Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by stoveguyy Most folks get 2-3 small wheeled dollys to drop subframe on. Than it can be wheeled ...
    93 L-Dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy
    Most folks get 2-3 small wheeled dollys to drop subframe on. Than it can be wheeled out from under car. U gotta dig up these Dolly's. Or make them.
    Sell a wheel dolly 4 wheels on it. I'm go back to the store and look at it.

Different issue, I have it jacked up and it's not high enough to clear the engine once I drop it unto the dolly. What can I do or use in order to raise my car up more???? I don't want to pay a shop to drop the motor and ALL I have is the bolts and bam it drops out.

I'm ready to dig in to my block and see how bad the heads are and stuff.

I found a Guy here in Austin that would do my Stud kit for 300 once I'm able to order it.

His Caddy is still running fine to this day.

I've been looking around in this Head Gasket forum trying to figure out which way should I go with this car. I just learned that I could do a time insets??? Instead of doing the stud kit?

Can any one Mc somebody help me out. This is going to be my first Head Gasket job. I know it's time consuming but some help would be good for me right now, I would ask my dad for help but he's dead . I know that I haft to buy a Head Gasket kit for it and both orileys and Auto zone and Napa haft to order the kit.

Should I do a Block test on my engine before I do anything to it?? I don't know the history of this car sense it was suppose to have a tranny Issue and it does not have one.
    Ty guys for the help

What does your shop do to OHC heads? Pull cams? Inspect cam follower surfaces for wear? Measure cam lobes for wear? Remove valve springs to check guide wear and measure valve stems for wear?
    I know that you said a Dolly. Been siting here looking at my car and I feel as if its prob better that I take the engine out from the Top? I still need to remove the steering and I don't know how to locate it so I won't mess it up like other people have. Feed back please?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Head gaskets and Time-Serts

You could also use Norm's NS300L inserts. http://huhnsolutions.com/

Do the block test if you are not sure the HG is the problem.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Help - 1993 Eldorado needs new engine

Removing the engine from the top is generally considered more difficult by those who have done it.

If you need to lift the car higher to get the drivetrain out, rent an engine puller and lift it by the radiator support. There is a picture of that operation somewhere in the archives.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Uh, jacked up? How u doing this? U should use a cherry picker. U lower the subframe onto the Dolly's. Than u lift the car with the cherry picker. U are not lifting motor/trans/subframe. But once u start this u see the legs of the cherry picker are now under the subframe. So there is an interference issue. I ran into this when I used cherry picker to hold motor so I could drop subframe to pull trans. Picker legs were in the way of jacks I used to lower subframe. I should have got a motor support bracket. Only $60 at harbor. But u need to lift car. Different issue.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 93 L-Dawg View Post
    2nd my valve cover won't come off, do I need to take the Pulley off of it?
    The water pump drive pulley is TIGHTLY pressed onto the left bank intake cam extension. You need special puller/installer to work with it.

You desperately need a GM service manual. There's just too much in the way of special procedures to do this job blind.

Your two question/answer posts on heads/gaskets/studs from another thread have been moved to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409

The water pump drive pulley is TIGHTLY pressed onto the left bank intake cam extension. You need special puller/installer to work with it.

You desperately need a GM service manual. There's just too much in the way of special procedures to do this job blind.

Your two question/answer posts on heads/gaskets/studs from another thread have been moved to this one.
    Ty sub, I thought I was crazy or something,
    Well I have chiltions book. So far I've gotten good with it.
    I just noticed with the stands under it, it's not high enough to drop it out of the car.

I've pretty much have taken every thing off of it.

Heads are concerned, I found water in the oil and that's a head Gasket job.

I herd that I could do the time insets instead.
    I wanna do it right the first time.

I feel like a sucker at times, I started it up even tho it barley started. I was ok with that.

6 months later it wouldn't turn over at all.
    Here I am now just trying to get it back to normal.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Before someone else says it --- The Chilton is far, far too generic for your car., Find a real GM/Helm service manual. eBay or www.helminc.com. Megabucks now, or consider subscribing the car to www.alldatadiy.com. A multiple year subscription is less than a tank of gas and you get a LOT more than just the GM manuals.

Most engine drops out the bottom see the entire front of the car lifted with a 3 ton engine cherrypicker, using the radiator crossbrace. Drop the entire cradle/powertrain onto a pallet jack and roll it out. Lower the front onto jackstands for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    Before someone else says it --- The Chilton is far, far too generic for your car., Find a real GM/Helm service manual. eBay or www.helminc.com. Megabucks now, or consider subscribing the car to www.alldatadiy.com. A multiple year subscription is less than a tank of gas and you get a LOT more than just the GM manuals.

Most engine drops out the bottom see the entire front of the car lifted with a 3 ton engine cherrypicker, using the radiator crossbrace. Drop the entire cradle/powertrain onto a pallet jack and roll it out. Lower the front onto jackstands for the duration.
    Lmao Sub,Ty man, where can I get a pallet jack at? I was gonna buy a dolly and I'm try to rent a cherry picker, some one else said to use a tranny jack??? I'm gonna look it up.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    U can jack up car, lower subframe and than pull trans. That works for driveway trans job. But not so much for motor drop. Not sure of your motor lowering plan

U can jack up car, lower subframe and than pull trans. That works for driveway trans job. But not so much for motor drop. Not sure of your motor lowering plan

Drop the hole power assem from the bottom. I've found a cherry picker on yesterday. Success Guys!!! I went to harbor fright and they have those wheel dollies, Going to drop the power assem unto that.

Am I missing something else????

mjbrome is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville Base
    I did mine in my driveway as well. It sucked but got it done. To get the car up I maxed out the jack, set 6 ton jackstands under it (weights not an issue, just taller) and put the jack on top of a block and did it again. If you do this be extremely careful as you jack it up because the jack won't move with the car as it goes up. Set it back on the stands if the block starts to tip or anything and reposition. When lowereing the cradle I placed my motorcycle jack on the rear end as a caster and my 3 ton jack on the front. When I was installing I put the wheels back so I can push on them. Wish I would have tried this for removal as well. Sometimes you have to work with what you got and think like a farmer!

Up Date, I've gotten the GM repair manual for my car. I can't seem to find the page were it talks about removing the power assembly and the cradle???

Transmission any one know if the 93 L-Dawg has the t80 tranny or is it the t60e? Ty guys.

Happy my car was made in my MI plant yay I have a piece of MI History!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.