Just ordered used engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Just ordered used engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just bought a 99 Y code northstar with 29K miles. It should arrive early next week for transplant into ...
    MightyBright1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just ordered used engine

I just bought a 99 Y code northstar with 29K miles. It should arrive early next week for transplant into my 98 seville SLS. Should I make any improvements to the engine before installing (timeserts, sensors, gaskets, etc)? I bought this engine because of bad gaskets on the original motor. What should I do with the old one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Just ordered used engine

Why didn't you timesert the old one? Seems like it would've been cheaper. That said, timesert and sell the old one.

I did'nt do anything to the old one because of the costs and that it was reported there was a lower end knock from a dealer. I brought it to another shop and he pulled a bearing out and I said forget about it...

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

With a bad rod bearing the old engine isn't worth much but you might see if someone on th eforums wants it.

Regarding the new engine, I would probably timesert it. It's a lot of work to install and you don't know how good the head gaskets are on this engine. It's a fairly easy job while the engine is out.

cart69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96STS engine only!! only thing left from my 96 after divorce

i may be interested in the old motor for something new to play with!!! although its quite a drive for me to come get it, let me know what you decide to do with it, i have wanted one of these motors to tinker with for a long time, just been waiting for a junk one to show up!!!

I am going to bring it to the house. I don't know what I will do with it yet. I am not sure it is junk though. Can probably be fixed.

cart69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96STS engine only!! only thing left from my 96 after divorce

well just save my name somewhere and if you decide to get rid of it let me know, but i am only interested if its messed up, i dont want a fixed or rebuilt one because i plan to tear it all apart, just keep me in mind

I understand.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.