Major problems at 80K miles. Is this normal? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Major problems at 80K miles. Is this normal? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The dealer still has the car, but it is not torn apart. I don't think they really had to tear ...
    UntrainedMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Major problems at 80K miles. Is this normal?

The dealer still has the car, but it is not torn apart. I don't think they really had to tear anything apart to diagnose it. I'm not just waiting for an email from them to find out what kind of deal they can work me.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sounds like these guy are on a fishing expedition. Lets face it, many people just shrug their shoulders and write the check. I guess they figure it never hurts to throw the bait out and see how much you'll swallow.

$607 for plugs and wires, that's highway robbery, and they don't even use a gun. Plugs and wires (OEM wires) from rockauto or gmpartsdirect will cost about $150. That leaves $450 labor! Man I am in the wrong buisness. I wish I could find people willing to pay me 1/2 of that to do plugs and wires.

therodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981 Eldorado 1994 Seville STS

I searched TCC problems on this forum and it appears that a lot of people ignore the PO741 and continue to drive the car and for many miles. From reading it sounds like the torque converter is not engaging so you essentially lose overdrive, I'm sure it could be doing many other things but all in all, I read alot of posts where people have been driving their car for years and thousands of miles while ignoring that code.

I would think about getting the misfire repaired and see how it drives. Sounds like you had a trans leak that you were dealing with so if your misfire was fixed, you would be back to where you were prior to taking your car to the dealer. If it was me, I would either change the plugs and wires myself or get an estimate from a local repair facility and then take it there assuming you received a quote from $150-$200. Like I said, after the misfire is repaired, drive the car and then make your final decisions.

Then again, if money is not a concern, let the dealer get after it or, just buy a new car. Of course you know they won't give you anything for your car as it is which is kind of a shame, that's car business for you....

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Also read the tech archive regarding "transmission flush," and see if you really want it done to your car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...tml#transflush

Why are dealers now doing this? Why isn't GM doing something about it?

therodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981 Eldorado 1994 Seville STS

That reminds me, I once took my older Eldorado in for a transmission service, drain/flush and fill. Can't remember if it was a flush, sort of remember it just being drained. It was a transmission shop and apparantly that is all they did, transmissions. The fella backs my car out of the garage and gets out, say's there you go, have a good day. I drive away and it doesn't shift out of 1st gear. I go back and the fella gets real mad and say's, you brought the car to me like that and I told him the car never ever had a problem with the transmission.

I don't believe we resolved the problem righ then and there, I think he may have said maybe a peice of dirt got stuck in it and to drive it until the dirt passes. Obviously I was quite mad when I left, after about 1 mile driving in first gear around 15-20 miles an hour I got mad and stomped on it to see if I could force it into second gear. To my delight it shifted into second gear and was okay after that. That taught me a lesson though, every time I take my car in fro any kind of service, I tell them to drive the car so they know that everything is working properly so in the event they screw something up, they can't say I brought it to them like that!

95Concours is offline Expired eMail Address

The fuel induction service, as I was told by the dealer... They disconnect the fuel line and squirt pressurized fuel injector cleaner into and through the fuel injectors... I told them no and would just buy a bottle of STP fuel injection cleaner for $2.99....

Also, I'd ask them what your incentive would be in buying another GM car if thats what they're steering you towards if thier cars need $6000+ in work at only 80k miles... I hate dealerships, they are the current version of pirates.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Many potential causes for a misfire, but some of the obvious ones are real easy to check. Although it couldn't hurt to replace the plugs and wires, just check the coils first to see theyre not the problem. (its a 3 minute job)

Here's a summary thread of my work chasing down a P0300 (it has details on checking the coils):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=36384

I did a plug and wire change, heres a summary of the work included, tools needed and costs.....total cost for me was around 100 bucks using AC Delco OEM parts:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=7561

These are easy fixes and can save you almost $1000. (dealer fixed my coils for 350$ once, i did the same for $28) (dealer quote on plug and wire change was around 550-$600, I did the same for $100)

good luck

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by therodman
    I From reading it sounds like the torque converter is not engaging so you essentially lose overdrive,
    You didn't loose overdrive. You just lost the torque converter lock up so it now slips a little over 41 MPH when it used to be locked. You can continue to drive it without any problems. You will loose perhaps 1 MPG.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

That "list" as supplied buy the stealer almost made me loose my Famous Star.

Bunch of turkeys!!

mechanix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My jaw also fell open at the quote for $607 for "diagnostic, plugs and wires!" *lol* If you subtract the $200 for new plugs, wires and the labor involved, that leaves $407 for "diagnostic." Are they talking about the diagnostic time already spent? Or do they mean the time they intend to spend on further diagnosis during the course of these repairs? Either way, it's a rip off. The stories I read on here concerning the wild yarns that dealership service departments feed to their customers is always a source of entertainment. The Cadillac dealer here in my town is no different. They have screwed everyone in town at one time or another. If you are mechanically inclined, invest in some good tools and the factory service manual and become a supporting member of this forum. It is money well spent. You will not only save a fortune in repair costs but you will have the satisfaction of knowing the work was done correctly. That would be my advice. All of the items on your list are either unecessary, or a way over priced. The learned minds on this forum can help you find and fix any problem you have with your car. If you just don't want to be bothered with doing repairs yourself, then trade it in on a new car with an extended, bumper-to-bumper warranty.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It never ceases to amaze me how someone in business feels they have something to gain by abusing their customers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.