High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. ...
    jam224 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems
    now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: High Mileage Northstar Thread: Who can beat me?

From '97 to 2000, I had experience with Northstars. I had many in our fleet that had in excess of 200K miles but, sadly the majority were NOT original. As I recall, roughly half of the Northstar engines in those cars went by 150K miles and by the time I left, the highest mileage we had on a Northstar was about 220K miles. The usual problem was of course, head gaskets.

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood
    97 Eldo, 85k on her right now. But, 360+ miles a week is adding up fast, so give me time. At 150k, I plan to rebuild with high performance parts. Pistons, rods, heads, and that supercharger from XMS BETTER be ready by then. Hehehe

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLvr400
    97 Eldo, 85k on her right now. But, 360+ miles a week is adding up fast, so give me time. At 150k, I plan to rebuild with high performance parts. Pistons, rods, heads, and that supercharger from XMS BETTER be ready by then. Hehehe
    My old truck not a caddy but it had 191,xxx and it was an 89 with a 350
    My old car had 284,xxx and it was a 87 Cutlass with the 305

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles

Quote Originally Posted by jam224
    I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems
    My 95 sls has 139k and is somewhere on the interstate in South Carolina with my wife and her girlfriends, on a shoppingtrip. It cruises EZ at 85 to 90 and can still light'm up when ever. Both my Caddy and i are still original. I have no complaints.
    jojostar25 likes this.

Loud 93 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    My 93 STS has 146,000 right now. It is all original. Not sure how hard it was driven to 130,000, But since then its been pounded by a heavy right foot.
    duegs21 and duegs21 like this.

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    my 95 ETC has just over 110,000 miles

RLLOVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

94 Eldo with 123k and a mild oil leak but it's still fun to feel and hear it wind up to to 6k and pass the ricers and mustangs...

jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    My old truck not a caddy but it had 191,xxx and it was an 89 with a 350
    My old car had 284,xxx and it was a 87 Cutlass with the 305
    Hi,
    I visited the XMS site. I did not see any supercharger parts for the Northstar. Are superchargers available for the Northstars?
    Jon
    96STS

Quote Originally Posted by jam224

Thanks,
    Jim

My entry:
    107400 miles original
    no known major problems
    I plan on driving mine over 200k miles. I have not had a car not make it past 200K in 15 years. My cars seem to thrive on hard use. I am optimistic that this STS will go the distance.

Jon
    96STS

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille

This Thread Is Useless Without Dashboard Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by 2dfx
    This Thread Is Useless Without Dashboard Pics!

If you are really "pimpin" with the 4.9L then you can very likely supply pictures with subjectmatter more interesting than dashboards, but since you ask, I will see what I can do. Is it the odometer you are interested in, or are you refering to the speedometer/tachometer readings.

Jon
    96STS

sprucegoose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I have a 93 Eldorado SC with an all original Northstar motor. It currently has 167K on it, and I expect to keep the car for at least another 2 years or so. It should easily have another 50K on it by that time. (especially because I love to drive this car any chance I get!)

One thing I was a little concerned about AFTER I bought this car this summer was oil consumption. I began reading all these complaints about this. I was extemely happy to find that mine uses only about 1/2 qt. between oil changes (about 4K miles), and I think that is due to seepage around the case seal and oil pan. Snugged up the bolts on the oil pan and it cut down the dripping quite a bit. Good luck with your 97 !

Loud 93 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    If it is pictures you want, Then pictures you shall get!
    Attached Images

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by jonrodman
    Hi,
    I visited the XMS site. I did not see any supercharger parts for the Northstar. Are superchargers available for the Northstars?
    Jon
    96STS

Not yet. They are still working on a s/c project, but it still isn't working 100% yet. I figure in the 2-3 yrs or so it'll take to get to 150k someone will have it done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.