Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Head gaskets and Time-Serts

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  juggastoned 
#1 ·
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

On my second Northstar head gasket job. It's going a lot easier this time around; I have all the tools and the know how.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a good (as in cheap) place to get the 11x1.5MM Time-Serts? Every place I've found ran about $100 for all 20.

Also, I used Victor Reinz gaskets on the last one and they seemed to be exceptional gaskets. I only did this because I've heard Fel-Pro is crap...maybe that was just whispers in the wind, I don't know. RockAuto carries both brands and the head bolts.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, only Time-Sert's inserts should be used with the Time-Sert kit. I know that. I was speaking in terms of maybe someone had some they wanted to sell, knew of the best website to buy them from, whatever.

My biggest question is: are Fel-Pro gaskets really of bad quality??

I have a third question now, too. I ran my codes before butchering the car...

B0159 Was missing the sensor attached to hood-latch assembly. Replaced it.

B0189 Solar load sensor #2 circuit range - not sure what this one means. Know it has to do with the lights, and possibly the domed sensor on the dash pad??

B0429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance - Probably ignore this for now until I have the car back together and check to see if the temperature coming into the rear is any different than the front.

B2646 Ambient light sensor circuit range - No clue what this one's about.

RIM< C0660 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit Malfunction - I replaced the air pump because I had another one. No idea if that's what it was, or if the one I replaced it with was even good. The one I replaced it with only had 90k, though.

SDM< B0026 - Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop Single Stage Open - Air bag crap...I know that much. Maybe just a loose wire? Also heard of wires getting jerked around in the steering column on these?

TTM< B2860 - Telescope Position Sensor Range - It's a DHS, and has the electronic adjustment for the tilt-wheel. It goes so far forward it makes a clanking noise. I don't know how to fix this, though.

One other issue I have is that the whole dog-house (bumper cover, fenders, hood, grill and all) have been replaced with a darker red color and the sensor that involved the HUD that's in the grill is missing. So the HUD doesn't work because of this. I believe my car's color is "Medium Red". I don't know where to find the paint code, or where to buy the paint, but I definitely will be getting it sprayed to match the car. Any ideas there would help.

Once all of this is done this car will be off-the-lot condition with 120k.

Any input, constructive criticism, or guidance would be very greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
B 0189 - solar load sensor - one of the HVAC control inputs. "Sun heat sensor". One or two reddish domes on the dash top.

B 2646 - ambient light sensor - little greenish disc down in the dash vent next to the left sun load sensor - ambient sensor sets the "Headlamps suggested" message and controls Twilight Sentinel headlamp operation. They tend to get pushed and fall down into the dash area. No fun to replace.

Paint code on the sticker under the spare tire cover. www.paintscratch.com

#5 ·
B0429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance is very common on these cars and I have been told that it does not take much to set the DTC. Unless you have passengers in the back seat a lot and the control is way off, I wouldn't worry about it.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
You two are more help than I think you may know. I've lurked around on this forum and the other caddy forum for a good while now figuring stuff out and Googling things when I took on my first head gasket job. It's been a learning experience. And I've loved almost every minute of it, so I decided to start posting and hopefully that'll get me where I'm going quicker and enable me to be able to help others in the near future.

One last thing I had forgotten to add earlier...This DHS has the HUD night vision option. Which makes it very cool. But...the catch is...the dog house was replaced with one without it so the camera deal in the grill is gone. I don't know how in the world I would find this without buying it new (which I'm assuming is pricey), I hardly ever see DHS's at the junkyards let alone ones with the option. I don't know what it's called, or how to even search online for it. But it sure would be cool if it worked.

Thanks guys.

#13 ·
That's odd; I checked Fastenal. They told me they didn't have them. But that's about what they cost from MechanicsToolsAndBits is 3.30 - some/each. I already had 2, got 18 of them + the four dowels for 86 - some dollars with free overnight shipping..not bad. The dowels were about $5/each.

Oh...and I got all the necessary gaskets; Victor Head gaskets, Fel-Pro bolts, Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gaskets, two Fel-Pro upper water pump gaskets, Fel-Pro camshaft seal all shipped for $157.

So...provided you already have the time sert tool...a head gasket job only costs $247 lol.

#16 ·
Yea, they are jank-looking. So are the V-R ones but I used em on last Deville with no issues..probably a good way to save $12 though. The camshaft seal isn't necessary, either...except mine was bent.

Should, keyword should, be completely done and running by not this but next weekend. Ill post a pic of the multi colored beast when its sitting on pavement LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.