Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; That motor was tortured before it's demise. If pure water came outer of the radiator, someone was driving that thing ...
    98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine

That motor was tortured before it's demise.

If pure water came outer of the radiator, someone was driving that thing just trying to get by without purchasing antifreeze.

Chocolate milk is oil and water mixing.

The worst part is that it doesn't spin over freely turned by hand. That could be an issue with timing chains, pistons hitting valves that are opening, bent connecting rod, the list goes on.

If and when you get it out, you will have to tear the motor down to find out WHY it doesn't spin freely. Until then it's a guess.

I know you love that car and I don't know what shape it's in, but in my opinion even though they are getting harder to find, pick up another Eldorado that you KNOW that runs and shifts.

Take the two cars and make one perfectly good running car if time and space permits.

93 L-Dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v
    That motor was tortured before it's demise.

If pure water came outer of the radiator, someone was driving that thing just trying to get by without purchasing antifreeze.

Chocolate milk is oil and water mixing.

The worst part is that it doesn't spin over freely turned by hand. That could be an issue with timing chains, pistons hitting valves that are opening, bent connecting rod, the list goes on.

If and when you get it out, you will have to tear the motor down to find out WHY it doesn't spin freely. Until then it's a guess.

I know you love that car and I don't know what shape it's in, but in my opinion even though they are getting harder to find, pick up another Eldorado that you KNOW that runs and shifts.

Take the two cars and make one perfectly good running car if time and space permits.

I know right I'm thinking about that as I found out Ty to the GM repair manual. It's Michigan history it was made in my State and shipped to Texas for sale

Guy that sells said to take no less then what I paid for it at 600, 1,000 no lower then that. It's pretty much clean inside and out.

I'm debating it for sure I hate to dump a project and not finish it.

I know it's a bit of a tough decision, but you also have to look at what is possibly going to be the best outcome.

Your car is a 93. You're already having issues in your area finding a decent donor motor if needed for replacement. Not that one won't come along eventually, but when.

Unfortunately, you motor has "undisclosed" other issues.

Not that it can't be fixed, in actuality everything can be fixed but is it going to be "cost" effective in the long run? Only you can decide that. It's your car and you know the condition that it's in and how much is it worth to you.

93's are getting real scarce. Especially in good condition interior wise and body wise. Someone is looking for a car like yours with a motor issue that needs the transmission or interior and will pay the 6-1000 for the car just for the parts they can't acquire.

It's your call, but either way good luck.

Just think everything over before making the final decision....

I know it's a bit of a tough decision, but you also have to look at what is possibly going to be the best outcome.

Your car is a 93. You're already having issues in your area finding a decent donor motor if needed for replacement. Not that one won't come along eventually, but when.

Unfortunately, you motor has "undisclosed" other issues.

Not that it can't be fixed, in actuality everything can be fixed but is it going to be "cost" effective in the long run? Only you can decide that. It's your car and you know the condition that it's in and how much is it worth to you.

93's are getting real scarce. Especially in good condition interior wise and body wise. Someone is looking for a car like yours with a motor issue that needs the transmission or interior and will pay the 6-1000 for the car just for the parts they can't acquire.

It's your call, but either way good luck.

Just think everything over before making the final decision....

I was on EBay last night and I found the motor for it. Granted its 750 to ship here, o well.

Then I ran across a 97 one with a head gasket problem. Starts white smoke coming out and the coolant stays low when you add to it.

I have all the head gaskets and head bolts here,

Do you Think I should buy the 97 and just pull the motor out and rebuild the heads sense I have the stuff for it? Body is clean on it like mines is anyways.

I say 97 will be easier to source parts versus the 93.

Sell the 93, it's a hard pill to swallow, but make sure the 97 is in excellent shape interior and exterior wise.

Nothing is going to be perfect, but no major issues. Missing door trim panels, torn seats, etc.

If it does need something, let it be a commonly sourced part per se' even though these cars are getting scarce.

Pull the 97 motor via the top, as long as the transmission shifts.

Repair the bolt holes with the studs.

Reassemble, enjoy.......

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 99 Deville, 04 GXP, 06 DTS, 05 SRX, 2010 Sierra SLT

93 L-Dawg -

Jake here @ Northstar Performance

You need a 93/94 Engine. Those are the only two years that will fit without going through the work of changing cylinder heads, relocating or changing the knock sensor. You can build one with a newer bottom end, which has some advantages. But it must have 93/94 heads.

I can help you out if you need or I can refer you to a good competent shop.

Tony Huerta @ North Texas Performance (he knows his stuff) in Dallas, 214-724-3246. This guy is straight shooter, you will get treated fairly and the work will get done right. I've visited him and his shop not that long ago.

Tony also uses my stud kit on all Northstars he works on.

If you need advice, text me at 914-570-1741 or email info@northstarperformance.com

Thanks and best of luck 93 L-Dawg!

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

I say 97 will be easier to source parts versus the 93.

Sell the 93, it's a hard pill to swallow, but make sure the 97 is in excellent shape interior and exterior wise.

Nothing is going to be perfect, but no major issues. Missing door trim panels, torn seats, etc.

If it does need something, let it be a commonly sourced part per se' even though these cars are getting scarce.

Pull the 97 motor via the top, as long as the transmission shifts.

