouldn't be pulling the silver top cover unless absolutely necessary to get inside the intake manifold. It is absolutely unnecessary to take the top cover off to change the plugs.

The silver top cover on your engine (93 and 94) is actually the top of the intake manifold. The silver top cover is a functional part of the intake manifold. The tubes you mention are usually covered with an oily film as they are INSIDE the intake manifold. The silver top cover on the 95 and later engines is primarily a beauty cover but on yours it is a functional part. Don't even think of starting the engine with the silver cover off as the engine will be unthrottled and you will experience of a runaway engine bouncing off the rev limiter if you start it with the cover off.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    You might give it a try yourself?
    Pfft, that was the entire point of this post. :rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    I would say, without bias, that the spark plugs on the Northstar are about the easiest plugs in the world to change....especially for a V8. Other things are harder to do maybe but the plugs are a breeze to change.

You really shouldn't be pulling the silver top cover unless absolutely necessary to get inside the intake manifold. It is absolutely unnecessary to take the top cover off to change the plugs.

The silver top cover on your engine (93 and 94) is actually the top of the intake manifold. The silver top cover is a functional part of the intake manifold. The tubes you mention are usually covered with an oily film as they are INSIDE the intake manifold. The silver top cover on the 95 and later engines is primarily a beauty cover but on yours it is a functional part. Don't even think of starting the engine with the silver cover off as the engine will be unthrottled and you will experience of a runaway engine bouncing off the rev limiter if you start it with the cover off.
    Um, yeah I found that out once I pulled it off.

Guess I need to invest in a torque wrench now.

I was going by the link in the tech archives for pulling the plugs, I initially thought the cover was a beauty cover. Seemed to be torqued down damn tight for a beauty cover though.

Anyhow, just rolled 132k. Plugs are coming out this Saturday or Sunday, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.