Help with 98 STS part.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Help with 98 STS part. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I started getting some check engine lights lately, so I looked under the hood and I noticed that on the ...
    kewllover is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help with 98 STS part.

I started getting some check engine lights lately, so I looked under the hood and I noticed that on the drivers side on the motor above the water pump there is a piece of black plastic several inches long and looks like it is a good 3 or 4 inches in diameter. It bolts right onto the intake and has hoses to the vacuum canister and the air filter. I am assuming that this is some kind of shroud for the air flow sensor, can anyone confirm this? Well anyway mine has cracked completely away from the motor and has about a 1/2 inch gap and I can see the polished metal of the intake. My question is does anyone have a part number for this replacement? If I replace this "shroud" do I need to also replace the air flow sensor? I found this part number at www.gmpartsdirect.com - 25171380. The category is Air Cleaner Intake Duct and the description is RESONATOR. Can anyone confirm this part number or point me towards a new one? Thanks in advance for your help. Does anyone recommend replacing anything else while I am replacing the shroud, resonator or whatever it happens to be called.

Thanks
    Chad

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help with 98 STS part.

I found a part number for the air flow sensor 25171380. Is this correct?

Thanks again
    Chad

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

I was reading your post, and I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which plastic piece you're talking about. If your reffering to the plastic resonator, attached to the intake hose, leading from the airbox to the MAF sensor, just remove it, and plug up the hole. If it's cracked, there's no sense in spending the extra money. It doesn't affect performance in any way, and is only designed to make the sound of air being sucked in a little quieter.

If it's the MAF sensor (mounted to the throttle body) that is cracked, it must be replaced. This is what determines the proper amount of fuel that is injected into the engine. Without it, thje engien will not run properly, and will throw codes.

If you decide not to replace the resonator (there's no point), go to the Home Depot, and pick up a 2" rubber PVC pipe cap. Cut it down, until it's roughly an inch or so high, and then suse it to plug up the hole in the intake hose. Make sure you get a metal clamp (preferably the screw type), and tighten it around the outside lip of the hole. This will plug it up with no leaks, and actually looks pretty damn good too. The main reason I did it to my car, was to make it easier to change the air filters. Now I just grab the hose and pull, instead of messing around with that stupid resonator. Good Luck

edit: Here's a link to the plug I used. It's the same, except it's 2" diameter, instead of 1 1/2" http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3116&pos=n06

I can get a picture this weekend if you want, to show you how I installed it.

Ok so the resonator is the large funky kidney shaped box connected to the intake hose with the 2 inch hole facing straight up? That isn't the pace i was talking about thatis fine. The piece that is broken is between the throttle cable and the engine itself which I assume holds the MAF sensor. If I replace the sensor does the housing also get replaced, or is that a different piece?

Thanks
    Chad

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

The MAF sensor is the black plastic tube with the wiring harness attached to it, that is bolted to the opening of the throttle body. The intake tube running from the airbox, is connected to the other side. If the Black tube, that houses the hot wire assembly inside is cracked, the entire thing must be replace. It all comes pre-assembled. It can be easily removed, by just unplugging the wiring harness, and removing the bolts that attach it to the throttle body. The new one just bolt back into place.

Here's a link to one site that will have it cheaper than the dealer http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...98&catalogid=1

I took a picture and here is the link. You can see the crack just up from my fingers about two inches or so. I think I found the root of the problem, the front motor mount is broken. So the MAF sensor part at www.gmpartsdirect.com part number: 88961010 is $102.00 plus a $60 core charge. New motor mount BTW, is $250 installed. New wateer pump is $189 installed. They wanted $300 for the MAF sensor, I think I can install that myself for $102.

This thing is nickle and diming me to death, anyone wanna buy a used 98 STS?

Thanks
    Chad

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yup, that is the MAF and it is trashed.

sevilliac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Re: Help with 98 STS part.

You guys are absolutely wonderful! From the picture furnished, I now know where my mass airflow sensor is! Is it the broken part or is it attached to the broken piece? How would I clean the mass air flow sensor and when should it be replaced. should I replace it when the car codes? Or every so many miles?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Replace the MAF sensor only if it needs to be replaced. It is not a mantainence item like an air filter. The sensor itself is in the broken piece pictured and comes as a unit. The entire tube with sensor installed must be replaced. It should never need cleaning. The sensor is just a wire that runs through the tube and is heated. It is cooled by intake air and the resistence varies with tempurature and is relayed back to the PCM to control fuel flow. I'm sure Bbob has a better explanaition if you do a search.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.