Remove the water pump pulley
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Remove the water pump pulley in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello I am look for the tool to remove the water pump pulley on a 1995 Cadillac Seville 4.6l DOHC ...
    vett97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Remove the water pump pulley

Hello

I am look for the tool to remove the water pump pulley on a 1995 Cadillac Seville 4.6l DOHC engine. I would like to buy, rent or borrow this tool.

Thank You

Paul
    email deanepaul@hotmail.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Remove the water pump pulley

Well, the pulley is part of the pump assembly, so you can't really remove just the pulley unless I'm misunderstanding something. If you're looking for the tool to remove the pump, you can probably borrow it at a local auto parts store such as AutoZone or Pep Boys. All of the parts stores in my area carry it as a borrowable item with a fully refundable deposit. Or, if you ask real nice, Ranger might tell you how to make one of your own like he did.
    Mike

vett97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello

The puller needed is a J-38825. I do not want to remove the water pump just the pulley so I can remove the valve/cam cover.

Thank You
    Paul

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

So what you really need is the tool to remove the cam pulley that drives the water pump, not the water pump pulley. Have you asked the local parts stores? They had the water pump tool near me, they may have the cam pulley tool as well.
    Mike

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

The tool that removes the water pump drive pulley from the inlet cam stub shaft is a simple power steering pulley removal tool. Most any auto parts store has the generic power steering pump pulley tool. It catches over the small lip on the end of the pulley to pull on the hub of the pulley. Make sure and use a correct pulley "puller" or long bolt or piece of threaded stock to pull the pulley back on. "Tapping" it on will destroy the hub and the bond between the hub and pulley material.

When you get the pulley off it will take a bit of maneuvering to get the cover off over the end of the camshaft. It will come off but you have to rock the cover to one side and cock it to get clearance as it slides off. Be patient....it will come off with plenty of clearance and no effort at all....just have to find the right position.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.