98 STS Motor mount busted
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 98 STS Motor mount busted in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; How common is it for a motor mount to break on these cars? Dealer says I have been getting on ...
    kewllover is offline Cadillac Owners Member

98 STS Motor mount busted

How common is it for a motor mount to break on these cars? Dealer says I have been getting on the gas too much and the motor is to powerful and will break the mount easily. That sounds really silly to me, weare talking heavy gauge steel here. With the motor flopping around in there like a fish what impact does that have on the rest of the drive train, like the transmission, or any other parts?

Thanks
    Chad

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 98 STS Motor mount busted

That dealer is full of it, can you really see that it is broken?

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I assume you're talking about the top front torque struts? I don't know if 7 years is long enough to rot the rubber... but what probably happened was the rubber insulation died, and you ended up slamming the engine into the mount any time you accelerated. I bet it made "tink/thud" noises too.

If it is the top ones, they're easy to replace yourself.

1fastSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

my 99 STS motor mount, was actually cracked. i took it out myself, got a new one for 19 dollars on e bay, he sent me the wrong motor mount and i figured thats why it was 19 dollars, so i e mailed him and he then sent me the correct one. and installed perfectly. i think a new one from the dealer is around 100- 125 bucks, i was happy i only spent 19, heh!!
    i then saw RSM website and was thinking of buying those stiffer motor mounts, i had them on my supercharged Buick Regal GS, i liked them. Just an idea.

kewllover is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I actually saw the broken one, I watched when he put the car in gear and gave it a tiny bit of gas with the brake on, the front of the motor lifted up about 6 or 8 inches. It looked like a fish flopping around, now with the new mount in the motor doesnt move at all.

Thanks
    Chad

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

With good mounts, don't worry about romping on it...they shouldn't break under normal wear and tear...they're built solid enough to handle the engine...

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

The later models made after they got rid of the dog-bones, are prones to bad mounts, if you romp on it alot. I know I do, and my front one is shot. Brake standing it, the front of the engine lifts up over the radiator. Even shifting gears, the engine rocks back and forth pretty badly. I'm probably going to get the set of four from RSM, since I have a feeling one of the side mounts might be gone too. Since I do drive it pretty hard, I'd like to have the heavy duty mounts, to prevent them from going again.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It only took three techs and 1/2 dozen visits to the Caddy dealer to find the front one in my car was broken. I guess the face full of oil from it that the last one got tipped him off.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by El Dobro
    It only took three techs and 1/2 dozen visits to the Caddy dealer to find the front one in my car was broken. I guess the face full of oil from it that the last one got tipped him off.
    Is it too late for you to take a picture of that failed front mount?

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The dealer changed it under warranty, so it's long gone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.