Northstar Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Replacement in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 2004 Seville with engine problems. It looks like I will be replacing the engine. I am in ...
    seville04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

Northstar Replacement

I have a 2004 Seville with engine problems. It looks like I will be replacing the engine. I am in Orlando Fl and looking for a place that rebuilds the Northstars. I found a place in Ohio, Cadillac Doctor, that will rebuild the engine but would like to find somewhere closer if possible. If anyone else has had this done please list where and cost.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Northstar Replacement

"Cost" can vary by several thousand dollars - depending on dealership, shop, experience, labor rate and method of repair - assuming that you have head gasket problems........... and, if you add in resealing the lower cylinder block halfcase and oil pan, then that drives labor (and parts) way up.

Maybe there would be some info in the sticky threads at the top of the Forum - and you might try a call to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac (Wilmington, NC) over there >>>> tomorrow morning. There was also a CF member, Mike Lawson, in Lexington KY that traveled to you (mileage costs).

There are several very active Seville-driving members in Florida - but I can only recommend looking at posts and locations in various repair threads for info hints.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    There are several very active Seville-driving members in Florida - but I can only recommend looking at posts and locations in various repair threads for info hints.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are you replacing or rebuilding and why?

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Seville04, send me a private message. I'm coming your way in about two weeks. Vacation time is upon me.

seville04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

Sorry Ranger, haven't been on the forum in a few weeks. The diagnosis was broken timing chain. If I'm going to fix that I might as well have the head gaskets replaced, I've got 150K on it now and if I'm going to put money into fixing it, I would hate to have the gaskets go a month or year down the road. My decision now is whether or not to put 4-5 grand into the car or give up on it and just find something else. It would help if I could find someone in the Orlando area that would rebuild the motor here, shipping the car up to Ohio or Illinois runs about $600-$700 and then I would have to fly up there and drive it back home.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Broken TC almost guarantees valve damage. But, I have read little on the block thread repair issue on an 04 motor. Do the courser block threads still need to be tapped when bolts are removed? I am not sure if your motor is worth rebuilding, moneywise. A bunch of used 04 motors online for 650 with 100k miles in your area. Maybe a swap out by a garage is a possible route? Unless u want to dump $4k in a 10yr old car?

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

the 04s that I have done the threads have looked good, but the head gaskets looked horrible. I still studded all just for peace of mind.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.