Can DIC messages be cleared for good??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Can DIC messages be cleared for good?? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have two messages appearing on the DIC, "service trans" and "service ride control" every time I start my car! ...
    Rick94STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can DIC messages be cleared for good??

I have two messages appearing on the DIC,

"service trans" and "service ride control" every time I start my car!

How can I get rid of them for good????? Tired of hitting the reset button!!

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Can DIC messages be cleared for good??

You need to fix the problem or the codes will keep coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville

I did have the trans serviced by my local mechanic but the message still appears, and as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with my suspension because the car rides great.

There must be a way to clear them totally! I know the Caddy dealer could do it but there a rip off.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

If you go into the diagnostic mode, you can clear the codes, which might shut off both messages. As soon as the codes are thrown again though, both messages will appear again. The car will only throw out codes, if something is wrong. Have you check the sensors for your front struts and rear shocks? Perhaps one or two of them are damaged, or maybe unplugged.

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc
    If you go into the diagnostic mode, you can clear the codes, which might shut off both messages. As soon as the codes are thrown again though, both messages will appear again. The car will only throw out codes, if something is wrong. Have you check the sensors for your front struts and rear shocks? Perhaps one or two of them are damaged, or maybe unplugged.

Thanks, I will check them out. Are they located directly on the struts?

The sensors are attached to the inside of the wheel wells, directly behing to strut or shock. They have a small metal rod, linking the swing arm on the sensor, to the lower control arm. If this rod isn't attached, it can cause a code to be thrown. Sometimes these sensors can fail too.

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc
    The sensors are attached to the inside of the wheel wells, directly behing to strut or shock. They have a small metal rod, linking the swing arm on the sensor, to the lower control arm. If this rod isn't attached, it can cause a code to be thrown. Sometimes these sensors can fail too.
    Thanks! I will take a look at them....... Is there a way to test the sensors?

I guess If you got a Digital Volt Meter, and back probed the leads on it, you could read the output voltage, depending on where the swing arm is positioned. I have no idea what the specific values should be for these sensors, or if they are the same for each year though. If it's anythign like a throttle position switch, the voltage may range from .5 to about 4.95 or so. This is just a guess though. If you could get a hold of a factory service manual, it would tell you the correct values for the sensor, so that you could compare your readings, and determine what may be wrong.

Eldoluvr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the service trans light on too. The service engine soon light comes on, on the dash and in the driver info. center it reads service trans. I just took it to the dealer and they charged me $100 to tell me that there was nothing wrong and they cleared the code. Soon as I drove it off the lot the light came back on. What a waste of $100 I feel cheated. The trans seems fine. no hard shifting.

How many miles do you have on the car, and what does the tranny fluid life monitor say? If it is not at 100%, it might indicate a problem, that might not be very obvious to you or the dealer. Have you checked the tranny fluid, to see what condition it's in? If it is foamy (like a starwberry milkshake-overheated), or slimy to the touch (possible contamination from water or coolant), that might be a tell tale sign of what could be wrong. I'm not entirely sure if the fluid life monitor would set the light, if it determined that the fluid was bad, but I think it would definitely reduce the life indicatd on the DIC. To check the tranny fluid life monitor, scroll through the DIC on the dash, it should be next to the oil life monitor. If it says anything less than 100%, I would take a look at the fluid, and bring it to reputable tranny shop. It sounds like the dealer just scanned for codes, and cleared out whatever they found. This would clear the codes that threw the light, but as soon as the tranny detects the problem (whatever it might be), it throws the light on again. Sometimes certai electrical (solenoid packs,...ect), or mechanical (clutch packs, accumulators,..ect), can start to fail and set codes, without being noticable while driving. As I said before, I would check the fluid (there's a little cap similar to the power steering cap on top where you can check the condition), and find a good tranny shop to look into it.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Another classic post.

Sorry, if he doesnt knwo that codes will show continually.

Please add some hopeful post to a brother in need.

Danbuc whats up partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few and Im out of control..............

Uhhh...Say what now? You lost me on that one...hehe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.