Repair the bolt holes with the studs.

Reassemble, enjoy.......
    Man that tranny on the 97 does not reverse!!!!
    Lmao tranny needs to be rebuilt!!!! I say no deal!!! Found a 94 motor for 500 plus 250 shipping, think ill do that. My body and interior is clean,
    I'd rather paint mines then to strip one that has good paint job!!!

That's why I stated, make sure the car shifts in all gears.

It's bad enough you have to do head gaskets, but to add a bad transmission on top of it is insult to injury

That's why I stated, make sure the car shifts in all gears.

It's bad enough you have to do head gaskets, but to add a bad transmission on top of it is insult to injury
    Yup and my girl said the same thing, lmao, dude was like can you use it 4parts??? Lmaooo!!! Sure the tires that's it!!! My tranny is good, lmaooo!!!

Pays to know our stuff!!! I'm buy a motor and just do the heads when I get it 500 plus 250 to ship, the one I found in Tx want 850 plus the shipping lol!!! No good deal!!! It's coming out of the North!!! My kinda of area!!! Rusted body parts and Good engines!!!

I've got to get it ready cause I'm move back to the northwest!!!

Follow my heart and my girl is wait on me to come back to her that's a good women and I'm dumb for leavening. Older and wiser

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe
    93 L-Dawg -

Jake here @ Northstar Performance

You need a 93/94 Engine. Those are the only two years that will fit without going through the work of changing cylinder heads, relocating or changing the knock sensor. You can build one with a newer bottom end, which has some advantages. But it must have 93/94 heads.

I can help you out if you need or I can refer you to a good competent shop.

Tony Huerta @ North Texas Performance (he knows his stuff) in Dallas, 214-724-3246. This guy is straight shooter, you will get treated fairly and the work will get done right. I've visited him and his shop not that long ago.

Tony also uses my stud kit on all Northstars he works on.

If you need advice, text me at 914-570-1741 or email info@northstarperformance.com

Thanks and best of luck 93 L-Dawg!
    I did text you jake, but I guess your busy, if I get this right I could take a 95 north star and swap the heads off a 94 and it would work? I seen em go for 100. 200 for the heads, what would I do with the 95 heads once I swapped em? Could I sell em? 810-254-0124 is where you can reach me at Cameron
    Ty jake

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

I will make sure Jake calls you at around 12:30 central time thanks Cameron

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Evrett, Sales Executive of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

SAME DAY Shipping!!

These rebuild kits are designed to be a one-stop solution to your engine rebuilding needs. We believe these engine re-ring kits are the absolute BEST mix of price and quality available for stock and performance builds in the market today. We have personally used these rebuild kits in many rebuilds with outstanding results and durability. Every part in this kit is manufactured only by the HIGHEST quality manufacturing companys, with ISO, QS & TS quality systems in place. Part Manufacturers include Silvolite, King Bearings, Hastings, Clevite Company, Melling, ITM, Cloyes, Sealed Power, TopLine, and Federal Mogul. This guarantees maximum quality to the consumer, and to meet or exceed O.E.M. specifications!

THIS REBUILD KIT WILL INCLUDE:
    FULL GASKET SET

(8)FLAT-TOP PISTONS
    PREMIUM PISTON RINGS
    CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS
    CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS
    COMPLETE TIMING SET
    OIL PUMP
    REAR MAIN SEAL & VALVE STEM SEALS

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 93 L-Dawg
    SAME DAY Shipping!!

These rebuild kits are designed to be a one-stop solution to your engine rebuilding needs. We believe these engine re-ring kits are the absolute BEST mix of price and quality available for stock and performance builds in the market today. We have personally used these rebuild kits in many rebuilds with outstanding results and durability. Every part in this kit is manufactured only by the HIGHEST quality manufacturing companys, with ISO, QS & TS quality systems in place. Part Manufacturers include Silvolite, King Bearings, Hastings, Clevite Company, Melling, ITM, Cloyes, Sealed Power, TopLine, and Federal Mogul. This guarantees maximum quality to the consumer, and to meet or exceed O.E.M. specifications!

THIS REBUILD KIT WILL INCLUDE:
    FULL GASKET SET

(8)FLAT-TOP PISTONS
    PREMIUM PISTON RINGS
    CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS
    CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS
    COMPLETE TIMING SET
    OIL PUMP
    REAR MAIN SEAL & VALVE STEM SEALS
    I found this on e-bay tonight and I wanted to know if this could solve my issue for my motor?

Consider that mines is locked up, would this kit work in rebuilding it?

I know once I do it, my engine would be brand new,plus I know what I've put into it pre say.

I found a engine for 509 plus 250 to ship into Austin plus the shop said it would cost around 1,000 to check that motor out.

It sounds to me that I should just invest in this kit and rebuild mines with it this kit then??

I have my motor and I don't need to ship no place but to just pull the engine out of the car then.

Note I'm not doing it!!!

Any help on If I should just buy this kit? Or the motor and just rebuild the heads on the junk yard motor? Ty guys

Just wanted you guys to know that I ditched the Lac and Austin,TX, Moved back to Seattle,WA and i just bought a 93 seville STS black with the same tan leather in it. Nothing is wrong with it. Ty guys for all your help.
    98eldo32v likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.