water pump/thermostat crossover housing leaking again
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, water pump/thermostat crossover housing leaking again in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just had the water pump, and thermostat housing crossover assembly replaced in September, for about $450. It's now leaking ...
    danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Angry water pump/thermostat crossover housing leaking again

I just had the water pump, and thermostat housing crossover assembly replaced in September, for about $450. It's now leaking again, and I really don't want to have to pay another $450, for a repair that failed in 6 months. I called the dealer, and told them I'd bring the car in early Thursday morning, so they could look at it. If they try and make me pay the full $450 or whatever it's goign to cost to fix, I'm goign to leave, and find another dealer. I just can't understand why a repair like this, would fail in such a short time. Perhaps they were slacking off, and didn't torque down the bolts properly, or maybe they f**ked up the gaskets when they installed it. Anyway, this is really pissing me off. Does anyoen have any ideas, as to the best way to settle this problem? I honestly don't feel that I should have to pay for this repair, to fix the previous repair that got messed up. There no reason why it should have failed in such a short period of time. This isn't the first time this dealer has tried to screw me over either. The last time I had the waterpump hoising fixed, I also paid $1600 for new front struts. The ened up taking the old rubber grommets, that sit beneath the springs that were somewhat damaged, and stuck them back in there with duct tape. When I saw that, I was furious. They replace them for the cost of the parts only, so I didn't have to pay the $194 in labor it would have cost me. They were nice about that, but now the water pump housing failure? What next, are my new struts going to start leaking? Somebody please let me know what to say to them. I don't want to come across as being an a**hole, but I don't want to pay for there mistake either. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: water pump/thermostat crossover housing leaking again

Well, I called the other Cadillac dealer near me, to ask them, what kind of warranty Cadillac give for repairs, in particular the water pump/thermostat housing crossover, and I was told 12 months/12k miles. I guess this means I don't have to pay for it. I was a little worried there for a bit. I guess I'll have to see what goes down on Thursday morning when I bring it in, with the paperwork, from the last repair. I probably should have called the other dealer first before posting that angry thread above, but oh well. I'll see what happens.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

You really need to see what is leaking....

Did they replace the water pump and water pump cover gasket or the whole water pump cover or the gaskets from the water crossover casting to the block/heads....???

Is the system dosed with the sealer/supplement as prescribed? If so, it should take care of any seepage past a gasket or seal like that easily.

I didn't see if they added the coolant supliments, when they refilled the system after the first repair. When it was leaking the first time, they pulled the whole crossover off, and replaced the thermostat housing, and the front of the water pump housing as well, where the hoses connect. Pretty much all of the gaslets were leaking, so they all have a little bit of dried up, old dexcool, from before it was fixed. The one gasket, directly behind the thermostat housing, where the upper radiator hose (may be the lower one, I forget at the moment), is covered in fresh, wet dexcool. I got a cutip, and ran it across all of the gaskets, and the only one that is leaking, is the one described. It's a slow leak, and has not really caused me any problems yet, but I don't want it to get any worse. I made an appointment with them, to bring it in on Thursday. I just refilled the resevoir tank up to the cold fill line, with a half distilled water, and half dexcool, just to keep it at the proper level, for the time being. Thank you for the input Bbob. I will remember to make sure, that they use the coolant suppliments, like they're supposed too. As I said before, I didn't see them fill it up, so I'm not sure if they put it in or not. I'll ask on thrusday, just to make sure.

Well, I wasn't able to make my appointment this morning, but I called to reschedule for tomorrow. I also aked them if they use the coolant suppliment in the radiator hose, adn they said not usually (in other words NO). The service guy then asid, that it generally used on the "older" cars.

I always thought that the Collant Supllement, was for Aluminum engines in general. I was also under the impression, that it was more important, that it be used with DexCool, and not so much the Green Coolant. Bbob, if you see this, let me know what you think. Should I have them flush it again, and add the suppliment? Not sure what to do at this point.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc
    Well, I wasn't able to make my appointment this morning, but I called to reschedule for tomorrow. I also aked them if they use the coolant suppliment in the radiator hose, adn they said not usually (in other words NO). The service guy then asid, that it generally used on the "older" cars.

I always thought that the Collant Supllement, was for Aluminum engines in general. I was also under the impression, that it was more important, that it be used with DexCool, and not so much the Green Coolant. Bbob, if you see this, let me know what you think. Should I have them flush it again, and add the suppliment? Not sure what to do at this point.

Yes, it is recommended for all engines, aluminum or otherwise, green coolant or DexCool. It is in the service manual for a 98....ask them to just look. No need to flush or anything. Just pop the radiator hose off, put the supplement pellets into the hose and reinstall. Top off the coolant to make up for any spilled. Do NOT install the coolant supplement pellets into the surge tank...it MUST be installed into the radiator hose.

There is SO much on the coolant supplement in the archives if you search for it.

Thanks Bbob. I searched the forum last night, and came acroos apost regarding the sticker under the hood. It's saus right there, the part number for the suppliment. The leak seems to have stopped for the time being, but I'm still going to take it to the dealer tomorrow, and just let them know about where it was leaking, and about the suppliment. I saw in another post I ran across, that Bars Leak products are sold at Walmart. I'm going to try and got to Pepboys tomorrow and see if they have it, becuase I'm definitely not buying it from the dealer. If I find a place that sells it, which one do I buy. I've read that it takes a few different form, (i.e. tabs, pellets, liquid,..ect). I just want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks again Bbob.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Get the one in the clear plastic tube, about the size of a roll of quarters.
    Looks like this, if its the one I understood to be right and have been using...

Cool, thanks Spyder. I'll have to pick some of that up tomorrow.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc

If I find a place that sells it, which one do I buy. I've read that it takes a few different form, (i.e. tabs, pellets, liquid,..ect)....
    On this page http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html
    you want either G12BP or HDC.

I see G12BP at Wal-Mart all the time. Use two tubes.

Use two fo them? Ok. Uhh, let me just refresh my memory here. With the engine still cold, pull the upper or lower radiator hose off, and put the suplliment in there. Is there one hose you would recommend over the other? After I put them in, should I allow the car to warm up fully, before I shut it back off again? Thanks.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

I would and do use two tubes. Pop the top hose off the casting directly under the engine lift bracket. It's the easiest hose clamp to get to. You will lose less than a quart of coolant from a cold, unpressurized system.

Run the engine long enough to open the thermostat and get complete circulation. Check the coolant level after the engine cools and you should be good to go.

So, are you reffereing to the clamp, that attached the top hose to the thermostat housing, next to the waterpump belt tensioner? If so, that's pretty easy to get to. I just got back from the dealer, and I have an appointment on monday to bring it in. They are replacing the seals and everything under the 12k miles parts warranty. I was suprised to find, that none of the dealers aroudn here, or anywhere I've been for that matter, use the coolant suppliment, when they refill the system. I find this a bit disturbing, considering there's a sticker underneath the hood, that says, "Use GM coolant suppliment part#xxxxxx when refilling the system". Nobody seems to care, I wonder why. Oh well, I'll get the car back on monday, and stop over at walmart, and just put the stuff in myself. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.