Changing the water pump "Belt?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N*Caddy
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Changing the water pump "Belt? in Cadillac Engine Discussion; What do I need to do to change the water pump "belt" on a 98 DeVille, Northstar? It looks to ...
    lonleyboy54 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille

Changing the water pump "Belt?

What do I need to do to change the water pump "belt" on a 98 DeVille, Northstar? It looks to me like I have to take the water pump, "and the housing off? Is there an easier way, "just" to change the "belt"?? Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS - 67,500 miles, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: Changing the water pump "Belt?

Look in Cadillac Tech Tips and in my albums - simple job. Click my username, open the profile, left column, 2 albums, 6 pages of Northstar stuff - yours is earlier, but the water pump drive is the same.

Remove the water pump belt drive shroud - two 10mm nuts, a 10mm bolt. Use either an adjustable wrench on the tensioner arm lug cast into the arm or a 1/4" drive socket tip in the square hole in the tensioner arm - lever the arm so as to remove tension, slip the belt off the pulley. It will be MUCH easier if you remove the tensioner assembly, too - the two long studs that held the first two nuts. If that tensioner pulley is not slippery-viscous-smooth and quiet, change it, too.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

No, just remove the tensioner. 10mm deep socket for the bolts after removing the belt guard. Use a 13 mm wrench on the tensioner pulley bolt to rotate it up to release tension and remove/reinstall the new belt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Yeha is a very simple solution, turn the belt on a side to get it out of the WP pulley, can't be more simple.
    94CaddyConcours likes this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.