Help my Cadillac Starts by itself
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Help my Cadillac Starts by itself in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 96 Cadillac Seville SLS with a 4.6L Northstar engine. I bought it used and occasionally I will ...
    Sam Hamp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Help my Cadillac Starts by itself

I have a 96 Cadillac Seville SLS with a 4.6L Northstar engine. I bought it used and occasionally I will go out to my garage and the car will be running I have never seen anything like it. Has anyone out there ever encountered this problem or can you direct me as to what the problem may be!!!!!! Thanks in advance for your help.

**Note: I do NOT have a remote start on this vehicle...that I am aware of**

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Help my Cadillac Starts by itself

wtf?

Time to call the Ghostbusters?

I have NEVER heard of such a thing. NEVER!!

(edit: do you have a remote start? Or perhaps one you don't know about? I could see that causing the problem...)

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A couple of qustions. Will the keys be in it as it runs? Does it stop if you hit the brake pedal? Will the key be turned on?

Yea I can put the key in it when it is running. If I put the key in when it is running and turn the key on then it will not turn off and I can not drive. But YES if I hit the brake pedal it will turn off.

Note: The only way it turns off is to hit the brake pedal ( that I have found)

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

my grandfather took his car to a mechanic one time after i had played a joke on him for a week .....he would be inside taking a nap and id run out and start his car , then promptly come back in ...he thought for sure the car was starting itself ...i finnaly told him and he went and got the car before th emechanic looked at it ....never the less i wasnt able to reach the keys after that ...

the hobbys we have when we are 10

I wish that was the case Stoneage but it has happened while I was standing there next to it.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

sounds like a remote start system is installed. Do you hear a relay click when you hit the brake?

It may be set up to keep the car cool when it is really hot out.

I have not noticed a relay click I will listen closely next time. The other thing is it has occured in all types of wheather. I have owned the car for about a year now and it has gone through winter, summer spring and fall in temperature from 5 to 105 and it does not seem to make a difference in when it starts up.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

There could be a remote starter installed. Check under the dash on the drivers left side. There is a plastic panel hiding the wiring under the dash. Just a few screws to lower it and see if there's an aftermarket box there.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Damn! This has got to be a Caddy forum first!!!!

Even if it did have a remote start, it would have to be activated by remote.

I know of several people with remote starts, and most of the time you have to hit at least 2 buttons on a transmitter in succession before you can attain engine start.

Do you know the previous owner? Does he or she know where you live?

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by STS 310
    Even if it did have a remote start, it would have to be activated by remote.
    Typically the cheap ones run on the same frequency. I wouldn't be surprised if a neighbor down the road is using the same one... Or else the light reflected off Venus was being red shifted into radio waves by the sudden expansion of the universe around your immediate home.

Either way, you should be able to tell fairly easily. Does your house suddenly expand into the size of the sun every once and a while? Have you seen other neighbors car's start by themselves?

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Hehehe...I guess that's better than not starting at all, eh?

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

The brake shutting it off is a dead giveaway of a remote start system. Shouldn't be too hard to find. It would be up under the dash on the driver's side.

Jim

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Remote starts are a way of life around here, Fairbanks, Alaska. The ones I own, allow a remote start up to a quarter of a mile away using the transmitter but they also can be set to maintain a temperature in the car either by A/C on a hot day or heating on a cool day. You have a remote start that has gone stupid and doesn't know what it wants to do. Look around for it under the dash. If you can identify it there should be no problem getting instructions and a transmitter for it. They are great on a hot day where you can start the car and cool it down before you get in it or warm it on a cool one. Try it, you'll like it. There are some anti-theft features like the brake pedal kills it and so forth that you'll have to get familiar with but that will all be in the instructions.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Well, looks like all you need to do is locate the brain, or have it done for you, change the frequency, buy a remote and your set!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.