Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I bought my Lac once it started, picked it up 6months later. Lost my job in the new year of ...
    93 L-Dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine

I bought my Lac once it started, picked it up 6months later. Lost my job in the new year of 12. Bought a battery and it wouldn't start again.
    I need a engine. Vin 9 touring coupe 93,
    I'm in Austin Tx, I found a 99 STS with the same Vin, what would I need to do in order to make that Engine work in my car? What years can I get this engine from then?

Austin does not know much about this car but when I say Cadillac,it's No were not working on that car. I'm org from MI,
    So I know about these cars and the prev owners didn't take care of the engine.
    Head gasket problem and they drove it with Water in it. Found out once I drained the fluids out of it.

200 for the engine if that 99 Seville STS will work.
    Please Help me out, I'm tired of calling my old state for help!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Wrong forum.

There's a "sticky" thread in the Northstar forum on interchangeability.

Any engine you swap in might have the same problem as the one you're taking out. On top of that, '99 is the most prone to HG issues, according to an unscientific poll on this site.

Just repair the engine that's in the car now, it will outlast the rest of the car.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Help Please

1993 was OBD1, 1999 was OBD-II (data and diagnostics, sensors) and 1993 was ECM controlled, 1999 is PCM controlled - different sensors and connectors. ......... and the engines are mechanically different also.

As posted, read the engine interchangeability thread in Engines - Northstar Performance

Moved to Engines, Northstar

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine

Quote Originally Posted by 93 L-Dawg View Post
    I bought my Lac once it started, picked it up 6months later. Lost my job in the new year of 12. Bought a battery and it wouldn't start again.
    I need a engine. Vin 9 touring coupe 93,
    I'm in Austin Tx, I found a 99 STS with the same Vin, what would I need to do in order to make that Engine work in my car? What years can I get this engine from then?

Austin does not know much about this car but when I say Cadillac,it's No were not working on that car. I'm org from MI,
    So I know about these cars and the prev owners didn't take care of the engine.
    Head gasket problem and they drove it with Water in it. Found out once I drained the fluids out of it.

200 for the engine if that 99 Seville STS will work.
    Please Help me out, I'm tired of calling my old state for help!!!!

Can you repeat this but in english please?

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm

Can you repeat this but in english please?
    It was in English,

I have a 93 Cadillac Eldorado with a NorthStar engine in it. 4.6 Vin 9, it locked up.

I don't have the right Job in order to rebuild my motor at this time.

I've found a few and one was out of a NorthStar 99 Seville STS.

I need to know what year can I pull the NorthStar engine out of.

I live in Austin,TX

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...d.php?t=199946

Also Tim Carroll with Carroll custom cadillac just relocated to Texas he eats Northstars for lunch and can be of assisance. Hes located in fort worth area

Carrollcustomcadillac.com

Hi guys, I have a 93 Eldorado that I bought years ago. 600 with a tranny issue. It's the engine that is messed up. Basic it locked up while siting.

Got a job and towed in to Austin,TX.
    Pulled all the fluids out of the car and dropped the oil and water.
    Horror Head Gasket Problem and their was No antifreeze in it only Water.

I don't make that kind of money to rebuild mines
    right now.

What engine years can I pull this North Star out of???

The junk yard wants 200 with a 90 day warranty.

I've found a few but their in a 96 to a 99 Seville STS.

I'm pulling my old engine out of my car on my days off.

I'm org from MI, they won't ship it down to Austin for me. So I'm stuck in Austin striking out unless I can get a ride down to Houston or up to Dallas for it.

I need some help on what years can I use and what would I haft to do in order to make the 97 work in my 93 L-Dawg???
    Ty
    Cameron
    Austin,Tx

Ty ill look him up, I'm try to move back up that way, lol

Interchange information is on page 1 and 2 of the Interchange thread. Have you read through it?

You wouldn't have to rebuild anything, just buy an insert or stud kit, ~$500. Do you really want to chance having to tear it apart again?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

MC and 93 L-Dawg - I moved these 2 essentially identical posts ^^ from Northstar Interchange to the OP's original thread - duplicates are only gong to cause confusion.

L-Dawg, let this original thread and questions do the work - there is already a LOT of info in here as-is.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You DO NOT want a '99 engine, doable or not (unless it has already had the thread repair done).

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    MC and 93 L-Dawg - I moved these 2 essentially identical posts ^^ from Northstar Interchange to the OP's original thread - duplicates are only gong to cause confusion.
    I thought I was having déjà vu.

No, I've been tearing down more bolts and taking off more wires. Goodness, well I must say and ask, is not the starter held by only two bolts? Then it's comes out right????? It did not come out at all.

----------

Hey MC, if I read right, 95 North Star won't work in my 93? I'm going to see if my home boy can see if he can rebuild it.

A '95 will work, but yo're going to have to swap the intake.....and heads. Which means you'll have to insert or stud the block anyway.....which is all hour existing engine needs to begin with (unless there's some other problem you haven't mentioned). You'll be in the same situation for '96+ engines, and they'll require even more work to make them compatible.

The only years that are a direct swap are '93 and '94, and again, any engine you install could have the same (or more) problem/s as yours. And as posted, your engine doesn't need a rebuild, it just needs to be inserted or studded, and if it leaks oil, a gasket kit.

It would cost the same or slightly more to do a thread repair on your existing engine, as it would to replace it (depending on the deal you get on the used engine, and weather or not it needs a reseal (gasket kit).

To be perfectly honest: You're doing/getting help for the labor anyway. If you can't afford an insert/stud kit and a gasket set, you can't afford to maintain the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    A '95 will work, but yo're going to have to swap the intake.....and heads. Which means you'll have to insert or stud the block anyway.....which is all hour existing engine needs to begin with (unless there's some other problem you haven't mentioned). You'll be in the same situation for '96+ engines, and they'll require even more work to make them compatible.

The only years that are a direct swap are '93 and '94, and again, any engine you install could have the same (or more) problem/s as yours. And as posted, your engine doesn't need a rebuild, it just needs to be inserted or studded, and if it leaks oil, a gasket kit.

It would cost the same or slightly more to do a thread repair on your existing engine, as it would to replace it (depending on the deal you get on the used engine, and weather or not it needs a reseal (gasket kit).

To be perfectly honest: You're doing/getting help for the labor anyway. If you can't afford an insert/stud kit and a gasket set, you can't afford to maintain the car.
    Basic I sent it to the Shop once it wouldn't turn over back in may of this year. Turns out that the motor had locked up. Prior to that I started it up before I paid 600 for the car. Lost my job so it set 6 months before I could tow it.

Junk yard will sell me one for 200 with a 90 day warranty. I haft to pull it out if the cars.

Every one that I checked out were ok and the heads were fine on them and stuff.
    I didn't want to pull them out not knowing if they would just drop right into my caddy.

Austin does not deal much with our cars like where I'm org from which is Detroit.
    I found one shop that would look at it.

I'm see if my home boy can rebuild mines then. Cause I'm about tired of looking at these junk yards and not finding my motor for it.

Some one told me that I could just put the corvette engine in it????

How true is this?
    Ty mc,
    Starter did I take out the bolts? Are their any more left beside the two that I took out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.