96 Sedan Deville-Where is the thermostat located
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 96 Sedan Deville-Where is the thermostat located in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm having a problem with my 96 Sedan Deville running very hot.So far i checked the radiator,fan,There is no white ...
    charlie66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

96 Sedan Deville-Where is the thermostat located

I'm having a problem with my 96 Sedan Deville running very hot.So far i checked the radiator,fan,There is no white smoke coming out of the tail pipes and no water in the oil.When i went to check the thermostat i couldn't find it. So instead of taking it all apart to find it i thought i would ask.Can any one tell me exactly where it's located?Dose any one have any other ideas of what it might be?It will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Charlie.
    P.S
    Sorry about that last post,I'm new at this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 96 Sedan Deville-Where is the thermostat located

Follow the lower radiator hose to the water pump inlet. The thermostat is on the inlet of the water pump cover. It is readily visible if you stand in the middle of the car, look over the radiator cradle into the engine compartment and look down at the water pump.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Did you check the tensioner to be sure the water pump belt isn't slipping?

No i never did check the tensioner but i will tomorrow thanks guys
    Charlie.

I took out the thermostat an ran it that way an in about five minutes it went right up to 255 degrees.It rises faster for some reasone when the car is in motion.At that temp(255) the radiator stayed very cool, I could hold my hand on it all day.Does anyone know what this means.What can i check next?
    Thanks
    Charlie.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

The system won't work correctly without the stat in place. You must have it in there for the system to flow and cool. Since it is out, put it in a pan of hot water and put the pan on the stove and watch the stat to see if it opens just before the water boils.....that is the sure way to test the stat...not removing it and starting the engine.

Find the 3/8 hose on the pressurized surge tank. That is the vapor vent line from the water pump. The water pump will not pump if it injests vapor and cannot purge it. Take the 3/8 hose off the surge tank when the system is cold. Coolant should pour from the nipple on the tank due to the level of the coolant in the tank. That insures that the nipple is not restricted for some reason. Start the engine. Coolant should pee from the hose in a steady stream toward the pressurized surge tank. That indicates that the vapor vent circuit is flowing. If not, find the restriction. Start at the upper radiator hose connection to the engine/water crossover. Just beside it you will find the other end of that 3/8 hose circuit. The nipple that it is on is a hollow bolt. Take the hose off the nipple/bolt and start the engine again. See if coolant pees from the bolt. If not, take the bolt out and remove the restriction.

It sounds like the water pump is not pumping for some reason. That would be due to a broken/missing water pump drive belt and/or a bad water pump belt tensioner.....or....the water pump has air in it and cannot purge it thru the vapor vent line due to a restriction. Otherwise, the sytem should flow fine and if the engine is at 255 then the rad should be smokin' hot.

It turns out i was wrong about the radiator being cold,I was feeling the one for the air-condition.Stupid me. It looks and smells like someone put pepper in the system.I flushed it with a hose through the top inlet of the radiator and out the bottom,And vice versa.It looks like alot was put in,It just kept coming out.I put back the thermostat after testing it,Now the car runs cooler but i'm still having problems with its temperature.I drove the car around for about twenty minutes,Its temperature went up an down from 205 to 215,Then i discided to take it out on the highway. As soon as i brought it up to 75 mph it rose up to 230, I was about two minutes from my house.By the time i got there it rose to 248.I think i might try flushing it some more,I think the drive on the highway moved some of the pepper into some critical areas Which resulted into another blockage,Hopefully. If you have any more advice please let me know.You've been a great help so far.
    Thank you.
    Charlie.

MtlSphere is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    ... Start at the upper radiator hose connection to the engine/water crossover. Just beside it you will find the other end of that 3/8 hose circuit. The nipple that it is on is a hollow bolt. Take the hose off the nipple/bolt and start the engine again. See if coolant pees from the bolt. If not, take the bolt out and remove the restriction...
    HOLLOW BOLT!!!

I removed the 3/8 hose and water came out no problem.I think it's a head gasket.Is it true that the motor has to come out to change the head gaskets?
    Thanks
    Charlie.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.