94 N* motor pulled tips and ideas
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 94 N* motor pulled tips and ideas in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have a power steering line that is also bad on my 94 and as of right now i dont ...
    cart69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96STS engine only!! only thing left from my 96 after divorce

94 N* motor pulled tips and ideas

i have a power steering line that is also bad on my 94 and as of right now i dont think its going to be possible to change with the engine in so i am looking at dropping the motor,, i need to do valve cover gaskets, one 02 sensor and an idle speed controller and anything else i find, also my oil pan is leaking slightly, and tips to remove the assembly from the car or anything else that would be smart to replace or inspect while its out would be great so i can build an attack list for if i do pull it. thanx

oh yea cowden you done this before, i got a couple cases of liquid " you CAN fix it" if you feel the need to cruise by and lend a hand!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: 94 N* motor pulled tips and ideas

The engine is a lot ,and I mean A LOT, of work to remove. The problems you list don't come close to justifying pulling the engine.

Look at the tech section thread "head gaskets" and you'll get an idea what's involved.

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    The engine is a lot ,and I mean A LOT, of work to remove. The problems you list don't come close to justifying pulling the engine.

Look at the tech section thread "head gaskets" and you'll get an idea what's involved.
    If you do decide to pull the engine anyway, I would just replace everything that's worn on the engine. All pulleys and belts, all hoses,all sensors, any and everything that would be hard to replace while the engine is still in the car.

i know its gonna involve quite a bit i almost wonder if it maybe easier than some i have done before since the engine and trans are one and come out the bottom that way, versus having to separate or bring both out the top. anyhow i am going to try to not pull the motor assembly but if i do again any hints are always welcome!!!

addison you are right on i had planned if it was pulled to replace everything i could find or that even looked bad

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cart69
    oh yea cowden you done this before, i got a couple cases of liquid " you CAN fix it" if you feel the need to cruise by and lend a hand!!!!!
    I wish I could help you with this one, man! Unfortunately my house is on the market and I'm shopping for a new one and this stuff is going to keep me busy for a while. Plus these 12 hour work days aren't helping either... Say, that liquid courage you got, does it work when you need help moving? :drinker
    Mike

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Never moved without it! ...strange enough, I've done a LOT of moving in the last 6 years or so...school and jobs and college bball and such, and I can't remember a single time that I've done it in the daylight. Every move seems to happen "after hours" ...

it helps out with about everything!!! if you need a hand moving let me know i have a full size truck, where ya movin too?? out towards me?? more bang for the buck out here!!

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cart69
    it helps out with about everything!!! if you need a hand moving let me know i have a full size truck, where ya movin too?? out towards me?? more bang for the buck out here!!
    Where I live now, my commute time is 3.5 hours every day to get into the city. I have to move east to cut it down to 2 hours a day or less... I know, I know, why would anybody want to commute 3.5 hours a day, right? Sorry I don't have a good answer for ya other than "I love my job." At least they allow crappy day removal fluid on the train ride home... :drinker
    Mike

well got the engine assembly out on sat, not too bad, it had its bad points but all in all in went smooth, nothing got broken in the process, althought one little connector the wires pulled out of when i was removing it, but thats an easy fix, so now that its out i see someone has been around it before, dont know if its ever been out but the trans line on back of the trans was rubbing the cv shaft on the drivers side as well as the power steering line that i am after to fix, so i already bought a tranny line and replaced it

new question is about the mysterious oil leak it has, it fills the intake valley/ under the intake/ with engine oil, about and inch deep? could this be a head gasket leaking oil?? i see no sign of coolant leakage. i pulled the intake and cleaned it up a month or so ago and now its back, i need to figure it out while the engines out, any suggestions??

mechanix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes, cart69, it is! Welcome to the "head gasket fraternity!" *lol*

that was my fear!!! noow i will need head gaskets new head bolts and a time sert kit right?? should i replace the timing chain or anything other than the front cover gasket? oh yea i dont need to separate the trans do i?? i didnt see a reason to but i am not sure

also wondering if there is any specific head gasket i should get??? from gm directly? or is one from rock auto sufficient??

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Rock auto should be supplying you with a GM part but check with them. Gmpartsdirect.com should be the same. The oil may be the headgasket. Can you tell where it's coming from? I think there is pressurized oil on the chain side ot the head. I would be prepared to timesert the block if you do the head gaskets. If the threads look perfect ( and I mean PERFECT ) you might take a chance but there have been a couple of guys that had the threads go while torqueing them or shortly after. I wouldn't take a chance.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Are you sure that the oil is not from the power steering leaking..?????

If the pump or reservoir leaks it will go into the valley and look like an engine oil leak.

thats whats i was thinking bbob, but i even did the taste test and the ps fluid doesnt have anywhere near the same taste let alone the smell, only downfall for me is that i wont be able to do the head gaskets now, the wife told me last night she has to go to wisconsin next tues and will need to take the car there, i dont have the cash or the time to do them that quick so unfortunately its goin back in the car as is, i hate to do it but i dont have a choice at this point. i am replacing the ac cover in the engine bay since it is shot and will service the evap core when i am in there then i am doingplugs and wires and my infamous idle control motor once the engine is back in the car so for now i have to make a new p s line and replace the front o2 sensor then this weekend it goes back in

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.