Cadillac Owners Forum banner
256K views 511 replies 289 participants last post by  jmlcaton 
#1 ·
I have a 97 DeVille with 107400 original miles, which I know is not much compared to some of you. To figure out whether or not I can expect much more out of this engine, I would love to see how many of you have Northstars with higher mileage. If your engine is not the original, please let us know. Any major problems along the way would also be helpful, with mileages. I think that a thread like this could really help some of us anticipate problems and estimate the life of our engines!

Thanks,
Jim

My entry:
107400 miles original
no known major problems
now leaks a little oil (began around 100k)

#83 ·
i have 113k on my 95 sls .i just put new plugs in and my miles per gallon jumped from 17.5 to 24.3. whats every one else getting ? i was told i was doing good getting 17.5 in a v8 . hell now i'm gonna see if i can get it up to thirty....oh yeah i deliver pizzas in it too. i get alot of comments . no mayjor problems so far other that the rear air struts. and theres a noise when i turn the wheel to the left ... dont know what that is.. everything else is great
E

#86 · (Edited)
Bought in Feb 05. 182K and some change currently. I have service records from previous owner and these were replaced.
Head gaskets,water pump,and water pump pulley,right side valve cover gaskets.radiator hoses, thermostat,egr valve=132,443 miles
ac compressor=141,263 miles
currently need to replace power steering pump,shift solenoids, swaybar links and bushings.
Great car once these get done.

Passive struts(front),wheel bearing,wheel axle, and brake lines installed 1 week after I bought the car.182,299 miles

#87 ·
I have a '95 Eldorado with ~145K on it. Highway mileage is 29-31, and overall runs about 22-23. The engine has had very little work done to it (maintenance only), and so I consider this to be "broken in" mileage.

Hands down it beats my 2004 SRX for mileage, comfort, kick-you-back-into-the-seat, fun-to-drive, and cruising range. I'm glad I kept the Eldo when I got the SRX, and I will undoubtedly have the Eldo long after the SRX lease ends (and I don't get another one).

#90 ·
Hi, My 1997 eldo has turned 109,000, and has been maintained with coolant changes every summer, and oil and filter every 1500 miles. The car has been trouble free since going into service september 1996 with 3 miles on it. I plan to keep this car as long as possible, and with proper service hope to reach the 200k mark.

Attachments

#91 ·
In the 1960s I worked on a Kenworth truck that had over 3,500,000 miles on it; almost all on the Alaska Highway between Seattle and Fairbanks. It had averaged over 600 miles/day on the road since the day it was built. You guys have a long way to go.

#92 ·
I have read this whole thread and I seen the numerous years of different Cadillac with high miles, which is excellent! But I did not see one person post about a 97 SLS with high miles. I would think there would be someone out there with a high mileage 97 SLS. Mine has only 68000 miles and so far I have changed the Water pump belt and the Tensioner and the FPR. I just love this car!

David

#93 ·
There is a guy whose car is fairly gone past 400 K miles with the original engine .It's a '94 Cadillac Seville .

#95 ·
Did I already post in this thread? Don't know...

02 Deville - 158,000
01 Eldo - 81,000

Both cars have the entire original engne compartment, with the exceptioin of an A/C compressor on the Deville, and a battery in the Eldo.

For all I know, the D may have the factory plugs still on. Thing runs fine, 22+ mpg, never a miss....

#97 ·
Just met a guy with a 1990 Geo Metro with 577,000 miles on it. Says his only engine repair was a front seal. (I suspect he had replaced alt and starter too.)

He also had a little spiral notebook with notes on every thing he has ever done to this. Says he paid 6000 for it in 1990 and expected it to be a disposable car.

#99 ·
Just met a guy with a 1990 Geo Metro with 577,000 miles on it. Says his only engine repair was a front seal. (I suspect he had replaced alt and starter too.)
Half a million miles in a Metro isn't a record, it's a lifetime in purgatory. :)

Reactions: CadillacLuke24
#101 ·
I bought my '93 STS with 121,000 miles, with a spun rod bearing. I replaced the North* with a certified used , identical. I did re-newed everything on & around the engine & under hood. The replaced engine now has 130,000 and runs perfect for the last year & a half.

I should ask Alan Johnson of CHRF if he saw the cause of the spun rod, after giving him the old engine.