What would you do? (fun project)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, What would you do? (fun project) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    Enygma is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What would you do? (fun project)

Greetings all,
    I have been reading this forum for several weeks now. I have found it very informative and thought provoking. So, many thanks to all of you who have contributed.

Now for my question – it is basically “what would you do in this situation?” Without going into any of the reasons why, I’ll give you the bottom line. I am converting a 1953 Ford panel to front-wheel drive using the engine, tranny, suspension, steering, etc. out of a ’97 Deville. I knew I wanted to use the Northstar and now I want to start thinking about mods to enhance power & torque. However, I want to also maintain reliability and longevity.

So, what would you do? I plan on putting in the 80mm throttle body and mounting plate, along with low restriction air filtering system (probably K&N). Certainly, there will be low restriction exhaust system. I’m contemplating having a custom set of headers made but I’ve heard the stock manifolds are fairly free flowing.

I have tons of questions since I’m used to working on V8 small & big block carbureted engines. The sophistication of the Northstar is making me learn a lot of new technologies and concepts. Here are a few of my questions (in no particular order):

Since this vehicle will be treated as a ’53, I do not have to worry about emission laws, although I do not want to be a big polluter. Are there any reasons why I should not eliminate the cat-con? Will that screw up the computerized fuel system or could that be re-programmed?

I am going to be using an axle in the rear instead of the independent system (at least that is what the frame maker thinks I should do). Do any of you see a problem. Obviously, the fancy suspension computer won’t work.

Has anyone found/used a performance chip for the Northstar?

I am pretty sure I do not want the significant expense of porting & polishing the heads or a performance valve grind. So, I will probably not change anything internal.

OK all you Northstar gurus – what would you do if you were starting from scratch? I wish I could say money is no object but, unless I win the lottery, I will have to keep an eye on the budget. These are just a few of my questions and your suggestions will most likely cause more.

Thanks and enjoy,
    Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: What would you do? (fun project)

If you take out the cats, your gonna mess up the O2 sensors and possibly the EGR (if you have little backpressure)....

O2 sensors wouldnt be a big deal, im sure you could find someone that would be able to reprogram the computer...... And EGR really isnt that big of a deal either.......

If you have room, id go with one of those nifty chrfab superchargers...... And the northstar performace chip would be good too.....

Id say with the supercharger, chip, good intake,and dual exhaust, you'd be golden........

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    If I were in your shoes and had a little wiggle room in the budget, I would consider using either a single 4 barrel carb or go wild with chrfab's dual carb set-up. I would love the hear the Northstar with a carb and dual exhaust. Chrfab has lots of goodies for the Northstar, check out there site. It may be out of your reach for now, but the wait would be worth it.

http://www.chrfab.com/

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

DROOLING....

Northstar with dual carbs..... GOLDEN.... Plus you could eliminate the computer all together......

Would dual carbs give you more power than FI???

Id love to hear that....

My dream is (and hopefully will happen) will be to put a northstar in our 68 chris craft commander 28...... That, my friends, would be the definition of golden.......

Sorry about the offtopic......

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood
    My response is grab the 95 Northstar. It's OBD1, which there's plenty of chips and programmers for. 96 and above is OBD2, and much harder to hack. Bob McAuliffe at XMS motorsports in Ca also carries a few goodies for the car. If you have the money, one of the crate northstars from chrfab.com would also be a blast. Maybe the twin turbo one pushing 1200 ponies? It's only 35k last I recall.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It is pretty easy to defeat the downstream catalytic converter O2 sensor. I did with about $0.10 worth of radio shack resistors on a 97 Seville just to see if I could.

Enygma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks for everyone’s comments. For now, I think I am going to keep the Northstar close to stock. I’m just going to do some tweaking, such as the larger throttle body. Since the computer is tied into so many systems and seems to add to the Northstar’s reliability, I will be keeping as much of the computer functions as possible.

However, I do foresee a time when the dual quads or supercharger might sit atop the Northstar.

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming.
    Thanks,
    Scott

speedyguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enygma
    Thanks for everyone’s comments. For now, I think I am going to keep the Northstar close to stock. I’m just going to do some tweaking, such as the larger throttle body. Since the computer is tied into so many systems and seems to add to the Northstar’s reliability, I will be keeping as much of the computer functions as possible.

However, I do foresee a time when the dual quads or supercharger might sit atop the Northstar.

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming.
    Thanks,
    Scott

You can get a OBDII reprogram.. look it up on google . CHFAB has been advertising head and cam options for awhile now. XMS is also offering options in the head and cam area as well.

Recently there is a push to go forward with more computer and performance options. There are limited slips, performance transaxles, Heads, cam, headers and a CSC coming. I have talked with a few people and if you really want it a turbo can be set up in your caddy and yes it can be done with obd2.

For the fantasizer you can produce a healthy 600hp N* with a SC ,Turbo, or NX. Then with a performance transaxle with limited slip it will stick as well. Really the rest exists but most caddy owners do not have the "need" or they just don’t have the money.

Ty

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.